Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 AM

8,942 posts, read 11,732,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Voting is a crap shoot. Find a candidate which doesn't lie through their teeth and then do the opposite when they get in office?

How about we put a law into effect that states that when a candidate enters office, they must follow through on what they said while running, or be put out of office effective immediately? There needs to be a system of checks and balances for these clowns who are trying to be our President.
Good idea! We have a recall process in CA. It's rarely used, but it does work. There should be something like that at the federal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM

335 posts, read 1,434,313 times
Quote:
What if the candidates are both bad? Lesser of two evils? Why not throw them out and demand new candidates??? I don't feel the PEOPLE have to put up with whatever is brought to the board, I think we can demand new candidates if we do not agree with either candidate. As well, I think what I just said previously about passing a law to make candidates follow their proposed actions after election be instated.
it's a great idea to have more choice over candidates that gets closer to the heart of democracy. i'd support that happening, but it won't happen any time soon. until then, pick your poison.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
We should also abolish nepotism and people who hire people just because they are in the same frat/sorority, alumni, friends of friends, etc. We should also stop schools who admit students just because their parents are alumni and they contribute big dollars. That would REALLY level the playing field.

I agree! All of the above is very similar to Affirmative Action. No complaints about that though. Hmm I wonder why?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Affirmative action should be abolished. Affirmative action is a farce which gives minorities an unfair advantage over people of white race in the job market and educational arena. To remove racist tendencies of employers or admissions officials at institutions of higher learning there should be no physical description of candidates for the position. No 'in person' or telephone interviews. All interviews should be done on paper or computer to eliminate favoritism. Organizations which are themselves racist under the guise of 'promoting a better life for minorities' such as the NAACP, United Negro College fund and other such entities should be abolished.
Are you aware that white women benefit from Affirmative Action (AA)? That little thing called the glass ceiling was much much lower before AA. I agree with another poster that said a lot white people are using the fact that AA exists as an excuse for their own failures. I guess "the man" is keeping you down too huh?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
As the risk of stating the obvious, you can try to change things by voting for the people who believe in the things you believe in. The presidential candidates make their stance on some issues very clearly. I notice one of things you find unacceptable is illegal immigration. Vote for one who doesn't believe that illegal immigration or amnesty is good for this country. Same thing with corporate greed -- there are still some candidates who believe in the American workers. Begin at the political process and go from there. Good luck.
DAvid, I can vote for several who do not believe in it, but whose is going to have the you know what to do what is right by the American People. And what exactly have they given us to vote for???? I mean, Hilary Clinton??? Everyone is stating she did a great job last night...so what? She and her husband got into some very sticky stuff years ago, and you mean to tell me, your willing to put people like that in charge?

Who the heck is running for President that has concern for the people...and not the lobbyists who are putting them there b/c they are going to be their puppets??????

God, when are people going to open their eyes and wake up...voting is not the answer when you have no one to vote for that has moral character and is willing to work for the people.

There was one guy there who isn't being backed by anyone, and unfortunately he will not win, but I tell you true, he would be much better then the CLintons.

Republican party is unfortunately Bushes disaster, so now, everyone is going to lean the other way...which is what happens every time, and nothing ever gets done, we worsen our chances by being hungry for good leadership instead of standing up and demanding they WORK FOR THE PEOPLE, and put someone in the running that is honest and responsible, with moral values and not a yes, man/woman.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM

562 posts, read 657,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Are you aware that white women benefit from Affirmative Action (AA)? That little thing called the glass ceiling was much much lower before AA. I agree with another poster that said a lot white people are using the fact that AA exists as an excuse for their own failures. I guess "the man" is keeping you down too huh?
Are you aware of the admittance pecking order of higher institutions? I am. It goes as such:

Minority Female
Minority Male
White Female
White Male

So you feel that if I am an employer and need to hire an employee that if I have two candidates for the job, a white and a minority that even though the white might be more qualified that I need to hire the minority to support Affirmative Action? That is what you are saying. Forcing companies to employee a 'quota' of minorities in their workplace does nothing. Do you know I can go to Louisiana and walk into a restaurant where the entire establishment is composed of minority employees? How about hiring a few whites? You, yayoi are a chain puller and are a thread troll. Why not go back to your hole before you are squashed intellectually? "The Man" is keeping the problem alive is what is happening here.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Are you aware of the admittance pecking order of higher institutions? I am. It goes as such:

Minority Female
Minority Male
White Female
White Male

So you feel that if I am an employer and need to hire an employee that if I have two candidates for the job, a white and a minority that even though the white might be more qualified that I need to hire the minority to support Affirmative Action? That is what you are saying. Forcing companies to employee a 'quota' of minorities in their workplace does nothing. Do you know I can go to Louisiana and walk into a restaurant where the entire establishment is composed of minority employees? How about hiring a few whites? You, yayoi are a chain puller and are a thread troll. Why not go back to your hole before you are squashed intellectually? "The Man" is keeping the problem alive is what is happening here.
It's no different then hiring a buddy 'cause you know them. The former head of FEMA is a perfect example of somebody hired via the "good 'ol boy" network. Is it more acceptable for him to be hired over you (hypothetically speaking) than a minority being hired over you?

LOL I guess anyone who disagrees with you is a chain puller or a thread troll then. Nice way to debate.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
I did not want to be part of the bonfire you have probably started so I will only comment on a small part of your post.

My husband used to work for Avondale Mills, a textile company that had been open since before the civil war. Now most Americans are wearing stuff from places like China (Even American patriotic clothing is made in foreign countries now days) 4000 people in America lost their jobs when the company closed it's doors. My husband was out of work for over 6 months before he found the job he has now.

If you love your country make an effort to buy stuff that was made in your country at least part of the time.

If you don't buy stuff from your neighbors today, don't be surprised if your taxes are paying for his welfare tomorrow.

BTW does anyone know of a computer company that has tech support people who have been speaking English for more than two weeks?
Having computer problems is stressful enough without having to struggle to understand what your tech support person is saying.
I'm all for buying US made goods and trying like hell to not buy chinese garbage.. I remember when the Army went to the beret and a soldier I worked with told me it was made in china. that's unsat

as far as computers, Alienware is the only one I know of that has support only in the US. They're based out of Miami and that's where their support is. The vast majority of the technicians I spoke with are either Puerto Rican or Cuban, so you're still going to get an accent, but they're full blooded, legal US citizens

Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 PM

22 posts, read 34,865 times
Quote:
How I feel about America. The words sound negative, and I must say I don't feel very good about our country, or it's leadership at this point in my life of nearly 40 years. At one time I thought this country was a 'Great Nation'. It has been slowly eroding in my opinion. Until the American people stand up and FIRE our Government and get a whole new group of people in, we can only slide further into a dictatorship.

Things I feel are destroying this country from within:

Poor leadership which is lead from behind the scenes by big money corporations. We no longer have a President, House or Senate. Our government is a puppet whose strings are pulled by big business and no longer listens to what the PEOPLE of this nation want. They hear what we want, and IGNORE us.

Outsourcing of American Jobs: There are men and women in this country who once had good paying jobs and now are on unemployment and losing everything they have because some company decided it would be cheaper to shut down their plant here in this country and give some foreigner a job doing the same thing for pennies on the dollar. I had mailed the President and Mr. Kerry before their election and told them that this should be made ILLEGAL, but of course it fell on deaf ears. American companies should only be able to hire and pay American CITIZENS.

Illegal Immigrants: All Illegal Aliens should be deported immediately, without delay. There should be no 'Green Card'. If you want to be here, apply to come here and learn English and become an American Citizen and contributing member of society. Those not learning English within 2 years should be deported back to their maiden country for non-compliance. There should be no government aid for immigrants. As well, there are illegal immigrants working in jobs in this country which formerly employed American Citizens, but for MUCH LOWER WAGES. Companies found that by employing cheap illegal labor, they could cut their costs and now American Citizens who refuse to work for such low wages, are now out of work.

Affirmative action should be abolished. Affirmative action is a farce which gives minorities an unfair advantage over people of white race in the job market and educational arena. To remove racist tendencies of employers or admissions officials at institutions of higher learning there should be no physical description of candidates for the position. No 'in person' or telephone interviews. All interviews should be done on paper or computer to eliminate favoritism. Organizations which are themselves racist under the guise of 'promoting a better life for minorities' such as the NAACP, United Negro College fund and other such entities should be abolished.

If I were President, I'd probably be shot by the CIA for trying to straighten out this country. The reality is that the PEOPLE need to straighten out this country.
Someone one said."Anyone could grow up and be president of the united states." Once a childhood dream,is no more.It takes money,power,lies to even be able to run for office.What an elective offical does in 4 years,takes twice as long to correct it( if possiable).

Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,847,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Pogo said it well, "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Since you are a far left wing democrat, your statement is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies