Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,318,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What other scholarship is there? I didn't do sports.

Stop with the insults or you will all be reported. And stick to the subject, b/c OT nonsense is now being reported.
Privately funded scholarships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM

11,254 posts, read 18,767,250 times
This is a very LOADED question. I don't approve of certain things unions do (like firing strictly on the basis of seniority) but I do think they serve a purpose, so I was forced to answer "I approve of both public and private sector unions" even though I kind of fall "in the middle" on the Scott Walker debate (mostly agree on paying more for insurance and pensions/401k, do think banning all collective bargaining is union busting though.....I know it technically would be allowed for pay raises within inflation, but it's too restrictive in my view).

Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,010,922 times
im for em

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,304,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What nonsense. Those who do not belong to unions do not usually negotiate with their employers. I have worked w/o a union for almost 40 years. You take what you get, period. There's usually no negotiation going on whatsoever. Even at places I have worked that had some sort of HR dept with acutal policies, there is a pay scale, and the raises, if any, are determined by the supervisor. The employee has no input; it's all been decided before the performance review. And it's subjective as H***.
Wow, I really pity you. You need to stop thinking of yourself as some helpless employee subject to the whims of your employer and start being your own personal advocate.

I have NEVER not negotiated with an employer regarding pay, benefits, hours, etc. True, some things are non-negotiable, but many things are. You need to think outside the box. I've negotiated pay, job titles (getting a managerial title allows you to bump up your salary range ), hours/days, benefits, salary increases (beyond the annual "raise"). I once negotiated to be eligible for full time benefits even though I was only a .6 FTE. I've negotiated parking concessions, which if you work in an area with limited accessible parking options is a HUGE deal. I've negotiated annual $$ kickbacks in lieu of not taking the company provided medical coverage. I've negotiated my hours/schedule so that I can take a shorter lunch break and leave earlier. I've also negotiated a huge salary increase equivalent to $12K/year just by providing my employer with competitive market salary data. Honestly, employers expect to negotiate with their employees and will give concessions in certain areas if you prove your worth to your employer. If you don't ask, you'll never receive.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
No, I haven't. Where did you get that number of 88% of all employees ...DO IN FACT negotiate and bargain? Have you completely detached yourself from the reality of 2011 and the large numbers of unemployed?

Just because the majority of the country does not belong to a union does NOT mean that people applying for jobs out there have any real power to negotiate ANYTHING or that they DO "negotiate & bargain."....so I'd like to seem some information to support your claim that in fact 88% of employees DO NEGOTIATE AND BARGAIN regarding benefits, salary, and workplace protections..
Considering only 12% of the population is in a union... the rest are negotiating on their own, or should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Companies advertise an open position. They may, as a good friend of mine has told me, get as many at 200 applicants for that job....and I'm talking about positions requiring college degrees and post graduate degrees, analysts type jobs.....and I can assure you that those people don't negotiate on benefits and rarely on salary. Most are just fighting to get the jobs at the advertised salary and benefits. Once you are hired, you are also not going to have any power to negotiate on benefits because the company or government employer is in a position of power, not the small individual employee.
I can't speak to all professions, but that has never been my experience in my field. There are many things that can be negotiated outside of the set salary range and standard benefit package. Think outside the box.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,318,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Wow, I really pity you. You need to stop thinking of yourself as some helpless employee subject to the whims of your employer and start being your own personal advocate.

I have NEVER not negotiated with an employer regarding pay, benefits, hours, etc.
...and legal protections?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I work for a large multi-national. I have negoitiated pay and benefits. And I'm pretty low on the food chain.

I negoitiated pay and health insurance at a smaller company also. Known people that have done the same.

Both factories. Both non-union.

It's really quite simple. You have to show the employer how you have increased profits. Or made the company more responsive and flexible.

People that just do their job just get their paycheck. Nothing wrong with that, but it is insane to say negoitiation can't be done. "Rules in place" are nothing more than guidleines.
Enough with the sanctimony.

Quote:

I have NEVER not negotiated with an employer regarding pay, benefits, hours, etc. True, some things are non-negotiable, but many things are. You need to think outside the box. I've negotiated pay, job titles (getting a managerial title allows you to bump up your salary range ), hours/days, benefits, salary increases (beyond the annual "raise"). I once negotiated to be eligible for full time benefits even though I was only a .6 FTE. I've negotiated parking concessions, which if you work in an area with limited accessible parking options is a HUGE deal. I've negotiated annual $$ kickbacks in lieu of not taking the company provided medical coverage. I've negotiated my hours/schedule so that I can take a shorter lunch break and leave earlier. I've also negotiated a huge salary increase equivalent to $12K/year just by providing my employer with competitive market salary data. Honestly, employers expect to negotiate with their employees and will give concessions in certain areas if you prove your worth to your employer. If you don't ask, you'll never receive.
Well, according to most of you, I'm obviously worthless.

Y'know, my brother worked in HR for a long time. He used to get people complaining about their job titles. Big whoop, you negotiate a loftier job title. What did that get you? A fancier business card?

You obviously have no idea what it's like to be a nurse in a doctor's office, where you can't leave earlier, b/c there are still patients that need attending to, similar to a teacher, who has to stay till the kids go home.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...and legal protections?
Legal protections for what? I'm covered by my employer for malpractice. Do you mean legal protection in case I am fired based on race, gender or age? Lol, I'll take my chances on that and keep my money out of union bosses' hands. It's not like you can't take your employer to court if they violate the law. Not to mention, if you are a valued employee, they aren't gonna fire you to begin with.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,089,549 times
Quote:
Considering only 12% of the population is in a union... the rest are negotiating on their own, or should be.

I can't speak to all professions, but that has never been my experience in my field. There are many things that can be negotiated outside of the set salary range and standard benefit package. Think outside the box.
So you cannot back up your claim that 88% of Americans DO IN FACT negotiate in re salary and benefits.......you are only assuming that because someone is not in a union, they MUST BE negotiating. And I'd say you're dead wrong on that assumption.

I know a lot of very successful career professionals in a wide variety of professions.....and your story just sounds implausible to me. I guess it depends on what you're using to negotiate. How do your co-workers feel about you're having different "benefits" when you're doing the same work? I just can't imagine a large company or government doing what you claim your employers have done.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,089,549 times
Quote:
Legal protections for what? I'm covered by my employer for malpractice. Do you mean legal protection in case I am fired based on race, gender or age? Lol, I'll take my chances on that and keep my money out of union bosses' hands. It's not like you can't take your employer to court if they violate the law. Not to mention, if you are a valued employee, they aren't gonna fire you to begin with.
If, if, if, if................ Yes, you can hire a lawyer and take your employer to court.........and then hope and pray you aren't blackballed as a whistle blower, even after you're paid that attorney all that money.

Are you so naive that you honestly believe that "management" out there in the real world does not contain people who are bigots, who are unfair, who discriminate on the basis of gender and age, appearance, etc., etc? You guys try to make employers/management sound like people who have died, gone to heaven, and returned to earth as perfect capitalist angels, and would never, ever do anything unethical, or unfair, of show favoritism, or show bias, or have their favorite little group of employees, on and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies