Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
But, but, Clinton signed it!
And he was wrong to. I will credit Clinton with enough sense to know that it didn't matter that he signed it, since the courts are going to dispense with the issue sooner or later.

Quote:
This is obviously a political move by Obama to garner more support from the homosexual community for his re-election. I guess the Obama campaign lies and broken promise circle is nearing completion?
OMG. You've discovered the conspiracy. Obama is a politician that wants to get re-elected.

And it's not just the homosexual community. It's the community of people that believe the Equal Protection clause means what is says, and that it's nobody's damn business if two people of the same sex want to live as a married couple and enjoy that status just like everyone else.

You don't have to be gay to support their rights, anymore than one has to be black to not be a racist.

I have NEVER heard a logical argument against gay marriage. Not one.

Quote:
This actually removes the right of the states to make the decision about same-sex marriage does it not?
States don't get to decide things that violate the US Constitution. They've gotten away with this for a long time, but that time is over.

Just like it was for miscegenation laws, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Mebbie Chucky Schumer was on to something when he enumerated the
three branches of government, conveniently omitting the Judicial branch.
Here we have the Executive branch deciding a law is "unconstitutional."
It's good to be King.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
This President has truly bizarre priorities.

When people are looking for a fix to the job situation, this is what gets most attention

Now there will a media maelstrom and the sheep will be temporarily forgetful of the worsening econ and dashing oil prices.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
About time.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
First, YAY, it's about damn time!

Second, I read the linked article, and all I have to say is that John Boehner is a freaking hypocritical tool.
"While Americans want Washington to focus on creating jobs and cutting spending, the president will have to explain why he thinks now is the appropriate time to stir up a controversial issue that sharply divides the nation," said Boehner's spokesman Michael Steel.
PUH-lease give me a break! What the hell was that "de-fund Planned Parenthood" garbage, except to stir up a controversial issue that sharply divides the nation? He sure as hell knows it's not going anywhere legislatively. It was grandstanding, plain and simple. Yet he dares make such an allegation about the President who is actually doing something about a law that is in violation of the Constitution? He's a real piece of work.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
But, but, Clinton signed it!

This is obviously a political move by Obama to garner more support from the homosexual community for his re-election. I guess the Obama campaign lies and broken promise circle is nearing completion?

This actually removes the right of the states to make the decision about same-sex marriage does it not?

I would think that even a conservative would understand how stupid it is to invoke states rights as a good reason to continue denying certain people their civil rights. I suppose you think that those uppity blacks should have just found a way to move to a free state and spared us all the trouble of a Civil War too? Equality and freedom shouldn't end at the border of any state.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This President has truly bizarre priorities.

When people are looking for a fix to the job situation, this is what gets most attention
Hahahahahahhaha. How is it that reconsidering a stance in a lawsuit involving the federal government = the thing President Obama is spending the most time on?

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh yeah, that rule-of-law president (only when it suit you) has ruled DOMA unconstitutional - I though courts were supposed to do that.
More likely, obama sees his coalition crumbling around him and is trying to shore up segments.
Obama once again shows his true colors.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Maybe he's discovered that he's gay...

Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Maybe he's discovered that he's gay...
Maybe he just chose to turn off his sexual attraction towards women and turn on sexual attraction towards men. It's not like it's hard to do - there's a button for it on your right thigh. Hopefully he'll come to his senses tomorrow, press the button again, and then go back to discrimination against gays when it comes to civil marriage contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies