U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,572,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you read past the part where I talked about party? If so why do you avoid mentioning any of it. For instance, Harry Truman is my favorite President of them all and I was with him all the way in Korea until he fired MacArthur for wanting to finish off the North Koreans in China. Holding back was the kind of mistake that Hitler made when he waited to invade Russia in order to solidify the position of the Italians in Albania. Sometimes you win and lose by not doing what was right at the time. Truman let the UN and some people at home influence him too much.

Did I point out what party Eisenhower was elected from? He had voted Democrat all his life and they asked him to run for President first but he turned them down and became a Republican. I was a left leaning Democrat back in those days. In fact, I refused to vote for Eisenhower the first time I got to vote at age 21.

Mine is a checkered history as far as party is concerned but I am not in any way close to supporting progressives so I must be against the Democrats of today because they are the party that the progressives have come to control.

Do you really know quite a bit about the 50s and 60s in this country? I think I might since I was in the active thinking 20s and 30s of my life then. I wasn't very politically involved so I really think that I know more of the history of the period and less of the political crap that every age has.

no, i didn't read past that. i didn't read past the part where you bring up that bloodthirsty, egomaniac, truman, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:37 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,159,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good you admit you were wrong in your statement. Too bad you had to add an insult along the way.
As for the McArthur I am gald he was sacked he refused to listen to his Commaner, Truman, and he would have gotten us into WWIII if he had not been removed. McArthur was all about McArthur and the country came second.
You last statement I actually agree with, they knew it was coming and did nothing on purpose so they could enter the war, which we should have already entered.
Casper
See we have much agreement when politics isn't the subject.

I don't think that the Chinese proved that they would have taken part in a third World War with their lack of weapons for their troops. They did come back with the Koreans when they returned so I guess that really makes MacArthur right as they proved the UN was wrong, even then.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
as rand paul said in a recent inteview, he wouldn't vote for a war that he wasn't prepared to fight himself or send his kids to go fight. i would've moved country if my kids were drafted for vietnam and/or korea. i will never allow them to join the military of their own accord, so that would exclude iraq and afghanistan. it is an entirely different case if i saw that losing the war would be a threat to their freedom. in that case i would gladly go with them. i don't mean to be disrespectful to members of the armed forces, but i find the methods used to recruit new soldiers to be disgraceful. part of this recruiting method is for the powers that be to glorify soldiers of all stripes and to suggest that our wars of aggression are neccessary to protect our freedom.
I get a real kick out of those "wars of aggression" and the word "freedom" that progs always use with them. I am sure that you have a good reason to not accept the fact that we are really in a war with Islam right now and will never see it end until they either drive our forces out of countries or take over "peacefully" in our own country and cause the troops to be returned. I am sure that you don't believe that they really intend to use the rights we guarantee them in this country to take over one day. How do you feel about the words that some of their imams speak when discussing things like that? How much do you actually know about what the Muslim Brotherhood in the West intends for us, in the end? We will either defend ourselves or we will be dhimmis before we die.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
no, i didn't read past that. i didn't read past the part where you bring up that bloodthirsty, egomaniac, truman, either.
It was obvious that you used that prog method since I don't think you are stupid enough to not be able to discuss what else I said. See, I just disagree with you, I don't find you one of the many stupid progs.

I see that you think that Truman made a mistake when he dropped those two bombs, the whole nuclear arsenal at the time. I have always thought of him as kind of a hero for that because he took some lives to save millions of both Japanese and Americans. Oh yes, they intended to fight to the very end if we invaded and that was going to happen. The man warned them that it was time to stop because he had a weapon they could never imagine and would use it and when pushed into doing so, did.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,632,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Great!! I couldn't be happier. And if Bush promises to go over there and never come back, i'll pay for his fare. I'll even buy a first class ticket for him.
Is Bush bothering you? Is his dog barking to loudly? Limo headlights keeping you awake?
Blowing smoke in here does no good, why don't you write George and really let him know what you think. I'm sure your opinion will make him rethink his entire life... While he is contemplating how to change his life, why don't you get one...??

Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I get a real kick out of those "wars of aggression" and the word "freedom" that progs always use with them. I am sure that you have a good reason to not accept the fact that we are really in a war with Islam right now and will never see it end until they either drive our forces out of countries or take over "peacefully" in our own country and cause the troops to be returned. I am sure that you don't believe that they really intend to use the rights we guarantee them in this country to take over one day. How do you feel about the words that some of their imams speak when discussing things like that? How much do you actually know about what the Muslim Brotherhood in the West intends for us, in the end? We will either defend ourselves or we will be dhimmis before we die.
i used to worry about that kind of nonsense, especially when i saw some youtube videos where they played out the scenario ie the one where they have a population explosion and we are the minority. thankfully i have come to my senses.

there is no difference between the murderous qoran and the bible. in leviticus they also talk about stoning women who have premarital sex and killing adulterers and gays etc. when i look at christians, by and large very few of them really believe this. muslims aren't really any different, they're just a few years behind. i can assure you that had afghan not been invaded by us, the taliban's strict regime would be coming to an end about now. likewise, if we don't interfere with egypt and they elect extremists, that will end too.

if you ever speak to older muslims you'll often hear them bemoaning the westernization of their kids. the more they watch tv, travel, party, and work in western dominated vocations, the more western they become. yes there are exceptions to that but they are shortlived. islam is just a rallying point. they hate having an imperialist power interfering in the affairs.

if the scenario comes to pass that the muslims outnumber us and force us to live under sharia law, at least i will never again have to listen to rachel maddow again. seriously though, it's not going to happen. in europe for instance, nobody really believes there's a god, in 50 years, nobody will believe in allah there either.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Is Bush bothering you? Is his dog barking to loudly? Limo headlights keeping you awake?
Blowing smoke in here does no good, why don't you write George and really let him know what you think. I'm sure your opinion will make him rethink his entire life... While he is contemplating how to change his life, why don't you get one...??

way to add to the discussion.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM

11,128 posts, read 12,402,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I kind of see an epic FAIL on your part.

For what "war crimes" is George H. Bush accused of?
Ask the folks in Europe, I could care less, because I'm with the Libyans on this one, I WANT to send George Bush to Libya to lead the charge and save the people. I can think of no finer place for ole Georgie boy than the sands of Libya fighting for freedom and democracy.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,794,567 times
Quote:
I feel the very same way you say you do but I served in the early years of the Cold War, middle 50s, and there was nothing going since Korea had finished.

Don't support these anti-war progressives, though, because I am sure that you don't really agree with them. I do see that you weren't in the group that were so mistreated by lefties coming back from Vietnam. What part of the world did you see at the expense of our taxpayers? I was in Bavaria and Italy for 24 months but I paid for all the travel I got in other than going through the Alps to get to Italy. It was actually an enjoyable experience since I didn't have to fight.
Oh yea..i do agree with them. I'm an anti-war progressive. I was a liberal progressive WHILE i was on active duty. This isn't something that i just came upon. And no, i wasn't in Vietnam....too young. What part of the world? Italy first, then Georgia (unfortunately), then Germany. But while i was in Europe, i visited every country in Western Europe and a good bit of the former East Bloc nations. And like you, i paid for my travel too, courtesy of the taxpayers that paid my salary.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM

29,807 posts, read 12,499,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
The Libyan opposition is calling out for George H. Bush to come to their rescue Reuters (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110303/wl_nm/us_libya_protests - broken link) reported.

I guess they know better than to think there's any chance of getting help from the "Procrastinator-in-Chief" Obama.
Seems like he would be the obvious choice to invade Libya based on his track record don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies