U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM

5,776 posts, read 6,679,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Hmm.....it also clearly says while on breaks and lunch (ie - while on personal time) - that's NOT "in the workplace during the course of business"
True. But it ALSO says blanket English only IS covering "in the workplace during the course of business".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,892,059 times
I think it is a form of discrimination and Sears should be sued over this because it is violating one's civil rights. It's one thing to mandate that employees speak English with customers or that business and policies be conducted in English but if two friends want to speak pig Latin among themselves, that's their business. If customers are offended because two people are speaking a language other than English among themselves, then those people are royally screwed up and need to get their lifes' priorities in order. Seriously, there are more important things in life to be concerned with than what language two people speak among themselves. If they spoke pig Latin to you or about issues that pertained to you, you have a right to be offended, if they are discussing what they had for dinner last night in pig Latin, then that is none of your business.

Now before someone casts me as a liberal, you should know I'm a conservative that endorses strong illegal immigration reform and border security. However, Sears' policy is asinine and you don't have to be a member of a political party or ideology to recognize that.

With regard to the idea that people can insult others in Spanish or another foreign language, people can do that in English too. People in these positions constantly have inside jokes and nicknames when referring to people. It doesn't change anything if they speak English. For crying out loud, if that is the reason that English is being mandated, that is a pretty weak reason.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,494,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
This is AMERICA we speak English here.
SEARS just got all my business
Actually this is only a small part of AMERICA. AMERICA consists of two continents, North and South. North America consists of Canada, The USA, Mexcio, Central America, and the Caribbean.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 5,166,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Really? You read it? I don't think so. The decision from the court reads:
seems you didn't read it for comprehension...

Quote:
The law says unless it's IMPERATIVE to business necessity, a blanket English only rule is discriminative.

EEOC REACHES LANDMARK 'ENGLISH-ONLY' SETTLEMENT; CHICAGO MANUFACTURER TO PAY OVER $190,000 TO HISPANIC WORKERS

Please read again, so that you'll have the correct information next time.
wow fail on your part. did you even read the entire decision?

The key statement in your link:

Quote:
"It is imperative for employers to be aware that blanket English-only policies, those requiring workers to speak English at all times with no exceptions, may be unlawful if they are not clearly justified by business necessity."
As I STATED and what has been reported:

SEARS is NOT allowing its employees to speak a different language WHILE doing business (that means interaction with CUSTOMERS or within Customer's ear shot) - they ARE FREE To speak whatever language to each other, ANY OTHER TIME in their course of work. I've listed the areas of what can be found in a normal SEARS store, where language wouldn't be a problem (Store room, stocking, back room, lunch rooms/break rooms, repair shops, catalog) - where Customer interaction is close to 0.

What part of this DO YOU not understand?

Your case that you linked, was bout a BUSINESS that went 100% English. Meaning that AT NO TIME could the employees speak a different language.

Apples and oranges dude.

Oh dang and look at that "clearly justified by business necessity" - that is the "escape" clause in the entire decision. If English ONLY is a necessity of business, then a business can dictate for having it English Only.

Like Airline Pilots - You have to know English in order to qualify for as a pilot.

Last edited by Arus; 03-06-2011 at 11:46 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,194,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are plenty of white people in the U.S. who don't speak English. I have Russian and Ukrainian friends who know about five words of English and otherwise speak Russian and Ukrainian. Some of them have been living in the U.S. as long as ten years. Are they white? Yes. Do they speak English? No. Are some of them maids or in other service positions? Yes. It is indeed possible for white people to be working class, living in the U.S., white, and to be speakers of a language other than English. I don't necessarily advocate living in the U.S. or any country that long without learning the language, but it does happen and is indeed possible.
My Grandma was from the Ukrain and her English was pretty bad. However, she never used it as a weapon again English speakers or made endless social demands. It has nothing to do with color but how language is used as a weapon in the workplace creating a hostile work environment.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they're speaking TO the customer, and English is the language the customer uses, then sure, they should speak English. But if they are not speaking to the customer, there's no need to speak English.

If they want to do that, then take it to the back where I can't hear them.

What if they were talking about me? I dont know what they are saying, and I find it rude.

Quote:
I've ordered Chinese food and not understood a single word said until the lady said "Have a nice day."
Why I don't frequent chinese restaurants or only order delivery.

Quote:
And you know, if they're speaking ABOUT a customer, then it's really none of anyone else's business. Guess what? We talk about you too, we just do it behind your backs.
Nice to see that you rather lose a customer than earn the business.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it is a form of discrimination and Sears should be sued over this because it is violating one's civil rights.
Its not discrimination and no ones civil rights are being violated.

If you don't like the rules for working at the company, guess what? YOU can quit.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,494,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Its not discrimination and no ones civil rights are being violated.

If you don't like the rules for working at the company, guess what? YOU can quit.
Does this apply to companies that hire unions?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,978,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it is a form of discrimination and Sears should be sued over this because it is violating one's civil rights. It's one thing to mandate that employees speak English with customers or that business and policies be conducted in English but if two friends want to speak pig Latin among themselves, that's their business. If customers are offended because two people are speaking a language other than English among themselves, then those people are royally screwed up and need to get their lifes' priorities in order. Seriously, there are more important things in life to be concerned with than what language two people speak among themselves. If they spoke pig Latin to you or about issues that pertained to you, you have a right to be offended, if they are discussing what they had for dinner last night in pig Latin, then that is none of your business.

Now before someone casts me as a liberal, you should know I'm a conservative that endorses strong illegal immigration reform and border security. However, Sears' policy is asinine and you don't have to be a member of a political party or ideology to recognize that.

With regard to the idea that people can insult others in Spanish or another foreign language, people can do that in English too. People in these positions constantly have inside jokes and nicknames when referring to people. It doesn't change anything if they speak English. For crying out loud, if that is the reason that English is being mandated, that is a pretty weak reason.
Did you even read the article from the link in the OP? These employees were in a TRAINING session.............and I think the trainer had a perfectly legitimate right to ask them to refrain from speaking in any other language than English while being trained..........

eta: just FTR, I think the whole tone of the OP was pretty much trolling with faux indignation over something that was never stated.

Last edited by Opyelie; 03-07-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Does this apply to companies that hire unions?
That is between the Unions and the company that hires their employees.

I for one will never hire a union based employee if they don't speak English at the equivalency of an 8th grader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies