U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,648,451 times
Reputation: 1099

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically with driving comes the requirement to obey the laws . Poeple want the laws enfocred by and large because of the numbers that are killed on the highway. Laws are enacted to control such behavour and most accidents can be traced to a violation .
The reason there are so many deaths on the highway is due to the amount of people with drivers license who shouldn't have them. Speed does not kill but reckless driving does. And reckless driving can be driving slow while everyone around you is going fast or going slow in the left lane. So that fast driver will have to push his brakes when he catches up to you. And then we have TOO many people playing politics on the road. Do what I say don't tell me what to say I have been driving for 20 yrs yada yada bs that should not be.

 
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,662,539 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Ok so when they break the stupid law, they are not criminal? How hypocritical and stupid it is. That one can do it because they wear a badge, but others can't because they are plebeians. I thought we had already moved forward in thinking. I guess not. In Europe they don't have these sort of problems.
Of course they're liable when they break the law. Out of curiosity though, which laws do you have in mind?

In regards to speeding - Police here are not required to have have lights and sirens on when they are responding to a call, so it's impossible to know whether they're actually breaking the law or whether they're responding to a call.

And do you really think they don't have these problems in Europe? The UK is famous for its photo radar ticketing (and its exploding photo radar boxes - go figure), which is the most obvious of cash grab ticketing. Russian police are considered on par with many third world police forces in regards to corruption.

Quote:
Yeah because they don't get enough from property taxes.
Are you suggesting it would be more fair to have law abiding home owners pay more so that you can avoid getting tickets? That's pretty counter productive. If the point is to ease my financial burden (as was part of issue in the OP), how would raising taxes alleviate that?
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,648,451 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Of course they're liable when they break the law. Out of curiosity though, which laws do you have in mind?

In regards to speeding - Police here are not required to have have lights and sirens on when they are responding to a call, so it's impossible to know whether they're actually breaking the law or whether they're responding to a call.

And do you really think they don't have these problems in Europe? The UK is famous for its photo radar ticketing (and its exploding photo radar boxes - go figure), which is the most obvious of cash grab ticketing. Russian police are considered on par with many third world police forces in regards to corruption.
Those problems are somewhat different though. In Europe people speed and you don't see the amount of police on the streets as here. Basically people here are more reckless when it comes to driving. Because they have handed over power to the "law" that knows better. And it doesn't.
Quote:
Are you suggesting it would be more fair to have law abiding home owners pay more so that you can avoid getting tickets? That's pretty counter productive. If the point is to ease my financial burden (as was part of issue in the OP), how would raising taxes alleviate that?
The city government uses your property taxes to supplement its expenses. And that includes police officers salaries and benefits, etc. If the city is pulling over and giving many people tickets. It has to do with the government not concerned for your safety like they should be. But wanting to have more money to spend on the mayor's pets projects.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,535,296 times
Reputation: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
As human beings and citizens of this nation. You would have figured out that COPS would be more interested in fighting criminals rather than upholding stupid laws that NOT EVEN THEM follow.

Its not their job to fight anybody. Just enforce the law. If you dont like it change the law. Theres many laws I dont like & many practices of LEO I dont like. Enforcing traffic laws are something I feel is a primary component of their job. We've come to view them as para military crime fighters. Theyre not, theyre just cops and the fact is they do us more good directly by keeping people from driving like idiots than they do with most of their other duties.
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,662,539 times
Reputation: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Those problems are somewhat different though. In Europe people speed and you don't see the amount of police on the streets as here. Basically people here are more reckless when it comes to driving. Because they have handed over power to the "law" that knows better. And it doesn't.

Police per capita:
Police (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_pol_percap-crime-police-per-capita - broken link)

USA ranks either 22 or 23, behind Italy, Portugal, Latvia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Lithuania, Slovenia...and about 10 more European countries. Unless you're claiming that Europe is choked with desk officers, you're wrong.

As for your argument about reckless driving, it doesn't make sense. If we're driving more recklessly, more tickets should be expected, regardless of who issues them. Not to mention blaming someone else for your driving habits is ridiculous. Regardless of who has power, I'm in control of my vehicle.



Quote:
The city government uses your property taxes to supplement its expenses. And that includes police officers salaries and benefits, etc. If the city is pulling over and giving many people tickets. It has to do with the government not concerned for your safety like they should be. But wanting to have more money to spend on the mayor's pets projects.
16 US cities are on the brink of bankruptcy and dozens are running deficits right now. 44 states are running deficits.

So, given that they're essentially broke, how are they paying for these 'pet projects'?

If you're suggesting that costs need to be cut, and services stipped to sustainable levels, then we agree. However, claiming that revenues from tickets are used for pet projects when most govt's are well into the red doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless you're making the claim that most gov'ts are grossly imcompetent (and I won't touch that argument).
 
Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 83,352,694 times
Reputation: 17541
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I drove my duel-wheel pickup truck on a NY parkway. When pulled over, I was told that no commercial vehicles were allowed. Mine is a private truck to pull my camper. The cop said NY considers all duel-wheel vehicles commercial and wrote me a $310 ticket.
Ignorantia Juris Non Excusat
 
Old 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: The Woods
17,021 posts, read 22,397,534 times
Reputation: 9183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ignorantia Juris Non Excusat
Except for the police, and then ignorance is an excuse when they violate people's rights (in practice). It's disgusting.

We've got constables and police here who'll ticket everyone going even 1 mph over the limit when coming down hills, etc. One constable was thrown out by thw town after it ruined their economy, but there's others still around...
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 AM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,648,451 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

If you're suggesting that costs need to be cut, and services stipped to sustainable levels, then we agree. However, claiming that revenues from tickets are used for pet projects when most govt's are well into the red doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless you're making the claim that most gov'ts are grossly imcompetent (and I won't touch that argument).
Most gov'ts are grossly incompetent!!

You are expecting for people to do the right thing. Most won't. Because no one is watching them. Or if they are, they normally are "special" interests groups aka We helped pay for your campaign so don't bite the hand that feeds you!

And most those "special" interests groups don't have the interests of liberty. They want some law or keep a law that enforces their primitive minds. That perhaps if they have a "law" it won't happen. Like hell it won't.

While I am in control of my vehicle I choose what speed is safe for me to drive. Considering what condition the road is and how many drivers are there and the time. I don't need some idiot telling me what is safe or what not. I know what is. I have yet to get into any accident and have yet been reckless enough to cause one.

I don't text and drive or drink and drive. But I am not saying texting is a bad thing. Texting can be dad if the person behind it is totally caught up and is not paying attention to the road. If they are the type that is easily distracted then they should not be texting while driving.

Well there are way too many examples of reckless drivers. But really the police are not here to help you. Even they admit it.
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
 
Location: right here
4,131 posts, read 4,807,875 times
Reputation: 4873
Yeah you will think differently when someone is breaking into your house and you need one!
 
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 AM
 
1,543 posts, read 2,648,451 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Yeah you will think differently when someone is breaking into your house and you need one!
Of course! That is the argument "sheeple" make-I don't really mean to call you that. I am just lost at using a word to describe you-. The reason the police are called is due to several:

1) They are expected to FIGHT CRIMINALS.
2) If the homeowner kills the CRIMINAL if he or she does not call the police. He or She faces prosecution by the LAW. So its not that they are 100% needed. They are needed because if you don't report the crime; any action you take will be seen by the LAW as a crime. Even though you have the inalienable right to defend yourself and your property. Don't let the government hear that.

So hopefully you have a new understanding as to why the police are called. Its not because of being 100% defenseless but because if you do kill the criminals are injure them. The police need to know the reason and if they don't know. They will be treating you as a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top