Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

I have a question..
If science proved the existence of ghosts would that mean the supernatural is valid. Would science review its evolution theory and look at creationism theory?
Would religions say ghosts aren't real even if science proved it real.
Would science and the communication with ghosts change all concepts of humanity as we know it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
The problem is, evolution is proven without a shadow of a doubt. There'd be no reason to review it in the light of creationism.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I have a question..
If science proved the existence of ghosts would that mean the supernatural is valid. Would science review its evolution theory and look at creationism theory?
Would science and the communication with ghosts change all concepts of humanity as we know it.
I guess that would depend on "what" was proved real. The idea of a disembodied soul hanging around earth haunting people flies directly in the face of Christianity...so honestly, I don't know that I'd believe the "thing" was that. Christianity certainly does not preclude the possibility of a supernatural being (angels and demons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
The problem is, evolution is proven without a shadow of a doubt. There'd be no reason to review it in the light of creationism.
rotflol

That does show an interesting thing though...the fact that you're unwilling to even think about alternate theories. It's very telling.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
I have a question..
If science proved the existence of ghosts would that mean the supernatural is valid.

No, it would only mean that ghosts are actually a natural phenomenon.

Quote:
Would science review its evolution theory and look at creationism theory?
No, because they have nothing to do with ghosts. Also, there is no Creationism Theory. It does not exist. They have a large pile of worthless, unverifiable hypotheses, and no evidence.

Quote:
Who knows. Which religion?

Quote:
All of them? No.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I guess that would depend on "what" was proved real. The idea of a disembodied soul hanging around earth haunting people flies directly in the face of Christianity...so honestly, I don't know that I'd believe the "thing" was that. Christianity certainly does not preclude the possibility of a supernatural being (angels and demons).

rotflol

That does show an interesting thing though...the fact that you're unwilling to even think about alternate theories. It's very telling.
What alternate theories?

Present one to me.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:01 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

rotflol

If other theories get the amount of proof that evolution has, then I'd look at it without a shadow of a doubt.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:02 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
I have a question..
If science proved the existence of ghosts would that mean the supernatural is valid.
No. That would establish ghosts as natural phenomena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll
Would science review its evolution theory and look at creationism theory?
No. The concept of ghosts has nothing obviously to do with either creationism or evolution.

Furthermore, creationism lost the battle for scientific legitimacy in the 19th century. You seem to forget that it is the earlier theory that was replaced by the newer better one... i.e. evolution.

If creationism is ever to be reconsidered, it needs to start coming up with evidence.

Quote:
There is no accounting for what any particular religion might or might not do.

Quote:
Since many (most?) humans already believe in ghosts, probably not.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
I have a question..

Science can only address nature. The supernatural is left for tabloid publications.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
I have a question..
Huh? Why the hypothetical question? Is there something you need to tell us? lol.

So you are willing to believe in ghosts but not an all-knowing Creator?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
For those who have witnessed the unatural, they are belivers, for those who have never experiences any paranoormal activity, nothing will ever convince them that there are ghosts. And you have to be opened in your mind and thinking, to accept the paranormal activity. I have witnessed things, nothing more need to be said for me, nothing bad, just loved ones who have passed away, and making me know that yes they are still here, also expreienced something with a friend who passed, and she more then made her presence known. I am a believer, but i will not get down on anyone else, who does not belive, you have got to experience this first hand, or you will never expreince this or believe in it. I did not until things happened that you in this world cannot explain. Or what you have seen, cannot be expalined away.

I don't think this can be explained by Science, it is something that just is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies