Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
At $30 per hr everyone that was working a minimum wage job should be able to buy a $180K house. Or so. That is my point. We are way over built on houses. This is going to be driving the prices down for a very long time to come. Decades. Tens of years. If you want this mess to be over in your lifetime then up minimum wage by 4X now!!!!

LOL....maybe even dozens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the house hasnt change, but the COST sure has

in my ares a basic house was 125-150k in 1995....in 2005 a basic house was 450-500k....dont you just think that housing prices need to comeback down to where a workingclass person can afford it

why would you CONTINUE to deVlaue the dollar

you do realize that increasing the minimum would also increase EVERY OTHER salary out there,,, and the cost of every ITEM we buy with those dollars...or should we go the way of the ruuble(sp?)
Um, I think they ARE working class people who are buying them.

They are just people who earn more than average.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oooh! Oooh! Let's give everyone 1 million bucks a year, for the rest of their life, too! Then we can all be millionaires and live millionaire life styles!

Even the door man would be a millionaire! That guy, making your burger, a millionaire! Your fishmonger, your butcher, the girl at the cash register, all millionaires! It would be a Utopia....hey, wait a minute.....
Yea!

Then we can tax them at 90% and pay off the debt!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You are either still too young to have had a real job or you have never had a private sector job in your life. In the real world, people get raises for their performance and your salary is determined by skill and the free markets.
Every skill set has a value to someone.

That value is different from person to person and region to region.

I've asked this question many times in different threads and have never gotten an answer.

What is the value of having a pizza delivered to you?

20 years ago, it was $1. To many it was some spare change.

Today, many people STILL give the guy $1. Why?

What about a baby sitter?

What do you pay a baby sitter?

Or the bagger at the grocery store?

Do you now pay a pizza delivery guy $4? Why not? Doesn't he "deserve" it?

Think things through before speaking.

The one eyed man is king in the land of the blind!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Eliminate the minimum wage. If you want to earn more, then make yourself worth more!

Some have trouble with this simple concept. You know people that want to be taken care of and think the world, and their country owes them something. You know the ole, "living wage" argument.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
We have been living on an exponential debt curve. We have been on it for thousands of yours. It is an exponential debt curve. It goes like this next year we need about 3% more debt than this year etc. Going forward for the first 50~60 years the curve is very flat. Then it goes vertical. It has been doing this from the tulip bulb bubble Or get the banks to put that amount in deposit in the fed as reserves. It wasn’t our government that printed the money.
Debt has cycled, we are at a massive cyclical peak. Again. debt based currency can only exist with debt.

The problem I see with your focus is you keep looking at the symptoms, not the disease, you will never find the correct prescription that way.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:28 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
Well, you know, lazy people deserve wealth too.. it's not their fault they have no motivation or marketable skills. They've been beat down by the rest of us all their lives and have just given up. I SO feel sorry for them and feel they absolutely deserve at least $20/hour. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Now who wants what's left in the crack pipe? OP?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Knowing that 4X is a brand of condom, I thought, you'd still get screwed. Of course, not all jobs are subject to minimum wage. Chicago cab drivers reportedly earn about half that and a recent report said that some multilevel marketers average $1.50 an hour. That does not take into account some who pay illegal aliens less.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
it is convenient to have a unit of exchange of wealth. A lot of people confuse the unit for the real thing. A dollar isn't wealth it is a carrier of wealth. It allows the transfer of wealth from one location to another conveniently. With a dilution of the worlds reserve by a 3X in ten years we will be seeing inflation. With the feds printing press in overdrive we will be seeing a lot of it.

Well you can melt down zinc pennies for a profit so the dollar isn't even worth its weight in zinc.
I only got so much use of zinc. I wish the blasted things were pewter.
I agree the paper dollar is a tool, but you can't say what the tool will buy on a given day anymore. Once for it you could have gold and or silver, which was the basis if the value. Today there isn't even the slighest feeble promise of squat.

A million bucks could be just that a hell of a lot of little green papers, and if the Japanese and the Euro have their way the USD will be phased right out of existance.

I don't know if you are into metals and the like, but i can't understand why coins are made as bi-metals as brass and nickel (the Euro and some Canadian coins) Combined with acids of human fingers it creates toxins.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Because the worlds monetary base did a 3.3333X over the last decade, with the printed money going through the US economy, and we need to up the minimum wage just to keep up with inflation.
Why? The government just takes most of it away in the form of taxes either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies