Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Excellent news! Free speech wins!

Next, I would like to see obscenity laws found unconstitutional too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
How is this any different than Bullying a person until they commit suicide? Hey its Free Speech!

brushrunner
1. No one has committed suicide because of the Westboro Church, so it's not a good comparison.

2. Even if someone commits suicide due to supposed "bullying", the bullying speech is still protected speech under the Constitution. It's illegal to harass or stalk someone, but it's not illegal to be a "bully".

Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

If only.

If someone brought that before the court, there would be massive Christian right demonstrations.

While most of them don't approve of Westboro, I haven't heard of a massive movement in the Christian community and on TV to protest Westboro.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,942,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Still too late for Jim Morrison lol.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,013 times
Whether I like it or not, these people have the right to say what they want, freedom of speech and all that.

By the same token, if families and veterans wish to gather outside the Westboro church and then at the homes of each and every member, and hold signs that states that all members of the westboro church are a**holes, The residents of this house are members of this church full of a**holes, and that they should be strung up by their nose hairs and have a layer of skin peeled off of them and then dunked in alcohol, they should be allowed to also, freedom of speech and all that..

They should gather at the homes of each and every member, get in their faces, harass their whole family, (Peacefully of course), and "Do unto others, as others have done unto you".. (heh, favorite variation).

Maybe they should ALSO gather at the workplaces of everyone who is a member of that church too.. As many people that are out there looking for jobs, maybe their employers will get rid of them, and get some decent people hired, and these bozo's will lose everything, but hey, they can still protest...

Get some news crews out there, and

Old 03-02-2011, 11:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests - CNN.com

The SCOTUS has ruled in favor 8 to 1 to support freedom of all speech, even the despicable kind that comes from Westboro Baptist. I actually agree with the Supreme Court but not the church if you follow my logic. Do you agree with the Court's decision?
I do agree as disgusting that it is for me being a retired Soldier. I had the the sad and honor to say good-bye to some Soldiers at their gravesites and see the pain of their loved ones.

Just as the message above stated I have said that the best way to teach that church is to give them a taste of their medicine by demonstrating in front of their church with let us say gay banners and other ways until they get tired of it. All you could be doing is exercising the same right they did. When the arrive at funeral sites people can harass them the same way they are. In some sense the families may see the support for them, not just what the church is doing, take care.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do agree as disgusting that it is for me being a retired Soldier. I had the the sad and honor to say good-bye to some Soldiers at their gravesites and see the pain of their loved ones.

I have said that the best way to teach that church is to give them a taste of their medicine by demonstrating in front of their church with let us say gay banners and other ways until they get tired of it. All you could be doing is exercising the same right they did. When the arrive at funeral sites people can harass them the same way they are. In some sense the families may see the support for them, not just what the church is doing, take care.
Thats just it, Westboro is like a shock jock.

The louder, more offensive things they say, the more attention they get, and the more money they get from homosexual hate groups nationwide.

They want protesters outside of their church, with huge media coverage. Nothing would make them happier.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats just it, Westboro is like a shock jock.

The louder, more offensive things they say, the more attention they get, and the more money they get from homosexual hate groups nationwide.

They want protesters outside of their church, with huge media coverage. Nothing would make them happier.
To me they are just as human as anybody else. They will get tired of men kissing each other in front of their home, tired of the loud noises day in and day out, etc.

People can find legal ways to give them a hard time they they go to the stores to buy their food, to the gas station to buy gas, when they go to a restaurant, etc. They may like the attention as yo said but it can wear out after a while, take care.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They did carve out the exception for screaming fire in a movie theater.
Based on a "clear and present danger" standard. It's not the same kind of issue. This is one of balancing the rights of the parties.

Quote:
Maybe for grave sites and services people should also not be able to scream stuff? Just saying.

I think that the WBC does cross a major ethical line that is in fact beating up and anguishing people regarding recently deceased loved ones. A tiny exception could be due at this time.

Definitely they cross an ethical line and very few here would disagree that what they do is in extremely poor taste, at least.

That's why they do it. To get attention.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
To me they are just as human as anybody else. They will get tired of men kissing each other in front of their home, tired of the loud noises day in and day out, etc.

People can find legal ways to give them a hard time they they go to the stores to buy their food, to the gas station to buy gas, when they go to a restaurant, etc. They may like the attention as yo said but it can wear out after a while, take care.
Cults, like Westboro, hardly follow the rules of normal human behavior. Just like Jonestown and Waco, they wouldn't care, if anything it'd strengthen their resolve. At least thats my opinion, for what its worth.

These people are like roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies