Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

They've been in another state trying to give the R leadership time to hear from constituents, and time to try to get clearer heads to prevail. I have no idea what the Dem's are planning to do now--if you have a link to a democrat saying they're close to caving, why don't you post it?

I don't think the tea party is looking out for the taxpayers. I think they ran on a ticket of economic reform without giving specifics, and now that they're in office, they're going so far beyond that, that it's laughable. They won lots of those races in Wisconsin by a very narrow margin in 2010--it was a "throw the bums out" election nationally. Instead of focusing on creating jobs, they're pulling stunts like this, and when voters are upset, they don't care. I'm a moderate R, and I think they need to be thrown out. That's what the recall process is for--when you win an office, you DON'T have the right to do whatever you want to do, just because you won. If people feel strongly enough, they can vote you right out again. If people don't feel strongly about it, the recall won't go anywhere, but I wouldn't bet on it, unless you're living under a rock and haven't watched the news (or the polls) for the last three weeks.

EDIT--if you want to pick the one issue that would unite moderate R's and Dems against the tea party, this might be it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please! They make ~50k in NJ. Are you saying that an apartment and their expenses at the capitol are close to 50k a year? LOL
Can you support a family on $50 thousand gross a year? I can't--I earn a little more than that, and all my earnings go in the college fund--my DH supports our family. In my state they make much less.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Can you support a family on $50 thousand gross a year? I can't--I earn a little more than that, and all my earnings go in the college fund--my DH supports our family. In my state they make much less.
That's not what you said though. You said MOST of their salary goes to those things, which is false. If you ask me, 50k is good money for part time work.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's not what you said though. You said MOST of their salary goes to those things, which is false. If you ask me, 50k is good money for part time work.
It turns out to not be part time with constituent work in the districts--it's a year round job, plus most of them keep regular office hours when they're not in session--the Senators more so than the state reps.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
I have supported my family on less....and we live a very good life.....

$50,000 is a lot of money....

Matter a fact...my gross was $48,000 2 years ago....

It's more now, but that is nothing but savings....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Quote:
They've been in another state trying to give the R leadership time to hear from constituents, and time to try to get clearer heads to prevail.
Yes, I am sure that was EXACTLY their intent. In fact, can you post the link where the WI Democratic senators sent communication to the protestors and told them to please go home to avoid any "hotheads" from potentially disrupting this cooling-off period? And then, please post the transcripts from the online chats or phone calls that the WI Democratic Senators have had with Governor Walker where they discuss this with him?

And once you have those links, I would like similar links for the Indiana Democrats who fled to Kentucky... for the same reason of course.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Yes, I am sure that was EXACTLY their intent. In fact, can you post the link where the WI Democratic senators sent communication to the protestors and told them to please go home to avoid any "hotheads" from potentially disrupting this cooling-off period? And then, please post the transcripts from the online chats or phone calls that the WI Democratic Senators have had with Governor Walker where they discuss this with him?

And once you have those links, I would like similar links for the Indiana Democrats who fled to Kentucky... for the same reason of course.
You won't get anything close to what you asked for. These poeple are just relaying what they have been given to pass around.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
I can't believe the liberal responses on this thread. The responses are so hypocritical and full of lies that it merely illustrates a huge lack of cognitive ability. They rationalize based on the final goal; common sense and logic are completely devoid in all of their responses. This country is truly a hot mess, and it's mostly due to liberals; add in some neocons for good measure.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post

Why don't I just post the only real transcript out there--the one where Walker gave 20 minutes of his time during a state crisis to someone he thought was Koch, and chatted away about considering the possibility of introducing fake protesters in the crowd to behave badly (rejected--not because it was wrong, but because it might backfire), etc.

Give me a break

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/116751499.html

Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Why don't I just post the only real transcript out there--the one where Walker gave 20 minutes of his time during a state crisis to someone he thought was Koch, and chatted away about considering the possibility of introducing fake protesters in the crowd to behave badly (rejected--not because it was wrong, but because it might backfire), etc.

Give me a break

Transcript of prank call to Walker - JSOnline
Where the hell did he insinuate the possibility of introducing fake protesters? How are protesters "fake?" Unless you think that the protesters shipped in to Wisconsin by the unions were fake, I see zero relevance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies