Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Is there any minority group out there that the liberal idiots won't try to scare into voting Democrat?
Good question, and I can't think of any!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Making it justifiable homicide to kill an abortion doctor isn't exactly what one would call a mainstream position--DO YA THINK?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Making it justifiable homicide to kill an abortion doctor isn't exactly what one would call a mainstream position--DO YA THINK?
You are correct but what does it have to do with the GOPs (supposed) War On Women?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
but that's not what is being proposed

This is the bill:

FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to expand the definition of justifiable homicide to provide for the protection of certain unborn children.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 22-16-34 be amended to read as follows:
22-16-34. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to harm the unborn child of such person in a manner and to a degree likely to result in the death of the unborn child, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.
Section 2. That § 22-16-35 be amended to read as follows:
22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being
accomplished.

has ZERO to due with abortion, or abortion doctors

its about DEFENSE of your property and the persons within your property (to include the unborn) when you are being robbed and a FELONY is being committed

its saying you are justified in protecting your property and loved-ones from TRESPASSERS

to say that it is making ity legal to kill abortion doctors is a LIE..you dont want to be called a LIAR now ..do you???

Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but that's not what is being proposed

This is the bill:

FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to expand the definition of justifiable homicide to provide for the protection of certain unborn children.
22-16-34. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person while resisting any attempt to murder such person, or to harm the unborn child of such person in a manner and to a degree likely to result in the death of the unborn child, or to commit any felony upon him or her, or upon or in any dwelling house in which such person is.
22-16-35. Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being
accomplished.

has ZERO to due with abortion, or abortion doctors

its about DEFENSE of your property and the persons within your property (to include the unborn) when you are being robbed and a FELONY is being committed

its saying you are justified in protecting your property and loved-ones from TRESPASSERS

to say that it is making ity legal to kill abortion doctors is a LIE..you dont want to be called a LIAR now ..do you???

My understanding is that the last paragraph is vague enough to cover this. I'm too nice to call you a liar (it's not polite, but you obviously don't get that) but the language is pretty clear. I'm not a routine abortion supporter, but I think it has a place in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in danger. This legislation does exactly what I said. Are you trying to deliberately mislead people?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
This bill was listed as one of the samples of the "GOP's war on women".
Do you think that this is the intent of the bill? In other words do you really believe that the intention of the bill is to prevent abortions?

I don't see it. In fact, I believe that anyone who does see it would have to be an unhinged, frothing at the mouth pro-choicer.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Might wanna take your own advice....

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/5f5b643d.png

Old 02-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This bill was listed as one of the samples of the "GOP's war on women".
Do you think that this is the intent of the bill? In other words do you really believe that the intention of the bill is to prevent abortions?

I don't see it. In fact, I believe that anyone who does see it would have to be an unhinged, frothing at the mouth pro-choicer.
I hate to burst your bubble, but that wouldn't be me. I'm pretty conservative on the abortion issue.

The bill didn't initially have the language they were concerned about, but it was amended in committee by a very anti-abortion rep. Although some in the right to life movement were concerned it would incite violence as an excuse for murdering docs, others cheered it on. The defense most commonly used by folks who shoot abortion docs is justifiable homicide. Doesn't matter now--the controversy has it stalled in committee as of last week, until the language is brought back to the original or dropped.

Dave Leach (quoted from the article), an anti abortion activist: “There may be something I’m overlooking, but from all appearances, this bill would certainly justify an individual taking the life of an abortionist in order to save human lives,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/us/17dakota.html

Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
My understanding is that the last paragraph is vague enough to cover this. I'm too nice to call you a liar (it's not polite, but you obviously don't get that) but the language is pretty clear. I'm not a routine abortion supporter, but I think it has a place in cases of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in danger. This legislation does exactly what I said. Are you trying to deliberately mislead people?
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but that wouldn't be me. I'm pretty conservative on the abortion issue.

The bill didn't initially have the language they were concerned about, but it was amended in committee by a very anti-abortion rep. Although some in the right to life movement were concerned it would incite violence as an excuse for murdering docs, others cheered it on. The defense most commonly used by folks who shoot abortion docs is justifiable homicide. Doesn't matter now--the controversy has it stalled in committee as of last week, until the language is brought back to the original or dropped.

Dave Leach (quoted from the article), an anti abortion activist: “There may be something I’m overlooking, but from all appearances, this bill would certainly justify an individual taking the life of an abortionist in order to save human lives,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/us/17dakota.html
just because someones OPINION says it COULD justify, this doesnt mean the laws or proposed laws states it

it is CLEAR it is taling about

to say that it is making ity legal to kill abortion doctors would be spinning it way out tof the ballpark

repeating a lie, is still a lie

again the exact law

This is the bill:

accomplished.

NO-WHERE does it talk about abortion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies