U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

169 posts, read 302,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I got an $170 ticket for stopping at a stop sign before I turned..
The cop told me I ran a stop sign then I told no I didnt! I only seen you hiding so why would I run a stop sign in front of a cop? then he changed his story and said well then you didnt come to a complete stop, so I told him Gee if your going to lie might as well make it good. and whops there was my ticket
If you didn't come to a complete stop, you ran the stop sign. Ticket deserved.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,341,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Local governments, especially in rural areas with a sparse tax base, are struggling with finances right now.

Some of them make a considerable amount of money ticketing speeders passing through their territory.

So don't speed enough to get noticed. Simple. I'm always going just a little slower than the people who get nailed.
We drove from where we live in Arizona up to Utah. Mostly the speed limit is 65mph (not interstate). Then you hit the little towns and the speed drops to 35mph, sometimes to 25mph .... and you just know that there is a cop sitting 50 yards beyond the speed limit sign .... just waiting

It is a shame that law enforcement is being morphed into alternative tax collection.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

169 posts, read 302,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
2 - Vote out the politicians who annoy you.
I'm guessing the complainers here are the ones too lazy to learn and follow traffic laws. I'm guessing they're too lazy to get out and vote as well. Just guessing though...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM

11,407 posts, read 18,611,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
I'm guessing the complainers here are the ones too lazy to learn and follow traffic laws. I'm guessing they're too lazy to get out and vote as well. Just guessing though...

Alot of assuming on your part.

How about the cop that runs a red light by turning on his emergency lights to run the red light then turns them off as soon as he gets past the light? Bet you all have seen that a few times.

I got nailed with a $160 ticket last Sept for no turn signal. I Was in the median, turning. The thing is I did put my blinker on, but it turned off, like when you move the steering wheel. So cop gets behind me and nails me for it anyway.

Where I live they have a section on the highway where everyday there is a unmarked Dodge Charger that pulls over people left and right. It is about making money, and who decides to make tickets so gawd damn expensive? Mother ****ers...........

Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM

873 posts, read 1,546,717 times
I'd be curious to know of one house break-in where a cop was actually present, unless the cop was the one doing the break-in. Cops show up after the fact and take a report. Cops are the biggest "gang" in the U.S. and the one that gets away with crime most often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Yeah you will think differently when someone is breaking into your house and you need one!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM

2,429 posts, read 1,782,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Alot of assuming on your part.

How about the cop that runs a red light by turning on his emergency lights to run the red light then turns them off as soon as he gets past the light? Bet you all have seen that a few times.
In a number of places, emergency vehicles are exempt from traffic laws, and to boot, there are tons calls where you may not want to show up lights and sirens. To the untrained eye, it looks like "that stupid cop is driving like a maniac for no reason at all!" in truth, there are times when that is exactly what's necessary. I'm not saying that was the case with what you saw, but many times, it is the case.

Quote:
Where I live they have a section on the highway where everyday there is a unmarked Dodge Charger that pulls over people left and right. It is about making money, and who decides to make tickets so gawd damn expensive? Mother ****ers...........
The courts set the fines, not the police, go complain to them.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 AM

8,341 posts, read 9,806,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We drove from where we live in Arizona up to Utah. Mostly the speed limit is 65mph (not interstate). Then you hit the little towns and the speed drops to 35mph, sometimes to 25mph .... and you just know that there is a cop sitting 50 yards beyond the speed limit sign .... just waiting

It is a shame that law enforcement is being morphed into alternative tax collection.
There's a small town in southern UT that puts an old police Bronco on their tiny main st. Inside is a dummy dressed like a cop. Year after year, it's on that street. They move it sometimes though, I guess to brush the dust off. I have to laugh every time I go through there.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
If you didn't come to a complete stop, you ran the stop sign. Ticket deserved.
I don't think she realizes the actual stopping part, of reaching a stop sign.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
There's a small town in southern UT that puts an old police Bronco on their tiny main st. Inside is a dummy dressed like a cop. Year after year, it's on that street. They move it sometimes though, I guess to brush the dust off. I have to laugh every time I go through there.
I remember reading about a town that does that, they'd leave that mannequin in the car there for months on end, then for about a week straight, they'd put a live Officer there and catch everyone off guard.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,545,214 times
As if raising the speed limit would help. If they raised it to 70, people would do 85. If they raised it to 80 people would do 90.

The phrase "9 your fine, 10 your mine" is commonly used. If you are 9 miles over the limit or less, cops generally don't bother. 10 or more then you are playing with fire. Would it bother you if they did raise every speed limit by 10mph BUT made more efforts to enforce people going 1mph over the limit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies