Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Not all will get fired but the rules stipulate notices go out by March 1 and Providence doesn't know the extent of it's budget problems so everyone of the teachers got a notice of possible layoff.

The union is a bit upset. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to balance budgets. At least they didn't try to take away any union rights.

Providence teachers receive layoff notices in budget crunch - Feb. 23, 2011
"This unprecedented action sacrifices the best interest of Providence students and teachers in the name of flexibility," said Steve Smith, president of the Providence Teachers Union. "This is a slap in the face to teachers who have supported the district in nationally recognized labor-management collaboration initiatives which have occurred in our city over the past two years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
what i would like to hear is that happening to all the too fat bureaucratic branches of the government..

Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Just layoffs?
Public schools need to be shut down completely, layoffs are a band aid on a cancer.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

371 posts, read 393,278 times
I was talking with my dad about schools. He is 58 years old, and when he attended school he said classes were 30-40 people strong.

I was looking into Japan's schools, and it appears they have maintained 30-40 kids per class.

We could save billions by switching to larger class sizes.

Yes, a lot of people will be laid off. But better they suffer than everyone else.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I was talking with my dad about schools. He is 58 years old, and when he attended school he said classes were 30-40 people strong.

I was looking into Japan's schools, and it appears they have maintained 30-40 kids per class.

We could save billions by switching to larger class sizes.

Yes, a lot of people will be laid off. But better they suffer than everyone else.

But those who have learning disabilities and do not know it, will get lost within the suffle of such a large classroom. Some kids do not know that they have a learning disibility until they are much older.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just layoffs?
Public schools need to be shut down completely, layoffs are a band aid on a cancer.
Sad! There are those who want better for their children and then there are those who selfishly don't give a damn!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM

371 posts, read 393,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
But those who have learning disabilities and do not know it, will get lost within the suffle of such a large classroom. Some kids do not know that they have a learning disibility until they are much older.
I hear the excuses, but I always question how other countries do it better, for less and with more kids.

Singapore, Japan, Korea and China all have larger class sizes and get better results.

I know for some reason we're focused on the lowest performing students in America, which seems incredibly stupid to me. A kid with an IQ of <85 we will dump twice the money into educating, when he doesn't have the capability to ever return that investment to society. At my own high school we had classes for "learning challenged" kids. They rarely had over 10 students, and those students will NEVER go on to college. Their education cost 3 times as much, and they can never return that investment to society.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
So how long will the children get a break from the propaganda and indoctrination?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Sad! There are those who want better for their children and then there are those who selfishly don't give a damn!
Public teachers and their union?

We are in agreement then.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Actually class sizes in Japan run about 45-50. But there you have a homogenous society that self-regulates those who don't fit in and tracking. Neither of which we have.

Those of you who want to see class sizes of 40 please come visit me and help correct the tests I gave today for my class of 41. Five essays. Two hundred and five essays to be read, graded and posted by 3PM tomorrow in order to get them in for progress reports. Or my other class (Econ, 35 tests with 40 objective questions which include 6 data analysis short answer writings and 2 additional long form essays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies