U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
 
Location: USA
2,580 posts, read 3,437,983 times
Reputation: 2220

Advertisements

This question is mostly geared toward anti-union, anti-minimum wage, and anti-child labor law supporters. These positions worry me because I feel future generations of Americans will be terribly exploited if some politicians get their way.

Personally, I'd rather not see my grandchildren working for 75 cents an hour with no benefits like workers in China do right now. I also do not want to see 10 year olds doing dangerous labor jobs such as coal mining like they did in the year 1900.

Is it just me, or do some just not care about future generations just as long as they "got theirs?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,361,197 times
Reputation: 1219
I see widening wealth gaps. A heightening unemployment rate. A small subset of highly paid skilled labor versus a wide base of poorly paid skilled labor, and then there is a large working underclass.

It is hard to imagine the next generation's median living standards to be superior to the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
 
Location: USA
2,580 posts, read 3,437,983 times
Reputation: 2220
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I see widening wealth gaps. A heightening unemployment rate. A small subset of highly paid skilled labor versus a wide base of poorly paid skilled labor, and then there is a large working underclass.

It is hard to imagine the next generation's median living standards to be superior to the present.
That's what I forsee too, and those conditions are very similar to what you see in 3rd world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM
 
Location: South Jordan, Utah
6,652 posts, read 7,121,955 times
Reputation: 2840
The problem is you are looking back wards. In the future most of our daily household work and most jobs will be automated or robotic. We have been heading in this direction for 100 years. Now most people are very scared of this trend, the problem is you need to embrace it and not fear it.

Sure, there will be many issues and problems as we transition but the future will be very different once complete.

If most menial tasks are automated it will free up a lot of time for people, this will allow people to focus on the experience economy. This will he a hybrid of entertainment and service it will allow many more people to pursue creative exploits. We will also see a craftsman class develop os people take time to create highly custom intricate products.

I look forward to the amazing world my kids will inherit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,332,350 times
Reputation: 14837
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I also do not want to see 10 year olds doing dangerous labor jobs such as coal mining like they did in the year 1900.
Sales (e.g. store clerk) is more dangerous job than coal mining as are many other common jobs like driving truck or sanitation workers. You can find these statistics here: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

In any event no 10 year old belongs in mine unless they are there on educational tour, matter of fact I'm not so sure a ten year old belongs at any job because most are not going to be mature enough. The only legislation I've read that was proposed from one state simply allows a parent to make their own decision if a child is going to work. Dangerous jobs like coal mining were still forbidden as were many others they listed.

Jobs they might get would be menial ones lke sweeping the floor. There used to be a tomato farm near where I lived. When the season hit you could go there and work as little or as long as you wanted picking tomatoes .Lot of bikes purchased with that money from that farm and more importantly it instilled a work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 AM
 
1,168 posts, read 1,003,128 times
Reputation: 912
The reason why children don't have to work anymore is not because of some retards in D.C., but because our wealth is so great that one man can support a whole family. Before the 19th century the economic reality had always been work or starve for children. The laws just prevent children who actually do want to work from working. Laws always have unintended consequences and if they were all repealed I would see a prosperous future opposite to the depressed future I see now were politicians and bureaucrats have to approve of every step you take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,850 posts, read 19,608,592 times
Reputation: 6479
I want the future to hold the freedom of opportunity for someone to advance according to their merit and get paid what the market will bear. I do not want a future where employment, wages, and benefits are union controlled. That is not freedom, and it certainly does not permit the pursuit of happiness. Every state must be a Right-To-Work state. Until that happens we will never be free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,952 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Reputation: 49913
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
This question is mostly geared toward anti-union, anti-minimum wage, and anti-child labor law supporters. These positions worry me because I feel future generations of Americans will be terribly exploited if some politicians get their way.

Personally, I'd rather not see my grandchildren working for 75 cents an hour with no benefits like workers in China do right now. I also do not want to see 10 year olds doing dangerous labor jobs such as coal mining like they did in the year 1900.

Is it just me, or do some just not care about future generations just as long as they "got theirs?"
I'd just like to see them working and paying taxes so they don't vote like a bunch of idealists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Columbus
4,879 posts, read 3,777,500 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
The reason why children don't have to work anymore is not because of some retards in D.C., but because our wealth is so great that one man can support a whole family. Before the 19th century the economic reality had always been work or starve for children. The laws just prevent children who actually do want to work from working. Laws always have unintended consequences and if they were all repealed I would see a prosperous future opposite to the depressed future I see now were politicians and bureaucrats have to approve of every step you take.
And anyone can look at Census Bureau data from the late 1800s to see what you say is exactly correct. The number of kids working was dropping rapidly starting in 1880. By 1920 is was non-existent, except for farm kids. The feds didn't get around to outlawing it until 1937.

In 1880, when the child labor problem was being fixed by capitalists, unions made up less than 3% of the working population. But they take credit for fixing it? LOLs. Wages were also rising at a faster rate (57%) at this time without unions and min. wage laws.

Unions are a bunch of money-grubbing, worthless liars. We'd all be better off without 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Columbus
4,879 posts, read 3,777,500 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
This question is mostly geared toward anti-union, anti-minimum wage, and anti-child labor law supporters. These positions worry me because I feel future generations of Americans will be terribly exploited if some politicians get their way.

Personally, I'd rather not see my grandchildren working for 75 cents an hour with no benefits like workers in China do right now. I also do not want to see 10 year olds doing dangerous labor jobs such as coal mining like they did in the year 1900.

Is it just me, or do some just not care about future generations just as long as they "got theirs?"
Thuis is what I keep asking myself when I see these union protestors on the television. Simple math shows the State of Ohio will go broke if they do not do something about the budget. But the union seems to be saying "**** you, I want mine".

Plus, they act like they are he only group that is going to have to be cut back some. They are only the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top