Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

In other late-breaking news - President Clinton is impeached!

Seriously - some people must live far, far, far away from black people to think this is some revelation.

That said - I definitely think the predominant segregation is by class today. The black community has risen exponentially over the past 40 years, with a very solid middle / upper middle class emerging that is very much aligned with the middle classes of all races. There remains a massive under-class that holds onto its own lingo / style / cultural values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
this friend is, imo, giving too much thought to it. to be more practical/positive, what she can do is strongly teach her kids on what's good behavior and stupid behavior. make it front and center.
I've had that conversation with her before. Problem is she's encountered too many people who think things like this

Quote:
every ghetto black reflects badly on all blacks
and so whenever something happens she feels like people are looking at her in a negative manner.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I lived in socal in the 90's in a nice lower middle class neighborhood. It wasn't extravagant, with older houses, but it was clearly middle class. There was a mix of hispanic, black and white neighbors.

Then people went looking for bigger and better and there got to be a LOT of rentals. The barrio started moving in and the rest started moving out. We got gang scribbles everywhere. A bunch of preteen wannabe gangster boys wandered around and broke into houses, and liked to stop cars going down the street by standing in front of them and laughing. The white families moved out but so did the black AND the hispanic families who didn't like the place anymore because it wasn't their culture either.

It's natural for people to sort into classes, and left alone long enough will develope their own. I am not in the least bit surprised that black middle class do not want the kind of behavior the new neighbors are bringing. The black middle class and the white middle class and the middle class in general have more in common with those middle class than their race in the end.

I have noticed that those of us who are technically no longer "middle class" financially do not change in our cultural orientation and thinking and values. Class is about far more than how much money is in your bank account.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No, I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend who has a masters degree, has never been in trouble in her life and by most standards living the "good" life but every time we watch the news she goes "I hope they're not black" because she feels like for some reason every black robber, murderer, rapist, etc somehow makes her look bad. I used to think she was joking but then one day she told me she was so embarrassed at work when she found out that the DC Sniper was black she could barely look her coworkers in the eye

Silliest crap I ever heard.
Well she and I probably would have been good buds. I felt very embarrassed when Bernie Madoff pulled his stunt, especially since it came on the heels of convictions of a few other white collar Jewish criminals. Some of us were raised with a sense of responsibility to our "group" and feel ashamed when others in that group misbehave. It's not silly. It's just a difference in personality and outlook.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Before people start stereotyping the poor -- there are hardworking, law abiding people who are lower class socioeconomically. It isn't really fair to blame all crime on poverty, though yes, there is a strong statistical link. Still, there are a lot of poor people who try to teach their children good values.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
For those who claim whites are racist for "white flight" - wanting to get away from poor people culture in the city by running away to the suburbs, what do you think of blacks doing the same?

Foreclosure Crisis: Class is Becoming a Growing Issue in Black Communities
"There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." Cashin adds, "Middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who 'have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America.'"
Full MSNBC article here.
I see nothing new here. I remember in the 60s when blacks wouldn't buy real property where blacks lived for the same reason. Of course, back then they couldn't buy property among whites because the whites would move out and they would be stuck with depreciating property.

When we finally got to where blacks could buy those properties without being called blockbusters things improved for some time but not long.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No, actually it doesn't to people with common sense.
Exactly!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I don't blame them. I'm sure it hits them even harder than it hits white people, because every ghetto black reflects badly on all blacks and feeds into racism. Just feel bad for decent middle class blacks who don't always have as many options as white people do to move to a better area.
Did you know that there are plenty of ghetto whites also?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Did you know that there are plenty of ghetto whites also?
Yes, but they are not the subject of this thread. If you would like to talk about ghetto whites, you may do so -- but you need to start your own thread. I try to stay on topic.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:12 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
For those who claim whites are racist for "white flight" - wanting to get away from poor people culture in the city by running away to the suburbs, what do you think of blacks doing the same?

Foreclosure Crisis: Class is Becoming a Growing Issue in Black Communities
"There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." Cashin adds, "Middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who 'have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America.'"
Full MSNBC article here.
This is common sense. No decent person wants to be around that ghetto garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies