Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
This move is about lowering (or even sustaining) their employee group insurance rate.

You will see many more businesses following suit...the obese are next...
That is the real reason. The bottom line is what matters. What is the distinction between those that smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco, smoke pipes, have an occasional cigar, or use tobacco culturally (which a lot of MDs may do). I'd be surprised if any of the upper level employees get tested at all, but the nurses, techs, administrative support, etc...there going to be rounded up and cost effectively eliminated with "smoking" as a valid reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
It is all the time, nasty people handling food.

Smoking is a nasty habit, if they have a cold or flu etc they easily can pass it onto you handling your food.

I also agree with you about the nasty people who do not even wash their hands after going to the restroom.
Aren't you a member of the TEA party...or are you some kind of big government facist?

Hypocrite.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Yes, I do understand and I understand politics, they are just going the PC route of doing/saying things... hospitals need sick people in order to survive, its one thing to promote "healthy" communities when you need the opposite to stay in business...
What if your nurse chewed tobacco? There is no possible second hand exposure but they would be off the charts on a nicotine test. Should they be fired for doing something that has no effect on you at all? If your doctor smoked an occasional cigar after work would that change how they cared for you?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyd1963 View Post
Wow that graph is just lies and propaganda. More thin people get cancer and heart disease than larger people ever have
Please show me your source for this.

I find it unbelievable that someone would argue that thin people have higher health care costs than overweight people.

It is a simple fact that obese people pay more per capita in health care costs than those who are not obese. If you can give me statistics to prove me wrong, I would love to see the numbers.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Is it discrimination that I am not allowed to wear what I want to work (i.e., have to follow a dress code)?
No. The issue is someone who tells you what you are allowed to wear in your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies