Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,586,671 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how many of you would invest the money and time to become and remain a public school teacher even if you disregarded the current animosity directed at the Teachers of wisconsin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM

4,069 posts, read 4,111,114 times
Teachers teach because they what they do. NOT because they can belong in a union. Yes, you do have some that become teacher because of the guarantee benefit package that you cannot get any where else.

Honestly, I don't understand why we all public union to form anyway. Call a strike and close down the school. Illegal? Yes. But it happen. At least for the MTA of NYC. They called a strike and the boss they elected didn't prosecute them like the law said.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,515,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to know how many of you would invest the money and time to become and remain a public school teacher even if you disregarded the current animosity directed at the Teachers of wisconsin?
I wish more citizens of character would invested their time and heart into teaching. And not people who have the mind set that they want to be under the car of a union contract.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,606,756 times
Hmmmm, I would like to say that teachers teach because that is their calling. And luckily for us, that is exactly why most of them do it.

However, it cannot be disregarded that they get one hell of a sweet retirement package that rivals the police and firemen contracts. In my state, they can retire while still in their fifties for at least half of their salary plus they can then be rehired by same school district at a beginning teachers salary --- my SILs sister is making more money retired than she did gainfully employed. I would love to know what other industries offer retirement packages like that.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,258,242 times
I always thought that most teacher were level headed and wanted to teach.

Now seeing how they have acted recently I believe most of them are just greedy selfish people who want to put the kids last and themselves first.

A new generation of liberal minded teachers over the past 10-15 years is what is changing the dynamic.

The old school teacher would not walk on their students, this new liberal minded teachers will walk on top of the kids to get their greedy hand on something.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 AM

After I returned from 'Nam, in the late 1960's and started college I considered a teaching career. I looked at the realities of teaching (my in-laws both taught at a public high school) and realized I did not want to put the energy into a low paying career. I also considered an academic career and knew I would never be able to survive the BS required for a PhD. Let alone find the money to stay partially employed for that long. I also know myself well enough to realize however much I would enjoy teaching on either level I would not be able to tolerate the pyramid of fools called administration.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,490,412 times
A truly dedicated teacher isn't in it for the big money but too bad most teachers aren't in it for the love of teaching kids but for the money and big pensions and very early retirement.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,869,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
To make the Big Bucks, at least according to the right-wingers here. Just don't be too disappointed when that does not turn out to be the case.
Casper

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,186,595 times
One of the things that I find amazing (and deserving of a thread in its own right) is the depth and breadth of the campaign against the very people who enable civilised society to function. Civil servants, teachers, professors, scientists. People who are well compensated and highly respected in other parts of the world like Europe and East Asia (coincidentally or not, places with far better education systems). It seems totally counterintuitive to the goal of having an advanced society.

They're seems to be an unchallenged consensus that scientists and professors are elitists and public workers (especially teachers) are lazy leeches. That's really the way to inspire capable people to take such jobs...

Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM

SD - So you think new teachers are acting just like any privately employed middle manager. Why shouldn't they? Looking out for your self is the mantra of the conservative. IMHO the society had a great deal when k-12 teaching was a ghetto occupied by women willing to accept low pay and respect. Younger women, and men, are not a subservient, and desire to be treated and paid as educated professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies