U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,545,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Most of these women are not objectified. Objectification, IMO, only comes when you perform a degrading act against your will! Strip clubs, brothels, and back rooms are places that are appropriate to willfully let loose because they are meant for those types of acts.

A university is a place for education and betterment. There is nothing educational about a woman of the night coming in and shoving things in her orifices in a classroom teeming with people.
Well, commodifying sex for crass gratification to me is far lower on my scale than using it for educational purposes. That's just my opinion, though - it is what it is. This is a class on human sexuality. I'm not sure what else you would have them learn than human sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,386,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Considering that many of the students didn't attend the demo, and they were repeatedly told that it had no bearing on their grade and that it was explicit - no, I don't think that the disparity in power had anything to do with it. Making an offer for a deeper understanding of the subject at hand is completely different than requiring it as a part of the curriculum.
I don't think the law would uphold that "offer" by someone in a position of power as not sexual harassment (despite the "claims" that it had no bearing on any grade, performance evaluation, etc.) In any case, as I said in an earlier post, the idea that a LIVE performance was necessary for a "deeper" understanding is ridiculous for university level students perfectly capable of reading. And it certainly didn't belong on campus, using University facilities. If he wanted to give the students an opportunity for additional "learning," give them a list of resources. Even that should probably restricted to a student at the Doctoral level, which by the 500 students in the class size sounds more like a intro. course.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 PM

10,953 posts, read 7,736,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, commodifying sex for crass gratification to me is far lower on my scale than using it for educational purposes. That's just my opinion, though - it is what it is. This is a class on human sexuality. I'm not sure what else you would have them learn than human sexuality.
Do you really think that these young adults needed a live sex act to be educated about where it feels good to be touched? Seriously?!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM

10,953 posts, read 7,736,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

"The demonstration was relevant to a topic relevant to my course, it occurred after class in a completely voluntary setting with ample information about what would occur. It involved an act that although unusual, had no harmful effect on anyone . . . Those who believe that there was, in fact, a serious problem have had considerable opportunity to explain why: in the numerous media stories on the controversy, or in their various correspondences with me. But they have failed to do so. Saying that the demonstration "crossed the line," "went too far," "was inappropriate," or "was troubling" convey disapproval but do not illuminate reasoning. If I were grading the arguments I have seen against what occurred, most would earn an "F." Offense and anger are not arguments. But I remain open to hearing and reading good arguments."
The Daily Northwestern (http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/mobile/campus/prof-bailey-apologizes-for-damaging-nu-s-reputation-with-optional-sex-toy-demonstration-1.2505786 - broken link)

Don't hold your breath, Dr. Bailey.
This arrogant ass deserves to be fired for the above statement alone.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,311,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
This arrogant ass deserves to be fired for the above statement alone.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM

8,259 posts, read 7,179,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What about OPTIONAL and AFTER CLASS do you not understand exactly....
Students were not required to attend the OPTIONAL, AFTER CLASS lecture and the material was not covered in exams, per Dr. Bailey's statement. Hence, students' academic performance was not at all tied to whether or not they participated in the viewing of the demonstration during the OPTIONAL, AFTER CLASS lecture.
Here's the issue: This was done ON campus. Why didn't he take it off campus?

Did the professor or teacher CLEAR it with the head of his department first?

Did the professor/teacher pay for the show out of his own pocket?

What was the intention? Where's the educational factor?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,059,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Campus Shock: College ‘Sexuality’ Professor Presents Live-Sex Show for Students | The Blaze

"A Northwestern University professor is under fire for reportedly holding an optional live-sex presentation on campus."

Any body have kids at this school? Are you paying for their tuition? Happy with their "instruction" by this esteemed professor? Wonder if the University received any Government Grant money for research related to this? I have heard of other college courses including one on wine tasting and one on a study of Lady GaGa, but I think this one takes the cake... Kids will do enough exploring, experimenting, partying on their own. Do we really need to be teaching it at Universities? Should we really even be needing to ask that question?
Can you READ the word OPTIONAL.....don't want to watch....don't go to the lecture...problem solved...move on! Some folks are just obsessed with sex...every thread.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,386,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Can you READ the word OPTIONAL.....don't want to watch....don't go to the lecture...problem solved...move on!
Can you READ the thread. Lots of arguments here. Read them.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM

8,259 posts, read 7,179,892 times
[quote=helenejen;18150958]

"The demonstration was relevant to a topic relevant to my course, it occurred after class in a completely voluntary setting with ample information about what would occur. It involved an act that although unusual, had no harmful effect on anyone . . . Those who believe that there was, in fact, a serious problem have had considerable opportunity to explain why: in the numerous media stories on the controversy, or in their various correspondences with me. But they have failed to do so. Saying that the demonstration "crossed the line," "went too far," "was inappropriate," or "was troubling" convey disapproval but do not illuminate reasoning. If I were grading the arguments I have seen against what occurred, most would earn an "F." Offense and anger are not arguments. But I remain open to hearing and reading good arguments."

His argument is MORE than weak. And his syllabus should be looked into if he covers "masturbating with sex toys" for more than the paragraph in any "Human Sexuality" class, that it usually is.

Sound like he's a freak and wants to share his "freak".

He wants reasoning? Where is his reasoning? "Relevant to a topic in my class" is not "reasoning", it's a defense/excuse and doesn't cut it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,545,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you really think that these young adults needed a live sex act to be educated about where it feels good to be touched? Seriously?!
I didn't say they needed it and I wouldn't use that tactic. I also wouldn't take this class because I have no interest in working as a sex therapist or in relationship psychology. But, dealing with sexual issues is a big part of psychology and people are taking it to prepare for their careers, presumably. It was, after all, optional, as has been pointed out ad nauseam on here. By your logic, there's no point in learning anything about human sexuality in a human sexuality class since everybody allegedly knows everything there is to know. I still don't know what the saw contraption is, so obviously there's something to learn!

If the professor deemed it valuable and the students voluntarily participated without any penalty for not, I don't understand why you want government (in this case, the university administration) to intervene. I guess I'm just a conservative who believes in free will and personal responsibility. We're a rare breed these days with all the big government nanny state culture encroaching on all sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies