Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
They certainly didn't last November.
Actually they did, though not as strongly as 08. Moderates broke for Democrats 55-42, Obama won moderates 60-39 in 2008. The big issue was with turnout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
They certainly didn't last November.
Mid-term elections typically have lower turn-outs than presidential elections. If you look at the 2008 presidential elections the Republcian Candidate did very good in very Conservative states. i.e. states above 42.7% Conservatives according to the O.P. They did not do nearly as well in states below that percentage. The problem is this the states below the 42.7% number have larger populations and more electoral votes. Now ask yourself this. Has the Republican Party moved closer to the center in the last three years or harder to the right?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Actually this isn't good news for the republicans if they move the party far right (which is what it obviously appears they're trying to do). If you include radical social conservative issues under "conservative"--not just economic issues--and that becomes the agenda (like union busting), the moderates won't vote R in that case--do you get it? Add the number of moderates to dems, and see where that puts you in all but the top 10 conservative states. Swing voters win elections.

More swing voters turn out in presidential races--lots more.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,400 times
If we want to see more on the conservative side, then it's time we started winning over more moderates. I wish that, for just a little while, the republican party would stop worrying about social issues like marriage and go hard after big spending and make cuts to all places in govt. I know some are trying, but we need more!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
50.5% of Mississippians consider themselves Conservative, majority of states are Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
In 32 states, Conservatives outnumber Moderates.

Mississippi Rates as the Most Conservative U.S. State
What kind of Conservative? Paloconservative, Neoconservative, Fiscal Conservative, Social Conservative, Traditional Conservative?

You will have to pardon me that I laugh when people try to define themselves into "this" box, or "this" box, although at least this poll had another "this" box for "moderates", as though that actually means anything.

You have 542 choices of tennis shoe manufacture, 22 brands of TV sets, 43 different health care providers, 4829 different types of car, and more choices on the McDonalds value menu, but American insist on taking the most nuanced and diverse spectrum of opinion and views and condense it down to either Conservative or Liberal, this or that, 0 or 1, black or white, good and evil.

Absolutism is what happens when people slap labels on a box they reside in because they are too lazy to think for themselves.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
.....or as my dad called it, the "Murder State." Uh...is this supposed to be news? Hell, who didn't know this? Conservative actually doesn't even begin to describe Mississippi politically. And it's actually tamer than it was when my dad was growing up there during Jim Crow when it was run by paleo-conservatives.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
In 32 states, Conservatives outnumber Moderates.

Mississippi Rates as the Most Conservative U.S. State
CLUE: Conservative does not equate to Republican and in reality has little to do with political Parties.
Casper

Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Mississippi has the highest percentage? Have you ever been to Mississippi?There are plenty of reasons not to go there, but now...one more.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Conservatives can't get beyond themselves and think everyone else is conservative. Pretty pathetic. Reality and the changing demographics of this country are simply too hard to confront I suppose.

It is not news that Mississippi is conservative. In fact, no surprise that the entire region is. Thank God for the more enlightened people in the cities.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Conservatives can't get beyond themselves and think everyone else is conservative. Pretty pathetic. Reality and the changing demographics of this country are simply too hard to confront I suppose.

It is not news that Mississippi is conservative. In fact, no surprise that the entire region is. Thank God for the more enlightened people in the cities.
Yeah, we dumb ole hillbillies out in the country are still struggling to put forth a basic sentence in the English language beyond, "Dad get off me, you're crushing my cigs and I can't see barnyard's gone wild". Now if you excuse me, I have to step out on the porch to get to my fridge and crack open a cold Budweiser I can enjoy with my hounds on the outdoor couch.

(snaps suspenders) yup I reckon we just aren't as bright at dem dar city folks who would never use gross stereotypes with all their sophistication.

[\sarcasm]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies