Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times

Advertisements

Corporations are money laundering operations for the Republican Party!

There is an unholy alliance between the Republican Party and corporations.

When these Republicans get into office, they repay these corporations with union busting that leads to lower wages for employees. These same Corporations (return the favor for the campaign money) and it’s the average worker who funds this quid pro quo system that is detrimental to the fiscal stability of states and our country because less wages means less tax revenues for government budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with ending the rule of the "Privileged Class" but the class is not the public workers but the executives and investors being paid hundreds to thousands of times as much as both private and public workers. I think you are demonizing teachers, cops and snow plow drivers just because they are closer and still have jobs after the greedsters set yours over the western ocean. Instead of the crap being fed to you by some of the bastards taking your money by the boat load focus your anger on the real thieves instead of your neighbors.

Where do you think the billion stolen by the Oil sheiks came from? It came from your wallets. Why are you picking on a cop making 60 grand a year when the real thieves make 60 grand a minute and pay no taxes at all?
Well said. I can't tell you the number of times I was told during my 37 years of teaching that "I knew what I was getting into when I chose to become a teacher," so I shouldn't complain - about anything. And, for the most part, I didn't. I did know what I was getting into, which was my salary might be low for someone with my credentials, but I was getting deferred compensation in the way of a guaranteed pension.

Now those same private sector workers who told me I was crazy to work for such a low salary, when I could have been making so much more in the private sector, are bitching and moaning about my pension. Well, I say to them the same thing they said to me, way back when I was making chicken feed next to their big salaries: We all make our choices and we all have to live with them. You took your chances in the private sector and for a long time made twice my salary. I chose the lower salary and guaranteed benefits. I'm living with my consequences. You need to live with yours.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm still waiting to see a contract signed by only one party, perhaps you have one?

If not, blaming only one party is BS.
It's the difference between true bargaining and a sham. True bargaining occurs when both parties have a vested interest to protect. In the private sector both the employer and the union have something to gain and lose in the negotiations. Both parties negotiate as hard as they can to advance their gains and to minimize their loses. The employer in particular has much to lose because if he gives away too much to the unions he risks the profitability of his company and its very survival.

That's not what happens when politicians bargain with public sector unions. The politicians have no skin in the game. It's not their money they're playing with. It's the taxpayers'. And when the politican negotiators are Democrats (and even some Republicans) who were put in office by the very unions they are negotiating with it means there really is only one signature on that collective bargaining agreement. The unions effectively sit on both sides of the bargaining table. The result is a corrupt bargain at the expense of taxpayers. And, finally, taxpayers are catching on to the scam.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
We all make our choices and we all have to live with them. You took your chances in the private sector and for a long time made twice my salary. I chose the lower salary and guaranteed benefits. I'm living with my consequences. You need to live with yours.
Except yours is at the expense of the taxpayer, who had NO say in your lavish pension and free HC.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What don't we get? You are calling the lower middle class the "privileged class!" Who/what totally brainwashed you? Are you not happy until all citizens, except the top 2% who are bilion/millionaires, live below the poverty level?
Sorry, when a firefighter or policeman can retire a millionaire, that is not lower class.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...y.html?sid=101
http://theunionlabelblog.com/2010/12...-millionaires/

Quote:
I've attended two Tea Parties, and in both cases I was confronted with the realization that most of the attendees did not have a clue regarding what they were so angry about.
Don't believe this for even a nanosecond.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Except yours is at the expense of the taxpayer, who had NO say in your lavish pension and free HC.
Are you also advocating taking away the lifetime guaranteed benefits to congress, past presidents, the supreme court?

Their benefits are at the expense of the taxpayer and their benefits are MUCH more lavish!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry, when a firefighter or policeman can retire a millionaire, that is not lower class.

Typical. You make a drive by statement such as this without any data, links, references, or facts to verify it!

Fire Fighter Salary - Average Fire Fighter Salaries - PayScale

Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Police, fire and sanitation are not state level jobs. Those are local to the city.
Picky, Picky. Fine take a look at New York City and look up the Police & FD rates of retirement on disability. Tell me why a Trash Collector makes more than a Teacher and gets OT. You can take it further and include MTA. None of these are held to such high standards as teachers.

Teachers in nearly every state are attacked and put under a microscope. What other group has to go for further education nearly every year. What other group has to do planning and mark tests at home and get no OT for it. Do we remember when parents were held accountable to make sure the home part of schooling/education was done? Yiu may a small group of bad teachers, but you have an extremely large group of teachers who are tired. And they are not privileged.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Typical. You make a drive by statement such as this without any data, links, references, or facts to verify it!

Fire Fighter Salary - Average Fire Fighter Salaries - PayScale
Did you miss the two links right under the statement?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Did you miss the two links right under the statement?
Yes because you just added them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies