Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,647,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Holy clueless statement Batman!

Please.

Look at our history.

"Tyrants" in South America? Support them or don't care enough to risk thousand of American lives. "Tyrants" in Africa? Support them or don't care enough to risk thousands of American lives. "Tyrants" in the Middle East? Support them or risk thousands of American lives trying to take them down.

What is the major difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,777,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Yes, I must.

Our dependence on oil is what forces people who wear a uniform, like myself and my wife, to go to war.

There are far bigger tyrants in Africa. Why don't we "bring democracy" to that part of the world? Oh, that's right, no oil. Oh, and no Israel.

If you really want to support your country and its troops, stop using so much damn oil. It's not rocket science. Oh, I forgot, you need that 10 MPG behemoth to take the "troops" to soccer practice. You know, because kids never played sports before SUV.
There you go being an a$$ again.

Oil doesn't force people to wear a uniform. The military is voluntary... it's yours and your wife's fault you're wearing a uniform. And no, you don't get special consideration in this discussion because of it. Go look somewhere else for that.

And I don't need a 10mpg behemoth to take the "troops" to soccer practice. I have neither a behemoth, troops, or a desire to attend any soccer practices or games.

Now quit being such a jerk and keep to topic. Surprise me.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,647,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
There you go being an a$$ again.

Oil doesn't force people to wear a uniform. The military is voluntary... it's yours and your wife's fault you're wearing a uniform. And no, you don't get special consideration in this discussion because of it. Go look somewhere else for that.

And I don't need a 10mpg behemoth to take the "troops" to soccer practice. I have neither a behemoth, troops, or a desire to attend any soccer practices or games.

Now quit being such a jerk and keep to topic. Surprise me.
Keep to topic? I said I am not struggling with high gas prices. Is that not the topic? You just thought I was not kind enough in my delivery and decided to make a post about it.

I find it offensive that you say it is my "fault" or my wife's "fault " that we have chosen to serve our country in its military. Wow. You would rather blame the troops who join instead of the leaders who send them to war. It's great to know that "patriots" like you have our backs.

I know oil does not force anyone to wear a uniform. It does, however, put those who wear a uniform for the United States in danger. You're a fool if you don't believe that.

Last edited by Knox Harrington; 02-25-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,403,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Oil is a dwindling resource, but the recent drastic hikes in prices are almost solely due to the Libyan and Egyptian conflicts. They probably will rise higher and then crash once the Libyan crisis is over, assuming that Iran or Saudi Arabia do not have experience similar instability. If they do (and I honestly don't think Saudi Arabia will), you may see pump prices skyrocket.
It isn't dwindling actually. That is only what the Oil barons want you to think. If the TRUTH be told is it ABIOTIC and replenishes itself. Look it up.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,403,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I think anyone who has a vehicle other than a company car is suffering around this country. Even if you don't drive, it affects everyone because everything you buy is getting expensive.

I don't drive that much though.
l

It is all the bailouts; the "quantitative easing (printing money and expanding the money supply by doing it) that is the reason everything is so expensive and prices go up. The more dollars that are printed, the more dollars it will take to buy what just one dollar bought BEFORE the money supply was altered.

You can thank the Federal Reserve and Ben Bernanke and Obama and Congress for letting the Federal Reserve get away with this. They are giving taxpayer dollars away to BIG banks and BIG corporations who have the benefit of and opportunity to use the money BEFORE it loses its purchasing power.

FACT: The U.S. Dollar has lost 98% of its purchasing power since 1913 thanks to the FED.

Imagine what you could do with your money if the dollar had maintained its purchasing power as gold has and you only would need to spend 2% of what you do now for food energy and clothes. Imagine what a BETTER standard of living you'd have-- rather than a decreasing one as you find it takes more and more of your $$ to buy the same as it used to.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,120,581 times
Im not struggling yet, but I have to admit, I may be by summer. Partly my own fault for taking a chance and getting my first home last year. I shouldve waited but it was hard to pass up a tiny drop in an already over priced housing market here in CT.

I wish work was close enough to bike too and Id probably do it. I really wish we couldve done our own drilling. Yes I realize it is sold but the more that is out there, the lower the price. Obviously I wish we could just drill and use it ourselves instead of selling it but that would never happen.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,514,785 times
Quote:
I hope gas goes to $10 per gallon. Screw these idiots who chose to buy large SUV and live 50 miles from their workplace.
Morons.
What, you never thought gas might go up?
Morons.
Smart people like me planned ahead. We bought fuel-efficient vehicles and bought houses near our workplaces. I don't give a $hit if gas goes to $10 per gallon. I will be just fine.
Morons.
Lovely post. Just lovely.
So people who drive large cars are all morons but you are a "smart people" lol!

Some people can actually afford to drive large vehicles and have no problem with the gas prices becasue they live within their means and make a good living.
I've never understand the displaced anger and hate at people who drive larger vehicles.
Dont get me wrong I drive a subaru but I don't hate on people who drive larger cars.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,646,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oil is not a dwindling resource. That is a total myth. Who is telling you that?

Industry experts now believe that the earth is constantly producing oil. The old "dinosaur theory" has long ago been rejected. New finds of oil have been huge, and we keep discovering more.

Further, we have more oil here in America than all of the Middle East combined, we are told, and we now have new processes that will allow us to extract the oil that is in the Dakota's (I believe that's where it is... I forget ... I just heard about this the other day on the news)

We are an oil rich nation.

We will never not need oil. There is nothing to replace it with, and more products come from oil than you can imagine. Without oil we would be back to the dark ages. Oil is the fuel that drives our industries, and quite literally, our life style.

Obama is hurting his country by preventing us from obtaining and developing our own reserves. He is in violation of a court order to end the ban in the gulf, and his attitude and policies are completely wrong, and short sighted. The sooner he is out of office the better. The man is a joke.
Most geologist, international energy agencies, government agencies and oil companies would disagree with you.

Just a start.
Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,646,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We have hundreds of years worth of oil within US boundaries but the goventment has had it inexcessible. A POTUS who wanted the USA to maintain its exceptionality would not be working as an obstruction to accessing it while intently researching/developing future energy sources.

Meanwhile the Saudies are talking about ramping up production. Do we want to keep sending our wealth and the lives of our young men and women overseas because it does not fit Obama's agenda to "Drill Here/Drill Now" ?

The Fed is playing a role in pushing oil and food prices higher. We can either sit back and take it or fight the far left cronies and Obama with every legislative and judicial means available!
If memory serves me correct, oil hit a record high of over $140 per barrel in 2008, when Bush was president.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,556,342 times
Quote:
I hope gas goes to $10 per gallon. Screw these idiots who chose to buy large SUV and live 50 miles from their workplace.

Morons.

What, you never thought gas might go up?

Morons.

Smart people like me planned ahead. We bought fuel-efficient vehicles and bought houses near our workplaces. I don't give a $hit if gas goes to $10 per gallon. I will be just fine.

Morons.
I thnik somene is unhappy;LOLTo quote a not famous person;Dude;that was uncalled for.

Last edited by texdav; 02-25-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies