U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,996,705 times
Reputation: 982

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, he should strip the collective bargaining issue from the budget bill, pass it separately now while the Dems are hiding like the cowards they are, and let them come back to vote for the rest of the bill. Apparently, Walker is going to let the Dems continue to embarrass themselves until he feels the time is right to do exactly what the WI taxpayers gave him a mandate to do.
That's a fine idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
 
62,782 posts, read 28,088,570 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, b/c we'd be in this same spot down the road with unions demanding more and more for state workers. Why is that so difficult for everyone to comprehend?
They're concrete thinkers. You're asking them to consider an abstract concept. They're incapable of understanding it.

Fortunately, the taxpayers get it. They've seen their property tax bills increase year after year. That's why Walker has their support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,336,596 times
Reputation: 2892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
It should be illegal for them to skip out n a vote. Its their most important function. Derailing governmental process because they're going to lose should be at the very least cause for immediate termination but IMO criminal penalties would be more appropriate. Whats ridiculous is people support them.
Their most important function is to represent the people who voted for them. In this case, a clear majority of their constituency supports them and they are doing the right thing by standing their ground. It IS less than ideal and it is somewhat counterproductive, I'll admit that, but it can be real effective. I also suspect that if the issue was something you adamantly supported, the vehemence of your complaint would be greatly diminished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,996,705 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Their most important function is to represent the people who voted for them. In this case, a clear majority of their constituency supports them and they are doing the right thing by standing their ground. It IS less than ideal, I'll admit that. I also suspect that if the issue was something you adamantly supported, the vehemence of your complaint would be greatly diminished.
Your argument can very well work against you.

Here's the thing...Walker had lots of people vote for him as well, as did the Republican state senators. The Dems might be doing what their specific constituency wants, but the will of the people of WI is to do what the Republicans want, since they are the ones with the overall majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
 
26,879 posts, read 15,114,205 times
Reputation: 12638
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Their most important function is to represent the people who voted for them. In this case, a clear majority of their constituency supports them and they are doing the right thing by standing their ground. It IS less than ideal, I'll admit that. I also suspect that if the issue was something you adamantly supported, the vehemence of your complaint would be greatly diminished.
Not that it makes it ok, but can you support this with fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,996,705 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're concrete thinkers. You're asking them to consider an abstract concept. They're incapable of understanding it.

Fortunately, the taxpayers get it. They've seen their property tax bills increase year after year. That's why Walker has their support.
Yep. If I had been here to vote for this election, I would have voted for Walker. I heard about his ideals long before we moved. What I don't understand is the people who sit and complain about taxes being high and then say that taxes should go up to pay for these union people. The catch is, they always want to raise the taxes in the counties that currently don't have astronomically high taxes. Typical liberal fashion to raise taxes on everyone but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,003 posts, read 22,024,036 times
Reputation: 6563
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I saw an interview with one of the Dems earlier today and he admitted they do not have plans to come back but that they do realize they are almost guaranteed to be on the losing side of the vote when they do. They fully realize what they are doing, they concede they will lose but they are opting to stay away. That is irresponsible and bad politics.
Yeah, them & that Abraham Lincoln dude (who did more or less the same thing for almost the exact same reason) are pretty bad eh?


Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,465,149 times
Reputation: 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
It should be illegal for them to skip out n a vote. Its their most important function. Derailing governmental process because they're going to lose should be at the very least cause for immediate termination but IMO criminal penalties would be more appropriate. Whats ridiculous is people support them.
Rosa Parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should've just played along. Go with the status quo.

But, seriously, we pay them/elect them to work out the issues, not run from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
 
26,879 posts, read 15,114,205 times
Reputation: 12638
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, them & that Abraham Lincoln dude (who did more or less the same thing for almost the exact same reason) are pretty bad eh?


Ken
Is it presumed because Lincoln did something, it was correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
 
4,383 posts, read 8,721,571 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Doesn't specify but:

You could make an argument for the last reason.
You can't be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top