Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I am rather confused as to why one would buy a 16 year old a $35k sports car. You must be loaded.

And I CAN NOT believe this joke has not been made yet... Gay Car:
I am with you on that one. I suspect people that buy their 16yr old a car like that, do it for reasons other than their kid's need. I think it may demonstrate something in the parents, and the kid is just ancillary to what is being demonstrated. But, I am glad it is an American car. A 16yr old would be better served learning responsibility and how to earn things, in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:46 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Chevrolet came out with the new re-designed Camaro two years ago. I think that it is a very sharp looking car, along with the new Mustangs and the Dodge Challenger.

One of the male nurses at our surgery center the other day told me he was selling his 2010 Camaro, as he heard that GM is target marketing Camaros to gays. This guy is a former truck driver as well as a Marine, and does not want to be identified with driving a gay car. It is a great car with a V-8 and a six speed and seems to me to really harken to the old Camaros, which were coveted by rednecks, such as myself.

That being said, I like them, and would not give a damn what anyone else thought of my car. My 16 year old son needs a car this summer, as his brother is going to college, leaving him without a ride to school. I asked him if he would like one of the new Camaros and he said definately not, as it is a "gay" car.

Two things-

1. Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

2. If #1 is true, why hell would GM target market a minority group and alienate their main consumer demographic?

Who cares? These two guys sound like they are insecure about their sexuality. This is the first I heard about the Camaro. If you like your Camaro, keep it.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
What the hell does it matter, if your secure enough within your own self. You care what other people think about the car you drive, that is gay and stupid and ignorant. Shows you cannot make a decision without caring what others think. Who cares, drive what you want, if you secure being your own person, it does not matter that is the problem today, everyone cares about what others are thinking, if you like something go for it and to hek with everyone else. I have seen more then enough hot camaros in my time, and let me tell you gay guys with not the ones driving them.
On my!

I was not getting the car for myself. I do not care what anyone (except my family) thinks of me. I personally really like the old and the new Camaro.

Here are the cars I drove before actually getting a real paycheck that did not have to go toward my education-

'65 Corvair 4 door
'69 Charger - bondo baby
'76 Olds Omega painted with a brush and roller

I was getting the car for my youngest kid, as needs a car next year to get to school. High school kids, even in a parochial school, can be a little on the mean side. No need to invite trouble into the life of an otherwise well adjusted kid. Teenage years can be a little rough and there is no reason to make those years more difficult with something as silly as a car. We will go with a Challenger.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I drive a Subaru. I detest their national advertisements as they appear to be aimed at hippie types (dorky hiker couple that lose their car in the desert, just-married coming-from-ceremony loosey-goosey "different" (not gay) couple that pitch a collapsing tent in the pouring rain, guy who retraces his car trip stops to find his sunglasses that he eventually finds in the hood of his hoodie, all accompanied by hippie type music).

But, my Subaru car dealer, where I take my cars to be serviced, is owned by an old Southern gentleman, friendly and charming as all get out when you are just there for an oil change and tire rotation, the entire service department is friendly, helpful and down-home as they come and I like my car (never opened the "moon roof"). So, I just grimace when the national Subaru ads come on.

Oh yeah, there used to be a Subaru commercial where they bragged that their plant was built environmentally-friendly. For cryin' out loud does it get any more embarrassing than that? Like people actually pick their vehicles based on how environmentally friendly the plant location is.

Please, I would welcome advertisements aimed at gay audiences over the hippie ads.

Great! Subarus are made in Lafeyette Indiana. Support US manufacturing, even if it is a foreign label.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am with you on that one. I suspect people that buy their 16yr old a car like that, do it for reasons other than their kid's need. I think it may demonstrate something in the parents, and the kid is just ancillary to what is being demonstrated. But, I am glad it is an American car. A 16yr old would be better served learning responsibility and how to earn things, in my opinion.
People are losing their homes, people are starving. This teenager is getting a car more expensive than a decent size house in a cheap market.

It is a sad world when the poor work the hardest and can not afford a roof over their heads let alone a car, yet the richest people have the most comfortable jobs and waste money so impressively.

But hey, as long as it is not happening to you there is no reason to concern yourself with the problems of humanity, much more pressing issues exist, like spending $35,000 to make sure your teenager is socially accepted.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
I drive a Subaru. I detest their national advertisements as they appear to be aimed at hippie types (dorky hiker couple that lose their car in the desert, just-married coming-from-ceremony loosey-goosey "different" (not gay) couple that pitch a collapsing tent in the pouring rain, guy who retraces his car trip stops to find his sunglasses that he eventually finds in the hood of his hoodie, all accompanied by hippie type music).

But, my Subaru car dealer, where I take my cars to be serviced, is owned by an old Southern gentleman, friendly and charming as all get out when you are just there for an oil change and tire rotation, the entire service department is friendly, helpful and down-home as they come and I like my car (never opened the "moon roof"). So, I just grimace when the national Subaru ads come on.

Oh yeah, there used to be a Subaru commercial where they bragged that their plant was built environmentally-friendly. For cryin' out loud does it get any more embarrassing than that? Like people actually pick their vehicles based on how environmentally friendly the plant location is.

Please, I would welcome advertisements aimed at gay audiences over the hippie ads.
Thank you for confirming what I have always believed...conservatives detest those different from them.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great! Subarus are made in Lafeyette Indiana. Support US manufacturing, even if it is a foreign label.
Foresters are still made in Japan.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times
The Camaro does look like a Barbie car. American "classics" are not aging well. The Corvette is the worst offender.

I prefer europeans cars and some asian models as well even though I mostly drive american cars since I drive rentals on weekend. Ford is making some nice quality cars recently though. Probably why they are are doing better than the competition.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM

174 posts, read 239,867 times
Quote:

Well, the subaru is a Hippy green car and therefore the environmentally-friendly theme works well with them. Just, like the Camaro is mainly marketed to the traditional muscle car buyer which is almost the polar opposite of the Subaru buyer.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Isn't it made in canada? It also is made with taxpayer money. Seems to be popular with mullet wearers and the donk crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies