Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:53 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,309,780 times

Advertisements

Joel Osteen, the pastor of America's largest church, defended his position that homosexuality is a sin on Piers Morgan's Tonight, saying that even for the talented Elton John, being gay isn't "God's best for a person's life." "I've always believed, Piers, that the Scripture shows it's a sin," he said. "But I'm not one of those who are out there bash homosexuals and tell them that they are terrible people and all that. There are other sins in the Bible, too."

Morgan touted the interview, which airs Wednesday at 8 p.m., as the first time Osteen publicly took this position, explicitly opposing civil unions and homosexuality as sins according to the Bible, though Osteen has discussed his stance more generally on a number of talk shows.
"My message is about lifting people up. I really only talk about homosexuality in the interviews," he told Morgan during their conversation.
Osteen appeared on The View in November, when he could barely elaborate on biblical teachings on homosexuality over Joy Behar's interruptions

He has never preached a sermon on homosexuality at Lakewood Church in Houston, though, where a number of its 44,000 attendees are gay, plus more among the millions of viewers watching on TV. The familiar-faced televangelist and author is better known for positive, encouraging, self-help-style messages

Osteen on Piers Morgan: Homosexuality is a sin, Elton John a sinner | Believe It or Not | HoustonBelief.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 AM

499 posts, read 404,457 times
Entitled to his opinion.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,892,923 times
lol @ the bible

Old 01-29-2011, 05:09 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,309,780 times
This is newsworthy because Osteen is a prominent preacher and many preachers and clergy groups have been waffling in their stance concerning homosexuality.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
I like Joel Osteen-can't people have an opinion? He didn't say it in a hateful way...you don't like his opinion? Don't listen to him....

Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This is newsworthy because Osteen is a prominent preacher and many preachers and clergy groups have been waffling in their stance concerning homosexuality.
"Not God's best" is feeble condemnation of what to God is an abomination.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,521,086 times
I don't really understand the point of this thread. Osteen is a pastor of a Christian church. According to Biblical teaching, homosexuality is a sin. Nothing really newsworthy here IMO.

Like prevous poster stated he is entitled to his views.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
Entitled to his opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I like Joel Osteen-can't people have an opinion? He didn't say it in a hateful way...you don't like his opinion? Don't listen to him....
He has a right to his opinion, as do the rest of us.

My opinion: It's attitudes like Osteen's that contribute to the high rate of suicides in gay teens.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
He has a right to his opinion, as do the rest of us.

My opinion: It's attitudes like Osteen's that contribute to the high rate of suicides in gay teens.
First off Joel Osteen is a paster-this is the religious stance-like most religious leaders...second: because Joel was asked a question and answered it this contributes to the high rate of suicides? No, I believe one of the main reasons of the high rate of gay suicides is because of the family not accepting his/her sexual orientation..

Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
First off Joel Osteen is a paster-this is the religious stance-like most religious leaders...second: because Joel was asked a question and answered it this contributes to the high rate of suicides? No, I believe one of the main reasons of the high rate of gay suicides is because of the family not accepting his/her sexual orientation..
Not all religions say that homosexuality is a sin.

Osteen's statements influence what his followers believe. If a family doesn't accept homosexuality, there's a good chance their opinions were influenced by people like Osteen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies