Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I find hospitals that won't employe smokers very hypocritical at best.

1. They should not hire fat people either......they also run up healthcare costs.....just as much, if not more, than smokers do.

2. How can you tell your patients how unhealthy it is to be fat when you have hospital employees waddling about? {Especially doctors and nurses.}

If hospitals are trying to set a good example.....they need to get rid of their fat employees too.
you beat me to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
It makes sense to me on a certain level but I can see how that could lead down a slippery slope. This policy could apply to practically anyone with high risk behavior or activities that compromise a healthy lifestyle.

[the definition of risk and healthy are debatable]

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
It makes sense to me on a certain level but I can see how that could lead down a slippery slope. This policy could apply to practically anyone with high risk behavior or activities that compromise a healthy lifestyle.

[the definition of risk and healthy are debatable]
Leave the workers with no vices, and you surely will end
up dead on the operating room table

Talk away that coffee pot too

Old 03-02-2011, 01:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Leave the workers with no vices, and you surely will end
up dead on the operating room table

Talk away that coffee pot too
I think that hospital would be a boring place to work...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Well I guess at least the hospitals will be able to cater to the obese among their staff should they require hospitalisation...........

Medical Equipment Adapts to Plus-Sized Patients | Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, CW, and My Network | Local

Maybe the hospital networks could take things a step further and just refuse to treat smokers...........that should help cut costs.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:41 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Smokers need not apply at hospital network starting Tuesday | KING5.com | Seattle News, Breaking News, Weather

As of Tuesday, applicants who have been offered jobs, will be tested for nicotine use.

Nicotine will be added to the list of banned subtances detectable in urine tests, like marijuana and cocaine.

"We cannot in good conscience simultaneously be a champion for healthy communities and continue to hire people who smoke and use tobacco products," said Franciscan Chief Operating Officer Cliff Robertson, MD.

Interesting.
I salute their courage, common sense and moxie. Amen.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Isn't that discrimination ?
Yes it is - so what. Discrimination is fine, natural ad necessary. It is bad only when it is along certain, non-relevant characteristics like race, color, creed, sex etc., but you had to know that already.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No, no, no. You clearly don't understand the issue. This is not a second hand smoke issue. This has to do with the fact a person smokes, not where they smoke.
It has to do with being a nicotine user, smokes, chews or otherwise, if there is an otherwise in the case of tobacco.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
well I am on the patch so what about us who use support and have quit but using gum and patches?? Were screwed too??

Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Good. Next the hospital should get rid of any employees with a BMI above 28.

If health insurance cost keep riising it's only a matter of time before business stop hiring overweight people. I wouldn't be suprised if it's an unwritten policy in many places right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies