U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:59 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,229,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
If you're secure in your sexuality, who cares? A car is just a car. Go to Europe and see the beaters they drive. In Italy, a car is just that. It's transportation. The smaller and cheaper the better.
Yeah because if you have an expensive car in Italy (southern) it will be stolen ASAP just the way a nice bicycle iin The Netherlands.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,450,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Chevrolet came out with the new re-designed Camaro two years ago. I think that it is a very sharp looking car, along with the new Mustangs and the Dodge Challenger.

One of the male nurses at our surgery center the other day told me he was selling his 2010 Camaro, as he heard that GM is target marketing Camaros to gays. This guy is a former truck driver as well as a Marine, and does not want to be identified with driving a gay car. It is a great car with a V-8 and a six speed and seems to me to really harken to the old Camaros, which were coveted by rednecks, such as myself.

That being said, I like them, and would not give a damn what anyone else thought of my car. My 16 year old son needs a car this summer, as his brother is going to college, leaving him without a ride to school. I asked him if he would like one of the new Camaros and he said definately not, as it is a "gay" car.

Two things-

1. Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

2. If #1 is true, why hell would GM target market a minority group and alienate their main consumer demographic?
Confirmed.
I saw couple cruising the park.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 PM

4,252 posts, read 2,301,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Chevrolet came out with the new re-designed Camaro two years ago. I think that it is a very sharp looking car, along with the new Mustangs and the Dodge Challenger.

One of the male nurses at our surgery center the other day told me he was selling his 2010 Camaro, as he heard that GM is target marketing Camaros to gays. This guy is a former truck driver as well as a Marine, and does not want to be identified with driving a gay car. It is a great car with a V-8 and a six speed and seems to me to really harken to the old Camaros, which were coveted by rednecks, such as myself.

That being said, I like them, and would not give a damn what anyone else thought of my car. My 16 year old son needs a car this summer, as his brother is going to college, leaving him without a ride to school. I asked him if he would like one of the new Camaros and he said definately not, as it is a "gay" car.

Two things-

1. Who in the hell would think that a car was associated with sexuality?

2. If #1 is true, why hell would GM target market a minority group and alienate their main consumer demographic?
Not true at all. Kindly pose this question over at www.ls1tech.com or in the arch rivals www.ls1gto.com or www.challengertalk.com or one of the many Ford sites. Not at all. The new Camaro harkens back to the 1969 Camaro.

The issue being the 1969 Camaro was a compact pony car and the new Camaro is based on a larger platform resulting in a vehicle which has a large fuselage (and oversized wheels) but low roof line. Appears as 1969 Camaro gone tubby and squashed.

Looks are very subjective. I drive the last rendition of the GTO based on an Australian vehicle. This vehicle was panned by U.S. enthusiast at the time of availabilty in our market. It is very bland and could a pass for preppy 4cyl coupe but it is blazing quick and fast.

Your coworker with the V8 six speed has the same engine as the Corvette(LS3) and it is a very quick and fast car. Nothing Gay at all except as in having a "Gay Old Time" as Fred and Barney would if they could tearass around Bedrock with it.

Thanks for the thread. Gave me a laugh after all of the seriousness and bashing in the other threads in the section.

Regarding cars and sexuality....I do not have an answer there. I have always owned and enjoyed fast cars and have never bashed anyone for not owning a high performance car or if they drove a vehicle marketed towards women.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-26-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM

25,775 posts, read 8,382,373 times
My only issue is with men who drive Muscle Car brands and buy them in the V-6 configuration. Quite effiminate if you ask me. I mean really, a man driving a V6 Mustang? Why not by a Focus instead? Geez.

But to the OP's point, that guy is an idiot. I wouldn't care if every gay i knew drove a Camaro. If i like it, i'll buy it.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,965,685 times
Please list some manly cars - but not Corvettes or other cars favored by toupéed old guys.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM

19,100 posts, read 9,423,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Please list some manly cars - but not Corvettes or other cars favored by toupéed old guys.
What is it with liberals and hating old people? Do you hate your father/grandfather?

Anyways, I've seen a lot of young guys here drive 80s era F250s with the old Powerstroke

Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,695,972 times
- Cadillac DTS
- Lincoln MKS
- Ford Taurus SHO
- Buick Lacrosse

Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM

13,953 posts, read 5,577,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Wow, it didn't take very long. Less than two minutes though I didn't put a watch on it. So, how come you aren't critical of those folks who think being gay is somehow a negative? See, that was my point. Do you go after my post that has a negative black connotation or those that think gayness is surely a negative? Kind of small social study all to itself.

I drive a Caddy, my wife drives a Chevy. We like GM. I realize you were making a joke.

However, being considered a "gay car" is not a very good thing for a high school kid. My 16 year old has a lot of self confidence, but high school is tough enough without inviting ridicule. We will not buy a Camaro for this reason. Being gay (or being perceived as being gay) is definately NOT COOL for a teenager. Who wants to introduce conflict when it is not necessary?

What will we get? Probably the Dodge Challenger- classic looking Mopar is pretty cool (I have a '69 Super Bee that has been modified to 600HP, Wilwood disc racing brakes, hemi transmission, Dana posi rear end, and a racing suspension). Mopars are pretty damn cool, but are not creatures of comfort. They are built big and designed to go fast in a straight line.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM

3,858 posts, read 3,965,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What is it with liberals and hating old people? Do you hate your father/grandfather?

Anyways, I've seen a lot of young guys here drive 80s era F250s with the old Powerstroke
What is it with righties having to drag politics into everything?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM

15,297 posts, read 5,483,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I didn't know people were still driving Hummers. lol.
Well, they can't sell them, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies