U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM

11,005 posts, read 7,787,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wasn't old enough to buy beer when I attended my first sex show either. I recall that I enjoyed both. We need a lot less prudishness in this society.
"Dont be so prudish!". Well, I'll bet that reprimand from Northwestern's chancellor would go over well with the university's many wealthy benefactors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 AM

8,181 posts, read 9,411,181 times
What a disgusting, offensive and lude display of human sexuality. In other words, my kind of thing! I fail to see what the outrage is about. These were all adults who consented to be there. Big deal. It's a private institution. If they want to have an entire course on this stuff have at it. God forbid people learning that people have sex and/or pleasure themselves with powertools. Oh the horror. The US has such backwards attitudes about sex. Good to see that those attitudes are being educated away.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,284,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What a disgusting, offensive and lude display of human sexuality. In other words, my kind of thing! I fail to see what the outrage is about. These were all adults who consented to be there. Big deal. It's a private institution. If they want to have an entire course on this stuff have at it. God forbid people learning that people have sex and/or pleasure themselves with powertools. Oh the horror. The US has such backwards attitudes about sex. Good to see that those attitudes are being educated away.
I couldn't agree more! They were all consenting adults, and it was optional, period.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,231,621 times
Adults + optional = fine with me! No one was forced to attend, it's a class on sexuality and the attendees are grown ups. Who cares??

Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM

11,005 posts, read 7,787,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Oh well then, why didn't the professor just pull out his fully erect penis and start ejaculating in front of the class. I mean, the students were warned something like that might happen, right?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,323,222 times
The class itself doesn't really bother me. We are prudish when it comes to these issues in this country. The outrageous part is the fact that such a wonderful institution of learning could be so stupid in their judgement. How in the world could they not expect a large backlash?

It's as if Governor Walker is Northwestern's president.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,335,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Oh well then, why didn't the professor just pull out his fully erect penis and start ejaculating in front of the class. I mean, the students were warned something like that might happen, right?
That would be sexual harassment. You honestly don't get the difference between the situation you describe and what actually took place?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,577,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Campus Shock: College ‘Sexuality’ Professor Presents Live-Sex Show for Students | The Blaze

"A Northwestern University professor is under fire for reportedly holding an optional live-sex presentation on campus."

Any body have kids at this school? Are you paying for their tuition? Happy with their "instruction" by this esteemed professor? Wonder if the University received any Government Grant money for research related to this? I have heard of other college courses including one on wine tasting. Do we really need to be teaching it at Universities? Should we really even be needing to ask that question?
I watched war films in high school classes - bodies getting shot up, killed, discarded. Also read books about war and murder for class. Slaughterhouse 5 is very standard reading. I'm not seeing the reason for a double standard.

I really don't understand why we have such an issue with sex in this country. To answer your question, a lot of those students are probably there on loans they will eventually pay back themselves, grants, scholarships, and their own income. They're also adults. Let's all grow up a little and get over this fear of human sexuality.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-05-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,403,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That would be sexual harassment. You honestly don't get the difference between the situation you describe and what actually took place?
What would that difference be? That he paid someone else to do it in front of the class?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,577,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph107 View Post
this incident goes to show how far off focus many universities have become.

in my opinion, educational institutions should be preparing young students to become productive members of society.

liberal professors seem to think the main purpose is to teach kids why they should be a liberal. the focus is why you should have an open mind and why traditional family structure should not be pursued

no wonder so many kids are coming out of college unemployed and useless to society.
Are the professor's political views known in this context? What relevance does one's views on tax structures have to the topic of a class on sexuality? Unless you feel that big government should interfere in the practices of a private institution simply because you don't like what it's doing?

We were just discussing on another thread how social conservatives rely on big government to force their will. Interesting to see it demonstrated so quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies