Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In other Wisconsin news, the legislative process continues...

... with 14 less opponents.

The Democrats are "opponents" to the legislative process? Innnnteresting POV!
I just found this post, Kat. I am sorry to have missed the whole thread because you libs seem to not know that the Senate can't do anything without the 14 "runners". I guess you failed to see the "friend" of yours who said that anything they pass without the runners will be remembered and the voters will get even.

Is there a chance that that bunch will take up residence in Illinois to make sure that they don't get blamed for anything that is done without them? I believe they may do just that.

24 hours and the Governor starts laying off members of the unions. I can't wait.

Last edited by roysoldboy; 02-28-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I just found this post, Kat. I am sorry to have missed the whole thread because you libs seem to not know that the Senate can't do anything without the 14 "runners". Nothing is passing there except in the House and Dems don't have enough seats to swing what they would want to do, like in the Senate.
Not quite, roys. The Wisconsin Senate can't operate w/o a quorum. Right now, if all the Reps show up, they are still one person short of a quorum. I have known this for at least two weeks now.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Not quite, roys. The Wisconsin Senate can't operate w/o a quorum. Right now, if all the Reps show up, they are still one person short of a quorum. I have known this for at least two weeks now.
I think you're wrong on that Kat. I think they only need a quorum for budget issues, and the rest is a majority vote. I couldn't easily find a link that outlines the rules for the Wisconsin Senate, but I've found a number of articles that refer to those rules.

"Unable to act on Walker's proposal, the remaining Republicans instead took up some non-controversial measures, voting to extend tax breaks to dairy farmers and unanimously commending the Green Bay Packers on winning the Super Bowl. The Senate does not need a quorum to deal with non-budget matters."

Read more: Wisconsin lawmakers take up bill to cripple unions - DailyHerald.com

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you're wrong on that Kat. I think they only need a quorum for budget issues, and the rest is a majority vote. I couldn't easily find a link that outlines the rules for the Wisconsin Senate, but I've found a number of articles that refer to those rules.

"Unable to act on Walker's proposal, the remaining Republicans instead took up some non-controversial measures, voting to extend tax breaks to dairy farmers and unanimously commending the Green Bay Packers on winning the Super Bowl. The Senate does not need a quorum to deal with non-budget matters."

Read more: Wisconsin lawmakers take up bill to cripple unions - DailyHerald.com
I stand corrected.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
In other Wisconsin news, the legislative process continues...

... with 14 less opponents.

The Democrats are "opponents" to the legislative process? Innnnteresting POV!

It is interesting since these 14 cowards are hiding out in IL and are opposing the legislative process through delereliction of their duty to the citizens of the state of Wisconsin. I would say that is an interesting and accurate POV.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I just found this post, Kat. I am sorry to have missed the whole thread because you libs seem to not know that the Senate can't do anything without the 14 "runners". I guess you failed to see the "friend" of yours who said that anything they pass without the runners will be remembered and the voters will get even.

Is there a chance that that bunch will take up residence in Illinois to make sure that they don't get blamed for anything that is done without them? I believe they may do just that.

24 hours and the Governor starts laying off members of the unions. I can't wait.
Where's the confusion Roy? The republicans in the Senate have a majority. They can vote on any bill there with a simple majority, except for budget bills, which requires a 2/3 quorum. If they're going to vote on a straight party line, they've always had the votes to do it. If they do things with that majority vote that the electorate in Wisconsin doesn't want, they're going to be held accountable for it by voters--it's democracy 101.

The R's tried to force through the budget bill in days--they even purposefully tricked the democrats in the house by telling them the wrong time for the vote, and surprise surprise--that bill has lots of hidden goodies--like the governor's office taking complete control of Medicare rules in the state with no additional oversight, another provision giving him the power to sell the state's public power districts without a competitive bid or public input, and the one they noticed first--the gutting of collective bargaining for public workers.

The governor wanted to do this quickly, so the public didn't have time to weigh in on any of those issues, and so there would be no debate in the House or Senate Chambers. The Senators left to give the public time to speak out, and other members of the Senate time to think through if this is really how they want to do things. Overall, I think it's been a very effective strategy. Let's just hope a couple more moderate Republicans come forward to do the right thing. If not, I don't think I'd be so sure that the Dem's are going to be the ones blamed for the layoffs--people don't like sleezy tricks, and they don't like ideologues. I'm ashamed to even call these people republicans--this isn't the way the party I grew up in used to do business.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
OR JUST MAYBE because forcing people to show photo ID at the polls more severely impacts voters in urban areas (who tend to vote democratic) who don't have driver's licenses and could very well show up to vote without proper ID on them. I'm not a liberal, but AT LEAST I THINK. Is everything a conspiracy theory to you people?

EDIT--in the Midwest, it's not that big of an issue, because we all have to drive everywhere anyway, and most people carry their driver's licenses on them. With students on campuses with public transportation, it becomes more of an issue for Dem's even here.

I'm not a liberal, but I think any plans to restrict voter's access to the polls for political reasons are well...just sleezy.

Anyone can walk into the city or town clerks office and get a voter registration card. It may or may not be a photo ID, but it can be checked against the registrar's record at the clerks office if the vote or voter is in question. We don't need another law, we merely need the people who operate the election process to be sworn and certain the person who is attempting to vote is registered, and who they say they are, to the election headquarter's personnel.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Where's the confusion Roy? The republicans in the Senate have a majority. They can vote on any bill there with a simple majority, except for budget bills, which requires a 2/3 quorum. If they're going to vote on a straight party line, they've always had the votes to do it. If they do things with that majority vote that the electorate in Wisconsin doesn't want, they're going to be held accountable for it by voters--it's democracy 101.

The R's tried to force through the budget bill in days--they even purposefully tricked the democrats in the house by telling them the wrong time for the vote, and surprise surprise--that bill has lots of hidden goodies--like the governor's office taking complete control of Medicare rules in the state with no additional oversight, another provision giving him the power to sell the state's public power districts without a competitive bid or public input, and the one they noticed first--the gutting of collective bargaining for public workers.

The governor wanted to do this quickly, so the public didn't have time to weigh in on any of those issues, and so there would be no debate in the House or Senate Chambers. The Senators left to give the public time to speak out, and other members of the Senate time to think through if this is really how they want to do things. Overall, I think it's been a very effective strategy. Let's just hope a couple more moderate Republicans come forward to do the right thing. If not, I don't think I'd be so sure that the Dem's are going to be the ones blamed for the layoffs--people don't like sleezy tricks, and they don't like ideologues. I'm ashamed to even call these people republicans--this isn't the way the party I grew up in used to do business.
The problem for the Gov is that the Moderate Repubs in the Senate are starting to look like they might not back him and if that happens the Gov is toast. He is itching, like a few regressives here, to lay off a few thousand workers to make an example and of course to show the world he is a Man. We shall see. where it leads, I have some guesses but it much more fun to watch unfold.
Casper

Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The problem for the Gov is that the Moderate Repubs in the Senate are starting to look like they might not back him and if that happens the Gov is toast. He is itching, like a few regressives here, to lay off a few thousand workers to make an example and of course to show the world he is a Man. We shall see. where it leads, I have some guesses but it much more fun to watch unfold.
Casper
I don't think it's a done deal for the three moderate R's they need to join in by far, but they, for the most part, are from districts with a significant chunk of union membership. I'd read someplace else that the some R's were so mad at the moderate R that was trying to negotiate a compromise that they wanted him completely thrown out of the Republican caucus--how's that for a 'big tent" philosophy and a democratically run body? I think the moderates are in a tough spot--if they defy the governor they're putting themselves on the hot seat, but if they don't, they'll not only have a recall vote after them, but they'll probably lose their seat anyway in the next round of elections.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a done deal for the three moderate R's they need to join in by far, but they, for the most part, are from districts with a significant chunk of union membership. I'd read someplace else that the some R's were so mad at the moderate R that was trying to negotiate a compromise that they wanted him completely thrown out of the Republican caucus--how's that for a 'big tent" philosophy and a democratically run body? I think the moderates are in a tough spot--if they defy the governor they're putting themselves on the hot seat, but if they don't, they'll not only have a recall vote after them, but they'll probably lose their seat anyway in the next round of elections.

It sounds like you believe every blog you read.

The union character is showing the nation what it is all about, very well without any help from a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies