Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I do it for the discounts
I don't get any discounts from the AARP and their CEO convinced me when the debate about Obamacare was hot and heavy that I surely didn't want in with him any longer.

I don't travel a lot so none of those discounts would help me. I tried several times to get all those huge insurance discounts for autos and always found that the discount would be very minimal, if at all, and I liked the company I had been with so there just isn't anything there for me other than their publications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh bull.
The standard of living of Americans has been on a downward trend for just about the same amount of time as the unions have been weakeningl. THAT is no coincidence.

Ken
Are there more union members at the present, what is it, 12% than there were back in days with the same amount at the turn of the 20th century. Of course, there are many more now since the 12% applies to over 300 million people.

There is a great video on the forum at this time about numbers and how little most of us know about how to use them. More of us need to see it.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Unions have done great things for the American worker. They have perhaps been the prime reason we have a middle class, albeit a shrinking one. But unions can be negative too. Their demands can be too high, which works to raise prices and even drive businesses overseas.

The best analogy I can come up with is the ordinary aspirin. Take one or two and you can feel better. Small doses can even good for you heart. Take too many and they can do internal damage.
This wins the thread.

Any union that puts the short term gain of its members ahead of the long term gain is a poorly run union.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who support public sector unions how do you feel about them being in position to elect their own bosses?
Too many here don't really understand what you just said. Nice try, though.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Private sector unions are bad enough, public sector unions should be outlawed.
Public employees don't deserve Constitutional rights? You can say you disagree with the, but to say they should be illegal is a violation of the Constitution. I don't approve of the tea party, but they have every legal right to get together and do that thing they do.

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 02-26-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I approve of all unions. If workers want to organize do they not have the right under the 1st Amendment (right to assemble)?
As long as I'm not forced to be apart of your organization and still have the same opportunities and rights.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I do not approive of teh control that unions have gotten i teh public or priavte sector that has detroyed budgets and comanies like the auto unions. I do not think any perosn should have to join a unio to work at any job.I also beleieve that workers have a right to a secret ballot to vote to unionize or not o such votes but even then the perosn shoudhave to join if eh/she prefers not to.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:26 PM

I voted against all kinds of unions and will let my friend, Bill Balsamico, do my talking to tell you why. He talks with lots of history about what unions did in the Pittsburgh area that hurt the working people of the area so much. He is not against unions like I am but he does tell it just like I have always thought of them.

Read his Febrary 24 entry. You can see it by the title.

Bill Balsamico | The rantings of someone that truly loves his country.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are there more union members at the present, what is it, 12% than there were back in days with the same amount at the turn of the 20th century. Of course, there are many more now since the 12% applies to over 300 million people.

There is a great video on the forum at this time about numbers and how little most of us know about how to use them. More of us need to see it.
I wasn't referring to the "turn of the 20th century".

In 1983 (US pop - 234 million) some 20% of US workers were unionized, in 2010 (US pop - 308 million) that number is down to a bit over 12%. Even with the increase in population that's a net loss in the number of unionized workers. Maybe YOU should check out that "numbers" video again.

Ken

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-27-2011 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Public employees don't deserve Constitutional rights. You can say you disagree with the, but to say they should be illegal is a violation of the Constitution. I don't approve of the tea party, but they have every legal right to get together and do that thing they do.
Public employee unions create no wealth and therefor shouldn't be organized.

However, I agree with what you said in this post and that doesn't often happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies