Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I approve of all Unions private & public! What are we turning into China? Are the employers to have the last say? If that's the case go move your business overseas where there is no governance of how workers are treated or paid. If Unions are greedy then Employers are greedier!
As for public Unions the government entities negotiated these contracts and they should be bound by them.
Why would employers NOT have the last say? The employee does not assume the risks of business, so obviously their course of employment would and should be dictated to some degree by the employer that does assume the risk.
My biggest issue with unions is the sense of collective entitlement. Put some scratch in the game, and you can have your own say in running the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times
Unions are fine in the private sector, not in the public sector. But even in the private sector they should not have the right to compel people to join or pay dues.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
America is a Union....nuff said....../thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You "the sky is falling" type lunatics crack me up.
Don't forget your tinfoil hats.

Ken

You have a "right" not to pay taxes too.

But do you?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Anyone who is anti-Union has never had a Union job. From my experience, working for a union company is a much more harmonious environment than non-union, where management has all the power.

And "Right to Work State" is one of those things that sounds good but is really a load of garbage.
I come from a right to work state and have never had one single problem that I could not deal with on my own. 88% of America is not unionized, and union membership is declining. What have you to say about that?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Do you guys really expect anyone to believe this stuff? Really?

That's it...i'm done. When folks are saying stuff like what's in this post, then you know there is a serious divorce from reality by some people. Negotiate pay and bennies and you're admittedly low on the food chain? SMH....whatever.
Low on the food chain in an enormous company. Maybe he is where he wants to be. You don't know. If you honestly believe people cannot negotiate their own pay and bennies at any run on the ladder, then maybe you DO need a union who can negotiate for you, since you're too much of an idiot to do it yourself. (Collective you, not YOU.)

Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Agreed. "You have to show the employer you've increased profits?" Um... when I do a good job at work, I don't get a pat on the back. I get, "you could have done this, this, and this better." If you show you are a good worker, you're expected to work even harder.

There is no quid pro quo in the non-union workplace. Also I don't really get why someone is content that their employer may deign on them that they deserve a raise, instead of wanting to put together a union and FORCE the employer to act.

I don't like being like Oliver Twist asking for more. In a non-union workplace, that is exactly what you are.
That is simply not true. If you truly do a good job, you should get a raise or whatever. If you don't get one, maybe you need to reevaluate how great of a job you're doing or you need to find another job that will pay you what you're worth. If you think you did a good job at work but your supervisor is telling you things to improve upon, obviously you are not doing the good job you thought you were doing. It's not that hard to understand.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Absolutely, I approve. Unions were responsible for so many laws that helped to grow the middle class in this country. I can't understand why so many people are so ignorant about this. I guess if you want to destroy the middle class, and increase the divide between rich and poor even more, then yeah, you should be against unions.

If unions are abolished, then the minimum wage should be raised substantially. The federal minimum wage should be at least $10/hour.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sure when times are bad, they should be willing to give up various benefits and accept pay cuts. but to give up future bargaining rights robs them of the opportunity to share in the fruits of financial success sometime in the future.
No, they will just have to take on that responsibility themselves, prove their worth to the employer and ASK for what they want.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely, I approve. Unions were responsible for so many laws that helped to grow the middle class in this country. I can't understand why so many people are so ignorant about this. I guess if you want to destroy the middle class, and increase the divide between rich and poor even more, then yeah, you should be against unions.

If unions are abolished, then the minimum wage should be raised substantially. The federal minimum wage should be at least $10/hour.
Nobody is arguing this, that is what YOU are ignorant about.

Tell me, what purpose do they serve today? NOT ONE person has been able to answer that question for me. Not a one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies