Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,988,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Tickets should not be the big worry, stealing your TVs and money should.

EXCLUSIVE: State police caught on tape during drug raid
The government has a right to steal. Besides its the law that says. The government can take all possession away from drug dealers and affiliates. But suppose they are to confiscate it then auction it off to the highest bidder.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
OK, show off your astounding critical reasoning for us here, then.

Explain how raising property taxes and lowering/eliminating traffic fines makes good sense, please.
Ok, pretty boy.

The city government gets its money from two major sources. Sales tax and property tax. If the government is running into financial trouble it has to do with its size and spending problems. So writing tickets is nothing more than a financial grab by the police. As they get to keep most of the money from tickets written. Take a note they don't write as many tickets that will give money to the county or state government. Because they don't care about that. They care about filling in the budget gap.

Hopefully one day you will have critical reasoning skills one day. But first you have to learn how to think on your own. Till then kudos to you.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,755,128 times
Although I agree that writing tickets is a revenue generator FIRST and a safety tissue SECOND in MOST areas... I do disagree with the OP that tickets should be "only" given to people that somehow "merit" it... we are not a country that should "pick and choose" who to punish based on how someone feels about it... of course, that is the liberal motto, so I guess liberals would disagree with me on that... they probably say the police should give tickets to those they deem able to pay (ie have any money leftover after a paycheck deposit)...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Although I agree that writing tickets is a revenue generator FIRST and a safety tissue SECOND in MOST areas... I do disagree with the OP that tickets should be "only" given to people that somehow "merit" it... we are not a country that should "pick and choose" who to punish based on how someone feels about it... of course, that is the liberal motto, so I guess liberals would disagree with me on that... they probably say the police should give tickets to those they deem able to pay (ie have any money leftover after a paycheck deposit)...
Great you are changing the subject and attacking a political wing. I would like to tell you that most police officers choose who they are going to write tickets within 5secs of seeing the person. So yeah, cops do pick and choose who to punish based on how they feel about the person.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM

9,129 posts, read 5,761,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen7276 View Post
Don't listen to these idiots Lionking. They're either cops or just trying to **** you off. They sound like complete losers to me.

Losers?
Who is the one with the $500 ticket?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 PM

148 posts, read 570,348 times
I didn't get a ticket. I'm mad that other people get tickets.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

35,957 posts, read 30,494,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Ok, pretty boy.

The city government gets its money from two major sources. Sales tax and property tax. If the government is running into financial trouble it has to do with its size and spending problems. So writing tickets is nothing more than a financial grab by the police. As they get to keep most of the money from tickets written. Take a note they don't write as many tickets that will give money to the county or state government. Because they don't care about that. They care about filling in the budget gap.

Hopefully one day you will have critical reasoning skills one day. But first you have to learn how to think on your own. Till then kudos to you.
Reason this. It is not the police officer that decides what is a traffic violation, it is not the police officer that sets the amount of the fine for traffic violations. The police officer does not personally get to keep any of the revenue from traffic violations. The money goes to fund the police department. Do you realize that in some municpalities officers have to pay for their own equipment like guns and vests.

How much do think property taxes can be raised without outrage from property owners. Most of the property taxes go to schools and roads and very little to fund the actual police dept. Id dare say 99.9% of property owners would be against a propery tax increase in leiu of ticket revenue from traffic violations. Why should only property owners pay for police services that benefit the entire community while at the same time being subjected to lawful disregard for traffic laws.

Do you believe if there were no penalties the majority of drivers would abide by speed limits, school zones, traffic lights, stop signs, parking regulations, etc.
If you have a problem with the amount of fines you should take it up with those that set the amounts and not blame it on those hired to enforce the laws.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Reason this. It is not the police officer that decides what is a traffic violation, it is not the police officer that sets the amount of the fine for traffic violations. The police officer does not personally get to keep any of the revenue from traffic violations. The money goes to fund the police department. Do you realize that in some municpalities officers have to pay for their own equipment like guns and vests.

How much do think property taxes can be raised without outrage from property owners. Most of the property taxes go to schools and roads and very little to fund the actual police dept. Id dare say 99.9% of property owners would be against a propery tax increase in leiu of ticket revenue from traffic violations. Why should only property owners pay for police services that benefit the entire community while at the same time being subjected to lawful disregard for traffic laws.

Do you believe if there were no penalties the majority of drivers would abide by speed limits, school zones, traffic lights, stop signs, parking regulations, etc.
If you have a problem with the amount of fines you should take it up with those that set the amounts and not blame it on those hired to enforce the laws.
Maybe you don't understand. But property taxes DO fund the majority of the cities activities and that includes library, police, fire, etc. So if a city is in financial trouble. The only thing it can do is cut its spending or raise taxes on property. Or it can get the police to start pulling more people over and fining them. That works as well. Like I have said police officers DO choose who to punish and who not to punish.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,578,248 times
Quote:
The government has a right to steal. Besides its the law that says. The government can take all possession away from drug dealers and affiliates. But suppose they are to confiscate it then auction it off to the highest bidder.
They are only allowed to confiscate property aquired by the drug sales.

We live in a quasi police state, the rich people are still protected.

RICO should be unconstitutional.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,251,050 times
Quote:
Ok, pretty boy.

Or you could simply not break laws and leave my property taxes alone. That makes much more sense. See, shifting the burden AWAY from law breakers and focusing it on law abiding homeowners makes no logical sense.

You need to polish up your critical thinking skills, laddie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies