Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most people see the Phelps clan as a bunch of loons, but far right politicians like Huckabee and Forrester have huge followings among the American right. Huckabee could even be our next President if things unfold just so.
Yeah go Mike Huckabee !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I just wonder if people vehemently oppose WestBoro for it's disrupting funerals.....be it gay, straight or military????? Or just some of the mentioned groups. Otherwise as evidenced by the poll.......why then are so many people so hostile towards gay people. Surely we all are in agreement that the Westboro Cult is wrong and a group of hatemongers!
You may be misapprehending peoples' feelings. Those (like myself) who find gay marriage and the entire "gay rights" movement absurd, harbor no ill will or hostility to gay people -- AS PEOPLE. What I (and I would wager, many others like me) find offensive is the public expression of willfully ugly and provocative behavior, meant to taunt and harass the rest of us, who are just trying to get along and live our lives in peace.

To my mind, there is certain commonality between Phelps and his morons, and groups like the lowlifes who engage in the disgusting Up Your Alley "celebrations" in San Francisco each year.

That said, the Westboro tactic of not just disrupting lives, but funerals and memorials, for military veterans who have given their lives for us, deserves a special kind of response. Since our cowardly legal system does not feel compelled to offer legal remedies, it is long past time for us, as citizens, to take matters into our own hands.

This whole affair stopped being about gay and straight a long time ago -- if, indeed, the Westies ever really gave a hoot about homosexuality. That is a trivial concern, anyway, since only a fool would argue that we are not all people -- or souls, if one prefers -- in the eyes of the Creator of one's choice.

This is not about sexual preference. It's about acting like a morons and causing other people pain and distress.

It is now time to visit some pain and distress on Mr. Phelps and his pin-headed followers.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

This is not about sexual preference. It's about acting like a morons and causing other people pain and distress.
Agreed. And when hetero's fail to lead by example by refraining from abusing them legislatively, they lash out. I don't care for lewd and lascivious behavior anymore than you do. Most feeling the need to attack the worth of others are only betraying their own lack of identity/ worth in themselves. Food for thought.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You may be misapprehending peoples' feelings. Those (like myself) who find gay marriage and the entire "gay rights" movement absurd, harbor no ill will or hostility to gay people -- AS PEOPLE. What I (and I would wager, many others like me) find offensive is the public expression of willfully ugly and provocative behavior, meant to taunt and harass the rest of us, who are just trying to get along and live our lives in peace.

To my mind, there is certain commonality between Phelps and his morons, and groups like the lowlifes who engage in the disgusting Up Your Alley "celebrations" in San Francisco each year.

That said, the Westboro tactic of not just disrupting lives, but funerals and memorials, for military veterans who have given their lives for us, deserves a special kind of response. Since our cowardly legal system does not feel compelled to offer legal remedies, it is long past time for us, as citizens, to take matters into our own hands.

This whole affair stopped being about gay and straight a long time ago -- if, indeed, the Westies ever really gave a hoot about homosexuality. That is a trivial concern, anyway, since only a fool would argue that we are not all people -- or souls, if one prefers -- in the eyes of the Creator of one's choice.

It is now time to visit some pain and distress on Mr. Phelps and his pin-headed followers.

Unfortunately yes it is also about sexual ORIENTATION; since Phelps and company also disrupt any event, be it a play, movie, etc...that they perceive to be gay.

As for your mentioning of "parades"...GET REAL...not every gay person(I've never been to one) goes to such things and they are just that parades...and "up your alley" was a crude and rude comment; which betrays your true sentiments!!!!......So I have heard enough of your sanctimonious comments!!!. And I expect an apology for your inflammatory post.!!!!!

Most gay parades are nothing like San Franciscos. How would you like me assuming and judging you by Mardis Gras in New Orleans. A bunch of drunk AS****S.......stripping in public for beads. Boobs/Beads and Beavers...... seems all you straight people ever think about and to revel in this as TV cameras film it for children to see is abhorrent.

Now see.....I too can judge a entire group of people by the actions of a few.....it ain't pretty either!. My mate served 8 years in Vietnam for his country and look how he and myself are treated. You refuse to allow us to marry after we have been together FAR longer than most of you with your multiple divorces....28 years so far for us...but yet you still insist that it's okay to be gay....we just are not equal.......I for one have had enough of the condescending rhetoric!!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I am not surpised as year ago the courts ruled and the supreme let pass the leagl rulig that what is knon as shooting the finger ws no longer disorderly conduct. The court ruled it had become a common laguage of the people. What it really amounts to is a sad commentary of the civlity standards in this country. But I do not afvor such things other nations have done such as the hate speech laws because they become politcally based.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am not surpised as year ago the courts ruled and the supreme let pass the leagl rulig that what is knon as shooting the finger ws no longer disorderly conduct. The court ruled it had become a common laguage of the people. What it really amounts to is a sad commentary of the civlity standards in this country. But I do not afvor such things other nations have done such as the hate speech laws because they become politcally based.
Well...I agree...flipping somebody "the bird" is hardly a "crime"......and a waste of Police time and resources.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
I think that it is a slippery slope when we allow ALL speech. Protest that was constituted to intentionally inflict emotional distress and abuse on another person or group is beyond political speech. I also think that a "clear and present danger" is demonstrated by the public reaction on the whole. People have not held back with comments on basically kicking ***. I think we can, for the most part, agree that this particular case is beyond mere protesting. It attacks families in a most sensitive time and has the potential to incite public violence. I think that a "free for all" attitude to the first amendment is closer to anarchy than it is to democracy. We must weigh the rights of society against the rights of the individual; when the rights of the individual outweigh the rights of society in general it is clear that we have crossed the line.

Before anyone begins to bring in the civil rights protests, homosexual rights protests, or other such protests in which a group might be a "minority"; this group is not supported by any significant number of people in society and does not logically defend any one groups right against the oppression of the larger majority.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
I find the church abhorrent but they are clearly within their first amendment rights and the SCOTUS ruling was correct.

The real question is would you support amending the constitution so that this kind of hate speech could be outlawed -- and to that, I say yes.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:07 PM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
I oppose amending the Constitution because it is the vagueness allowed it to work for so many years. The flexibility has allowed us to grow toward the "we the people" ideal that was not present in the day that it was written...but, the interpretation should be reflect the hopes of the founders; this is where the court has falling short.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:32 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Unfortunately yes it is also about sexual ORIENTATION; since Phelps and company also disrupt any event, be it a play, movie, etc...that they perceive to be gay.
Then they`re even more deserving of oboloquy than I thought.

Quote:
our mentioning of "parades"...GET REAL...not every gay person(I've never been to one) goes to such things and they are just that parades...and "up your alley" was a crude and rude comment; which betrays your true sentiments!!!!......So I have heard enough of your sanctimonious comments!!!. And I expect an apology for your inflammatory post.!!!!!
The crudeness and rudeness are totally part and parcel of the annual Folsom "Up Your Alley" parade -- that`s its name, look it up, I didn`t choose it --- after you`ve done so, I`d appreciate YOUR apology for flying off the handle over something of which you know so little, and for misstating my original obervations, which referred to those -- gay, straight, or nuts (like Phelps), who feel compelled to engage in offensive public behavior. You don`t engage in it? Good. Neither do I.

Quote:
y parades are nothing like San Franciscos. How would you like me assuming and judging you by Mardis Gras in New Orleans. A bunch of drunk AS****S.......stripping in public for beads. Boobs/Beads and Beavers...... seems all you straight people ever think about and to revel in this as TV cameras film it for children to see is abhorrent.
So you hate straights. And in a thread about a hater. This is sad....

Quote:
.....I too can judge a entire group of people by the actions of a few.....it ain't pretty either!. My mate served 8 years in Vietnam for his country and look how he and myself are treated. You refuse to allow us to marry after we have been together FAR longer than most of you with your multiple divorces....28 years so far for us...but yet you still insist that it's okay to be gay....we just are not equal.......I for one have had enough of the condescending rhetoric!!!!
You and your friend are not the subject of this thread, and are of no concern to me, except that I wish you well. Fred Phelps is. And his actions, as I have repeatedly stated, are despicable, regardless of one`s sexual preference. Hate me, if you wish, though it`d be a mistake on your part, since I`m sure Fred Phelps does, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies