Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support allowing people to opt out of Social Security
Yes, I support this 50 70.42%
No, I do not support this 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
SS is a bit of a Ponzi scheme, in that the gov't set it up originally 2 years later to collect than life expectancy.

We're also eating our own bitter fruit; it would have far more of a reserve were it not for 50 million abortions, which warped the ratio of Baby Boomer retirees to workers.
So... 50 million more people would equal 50 million more jobs?

Please tell us just how that would work.

Seems to me it would mean 50 million more people without jobs.

50 million more people in need of government assistance just to survive.

Last edited by Annie53; 02-24-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So please, do tell.....since government happens to be the biggest perpetrators of "thuggery," you didn't vote in the last elections, did you? Cuz i wouldn't want you voting for "thugs."
I'd say taking my money against my will defines 'thuggery'. I voted for the only honest man in politics- Ron Paul. See how far that got. Thugs.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Would you support legislation that would allow Americans at will to completely opt out of SS and refund anything they were forced to pay into the fund? This would be a one time opt out, once you choose to opt out you're out for good and you can't opt back in. If you opt out you get a check for the amount that you paid in, no interest or deductions.
Sure. We will never see a dime anyway. It is just an additional tax.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'd say taking my money against my will defines 'thuggery'. I voted for the only honest man in politics- Ron Paul. See how far that got. Thugs.
You voted, you got representation. That representation decided for the greater good to take part of your money.

They took approximately 33% of the money I made last year.

I can complain about the amount of money they are taking, and vote to try and get what I want, but calling them thugs or hinting that they are stealing your money is hardly true.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Your threshold for what you call thuggery is pretty damn low. Sorry, but paying taxes isn't thuggery. Try living in a nation that has no taxes and see how that works out. And Ron Paul may be honest, but since he's always talking about the need for less government, i find it odd that he obviously loves working for the government so much that he passed the same trait off to his son.

Funny how that works...huh?

Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
There is no law that compels all Americans to enroll / participate.
There is no law that punishes any American who does not enroll / nor participates.

There are laws that state if you DO participate, you are obligated to provide SSN and other documentation.

It is 100% voluntary - voluntary servitude.
If it was mandatory, it would violate the 13th amendment.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Since 1933, no dollars have circulated. Federal Reserve notes (aka "dollar bills") are not dollars, by law.

Since FICA began in 1935, no one has paid a "dollar" into the kitty. And since FRNs have no par value (worthless), you have no legal claim of any value on the "trust fund". You paid "nothing of value" to the government, and they owe you nothing of value in return.

---------------------
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx" Federal Reserve notes are not redeemable in gold, silver or any other commodity, and receive no backing by anything. This has been the case since 1933. The notes have no value for themselves, but for what they will buy. In another sense, because they are legal tender, Federal Reserve notes are "backed" by all the goods and services in the economy."

Thanks to the 304 million "human resources" pledged via FICA...

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Default Do you support allowing people to opt out of Social Security?

I support raising the maximum contribution.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
Social Security is like a chain letter. Or like taking blood out of one arm and running it over to the other arm and spilling a bunch of it on the way!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Would you support legislation that would allow Americans at will to completely opt out of SS and refund anything they were forced to pay into the fund? This would be a one time opt out, once you choose to opt out you're out for good and you can't opt back in. If you opt out you get a check for the amount that you paid in, no interest or deductions.
Yes, I agree, but maybe not with your system of how it gets paid back. I think I should get interest on my investment, and I think my employers should also get their portion plus interest.

However, we would need a way to ensure that people who opt out but don't make wise choices with that money (the money they would be paying in) are not allowed to live off the public dole when they feel like "retiring" down the road. That's the only problem I have with making it optional and/or privatization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies