Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
This scenario is precisely why it is so dangerous for corporations to be considered "people", and be allowed to literally buy Governors and other "elected" officials.
This is also precisely what unions do, buy governors and elected officials.

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Hmmm... let's take a look at what the public sector unions gave his Dem opponent: $90,540
...with the Education Industry giving another $179,968
...and civil servants and public officials giving another $231,610

Now what about the trade unions? How much did they give Walker's Dem opponent? $312,959

The unions seem to be trying to buy themselves better wages and benefits, using taxpayers' money.

The facts:
BARRETT, TOM | Follow The Money
I respect your concern about these kinds of political expenditures. I think all organizations of any type should be barred from spending one thin dime on political advertising or political contributions, and that includes the unions. (Bet you didn't think I'd say that, did you?)

However. . .

Can the public sector unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can trade unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can the "Education Industry" buy power plants to profit off of? No.

Sure, maybe they can "buy influence" for better benefits or salaries or stricter safety controls in the workplace, which certainly does cost the taxpayer money. But the benefit is ultimately to working people, not major corporations run by billionaires.

Can you not at least acknowledge the difference?

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
So Koch Industries is the #1 bad guy this week.
Got to love how the herd moves from public enemy #1 week to week.

Pray tell..who is the #1 enemy in the other states considering removing collective bargaining rights for public sector workers ?

Things get ugly when the money is just not there.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yup. when are you planning to go back to school?

Answers.com - What does 'bears repeating' mean

Liberals have their own way of doing things.

So what is wrong with 2 highly successful men creating jobs for those who want to work?

The brothers have created more jobs the the idiot in the WH!!!

And they were not handed 800 billion dollars to do so either like the idiot was.

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Hmmm... let's take a look at what the public sector unions gave his Dem opponent: $90,540
...with the Education Industry giving another $179,968
...and civil servants and public officials giving another $231,610

Now what about the trade unions? How much did they give Walker's Dem opponent? $312,959

The unions seem to be trying to buy themselves better wages and benefits, using taxpayers' money.

The facts:
Now we see the opposite side of that coin that Jill doesn't want us to see. Thanks for the information.

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

This is also precisely what unions do, buy governors and elected officials.
To what end? See my post above.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yup. when are you planning to go back to school?

Answers.com - What does 'bears repeating' mean
Who was had more special interest groups in their back pocket? I report, you decide.

WALKER, SCOTT | Follow The Money

Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I respect your concern about these kinds of political expenditures. I think all organizations of any type should be barred from spending one thin dime on political advertising or political contributions, and that includes the unions. (Bet you didn't think I'd say that, did you?)

However. . .

Can the public sector unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can trade unions buy power plants to profit off of? No.
Can the "Education Industry" buy power plants to profit off of? No.

Sure, maybe they can "buy influence" for better benefits or salaries or stricter safety controls in the workplace, which certainly does cost the taxpayer money. But the benefit is ultimately to working people, not major corporations run by billionaires.

Can you not at least acknowledge the difference?

Who do you suppose those evil corporations employ? Could it possibly be working people? Would providing jobs be a benefit?

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Boy do we need to make education a priority!
I'll bet you think that the word, bears, here should be spelled bares. Maybe your spell checker can decipher meanings as well as spellings but I doubt that. I think that you worry too much about spelling. I will watch you from now on and make sure that any little mistake from you is called to your attention.

BTW, you are welcome to do the same for me since I write from the right side of things.

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Hurt the working and middle class, to give handouts to wealthy CEO's. What a shock......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies