Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times

Advertisements

I like watching his movies but take them with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Please explain where you came up with this insane idea...? It is not the fault of the rich that some people are underachievers...!
You envy and hate the rich, get a job, become rich...!! Anyone can do it..!!
Can you be more sarcastic?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Does a billionaire actually work thirty million times harder than the average worker?.
Interesting. Who are you to judge that? Perhaps a millionaire works thirty million times SMARTER than the average worker. Clearly, millionaires are not average.

It's parasitic to expect and feel entitled to someone else's money. Work smarter or settle for average and make do with what you have -- and be thankful for it.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:13 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
He should run for office. I haven't seen a democrat so honestly and eloquently express the democrat agenda in awhile.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Wow. Think the rich should pay more to fund governmment........Crazy leftists!

Only that's the path most Americans would choose according this Rasmussen poll from two days ago.

45% Favor Candidate Who Promises to Only Raise Taxes on Wealthy, Highest Level In Over Two Years - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Or this one 1 month ago at 61%

https://www.rttnews.com/Content/Poli...=B1&Id=1518084

Or this CNN poll from November.

CNN Poll: Only one-third favor tax cut extension for wealthy – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Your argument is essentially tyranny of the majority. Just because the majority of the people want it doesn't make it a good idea. As you said in your previous posts, the tax rate on the rich is much lower today than it has been in the past. There is a reason for that: The progressive income tax system is becoming defunct.

In fact, the recent history of the planet is largely characterized by the spread of technology, democracy, and associated economic liberalization. Our relatively recent free market advances, in nearly every sector of our lives, have done more to provide for us freedom and prosperity than nearly any construct of our massive government machinations. People like Moore are artifacts of an outdated world view, academically fascinating in that their views reflect a yesterday of class warfare and struggles for equality and worker's rights (such are the birthing pains of freedom), but hardly relevant to today's reality, and even less relevant to the reality that is rapidly being born in this young century. Liberty is the way forward.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Interesting. Who are you to judge that? Perhaps a millionaire works thirty million times SMARTER than the average worker. Clearly, millionaires are not average.

It's parasitic to expect and feel entitled to someone else's money. Work smarter or settle for average and make do with what you have -- and be thankful for it.
So, rich=smart? I don't think so unless there's only one goal: to make money. If that's the America you want, then, I guess we'll have an economy where there is no upper bound. One person can be worth all the rest. I don't consider that smart, I consider that destructive.

Your introduction of parasites and entitlements into the discussion is interesting because at no point did I infer that a person is entitled to another's wealth. I just don't think we can survive as a society if we feel that some people can be worth so much more than another. What is accomplished when the majority of the country is essentially reduced to zero? We end up with Egypt where the leader has untold billions and the population survives on $10 a month (or some other ridiculous and obscene amount). Where's the middle class in that?

I believe we are capable of having and sustaining a middle class of 200+ million people who are satisfied with what that gives them and don't have a compelling need to rip everyone else off to 'get ahead'. It's not that poor people have a sense of entitlement as much as it is that their hopelessness in a system that treats them like garbage (dog-eat-dog) gives them very few options. It is a rose-colored glasses conclusion that everyone in this country has the same economic opportunity. Greed and selfishness are not opportunities and they are not good foundations. Recognizing our tendency to covet what others have and want more of everything is the first step in correcting it. We can do better.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
You misunderstand. You asked, Does a billionaire actually work thirty million times harder than the average worker?.

I answered, Perhaps a millionaire works thirty million times SMARTER than the average worker

Not talking about the worth of a person, but about the work. For some reason you changed it to a discussion of the worth of an individual.

Also, it sounds to me you are equating wealth with greed. Wealth is not always the result of greed.
Holding on to it, tight fisted, is greed. Making/producing wealth is not greedy in itself.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding now.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So, rich=smart? I don't think so unless there's only one goal: to make money. If that's the America you want, then, I guess we'll have an economy where there is no upper bound. One person can be worth all the rest. I don't consider that smart, I consider that destructive..

An economy with no "upper bound" is a wonderful thing. It says there is no limit on what somebody can achieve.

I find it sad that you want to limit achievement.

Also,why do you care what other people make? I suggest you focus on your own situation and forget about what other people make.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
An economy with no "upper bound" is a wonderful thing. It says there is no limit on what somebody can achieve.

I find it sad that you want to limit achievement.

Also,why do you care what other people make? I suggest you focus on your own situation and forget about what other people make.
Exactly! The amount of wealth in the country is NOT finite.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:54 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Too bad Michael Moore can't be more like Alex James and do more thorough research and really educate people as to what is going on. Some say he is just a shill for the corporatists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies