Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,818,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes they can. The price reflects the new reality. As do short sales.
Really?
Not what we were told(could be our state...)and not what I have found from a quick look online...

To add,the rural 'development' we are in has 22 lots,only about five have homes built,the rest sit empty and natural.But the property value of the land has fallen according to the county appraisal,yet there are no foreclosures in the immediate area....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM

45,040 posts, read 60,074,533 times
Maybe. Using foreclosures/comps is done in MD. Have had Realtors, homeowners trying to re-finance complain about it. Appraisers have confirmed that it's done. Which only makes sense.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,510,687 times
We've been fortunate that DH has a good sense about the actual worth of property from his experience in real estate, so we've not had to face this situation. Still, if I did find myself in that situation, I don't believe my sense of community and self-respect would allow me to walk away from a commitment I had made.

There are options available to everyone:
  • If I could find a way to work with the bank to avoid default, I would.
  • If not, I would look at home-sharing. We've rented a portion of our homes up until a year ago, since '97. It is how we've managed to accomplish our financial objectives.
  • If I couldn't share my home, and couldn't avoid default any other way, I would first try to rent it for my loan payment, or sell it at a loss.
Walking away from one's commitments hurts everyone in the community.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe. Using foreclosures/comps is done in MD. Have had Realtors, homeowners trying to re-finance complain about it. Appraisers have confirmed that it's done. Which only makes sense.
Post #4.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/forec...nto-comps.html

Of course what is supposed to be done and what IS/WAS done aren't the same...

Appraisers basically ask us what the house needs to be worth....banks lending money without getting any appraisal at all....

Old 07-16-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Post #4.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/forec...nto-comps.html

Of course what is supposed to be done and what IS/WAS done aren't the same...

Appraisers basically ask us what the house needs to be worth....banks lending money without getting any appraisal at all....

If you notice that is a reference from 4 years ago. The world has changed since then.

Just went to a seminar at a convention where this exact subject (foreclosure impact on property values in municipalities) was the topic.
Actually the title was "Impact of Foreclosures on Municipal Property Values and Services).

Old 07-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
If you notice that is a reference from 4 years ago. The world has changed since then.

Just went to a seminar at a convention where this exact subject (foreclosure impact on property values in municipalities) was the topic.
Actually the title was "Impact of Foreclosures on Municipal Property Values and Services).
Has the definition of market value been changed?
I don't really care if foreclosures/short sales ARE included really....people can't get annoyed that something as ethereal as your home's 'value' goes up or down....

Your home is only worth what it sells for,no more and no less,if it sells for less than you think it is worth,that is a problem with your perception of reality...

Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 AM

No the definition of market value hasn't changed. It is now, and will remain, what you can be paid for any product or service.

You and I are arguing over nothing, really. The fact is that foreclosures/short sales do impact market value whether they're included in comps or not. No one wants to buy on a street/development that has a lot of foreclosures. That's an impact.

An indirect impact is on assessments. MD reassesses every third year (1/3 of a political subdivision per year) and don't think that foreclosures haven't been figured in. What was funny was that people complained when their assessments rose (mostly because they didn't understand that they were Homestead limited on taxes for anything over a 10% increase) and the same people are now complaining because their assessments have dropped, 30% or more in some areas.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,097,776 times
Default my point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The bank, for one. Also their neighbors (in all likelihood), as short-sales or bank-owned sales typically drive down property values for the entire neighborhood.
Which is the the reason ours went upside down....you wrapped up ALL of my posts in one small paragraph.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,191,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
If a homeowner owes more on their mortage than the home is currently worth, say

Mortgage: $200,000
Value: $100,000
Under water: $100,000

Would it be wrong for him/her to stop making payments and walk away?

I AM upside down and I have no intention of walking away
wht am I going to do try and sell it and still owe money, try and buy another house and then be in a worse state?
No, I am dancing with the house I bought 15 years ago and I am hoping come 2012, we will kick Obama and his croonies to the street and do something to hopefully salvage the counrty, but the other pary better get their act together because they too are flapping all over the lake
but they are still better than the hack running the ship right now

Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 PM

26,687 posts, read 41,585,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
If a homeowner owes more on their mortage than the home is currently worth, say

Mortgage: $200,000
Value: $100,000
Under water: $100,000

Would it be wrong for him/her to stop making payments and walk away?
After reading a bunch of pages on this thread, here's my opinion.

Is it MORALLY wrong?

Answer: Yes. You gave a promise you would pay a debt and signed for it. Your neighbors will lose money on their homes also so you are ing them also.

Can it be a justifiable financial decision?

Answer: Yes. If you are in a big financial hole anyway, why bother keeping up a house that won't regain it's value for awhile, if ever? If it interferes with feeding your family, to h&#@ with morals, your neighbors housing values, and community spirit, your family needs to eat. The banks made loans that defied logic and good sense. Not many should cry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies