Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I don't quite think you understand. It's not just about speaking in another language and people being 'offended' because they don't understand them. It's about the workplace (and school). You know you can't say certain things at work due to possibly being fired, or whatever. So, why is it possibly OK for someone to say them in a language we don't understand? Like I said before, it seems like it's only offensive if it's english.

If we were totally 100% allowed to say whatever we felt like.. then sure, this wouldn't be a problem. But since when we are at places like school and work, we do have our speech altered to abide by rules.
I curse in English at work, and nothing's ever been said. Guess they know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Especially the kind of people I know who have no problem with Russian or French or German but have a huge problem with Spanish, Swahili, Arabic, etc. That to me seems like it's racism disguised in the excuse of "we speak English here."

Don't you think that maybe ( just maybe ) the fact that most illegal aliens in this country speak Spanish and most of them have a sense of entitlement has something to do with it? I am sure if we had to press 2 for Chinese, the same people who don't like the Spanish language being spoken would also have a problem with that language.

At work I would always have people come up to me asking me "Speak Spanish" and I'd say "No" and they would give me the death stare and go up to someone else who did. I had a lady actually get mad because I could not communicate with her. I never had anyone ask me if spoke Russian or Chinese or Swahili...and I had customers from all around the world.

That's what I mean when talking about the sense of entitlement... "You better learn my language....or else!". It annoyed the cr*p out of me. Learn the d*am language because I am sick of the catering. Wanna call it racism, go for it.

If the French or the Germans were doing the same thing over and over again, I'd be livid. It's not racism. It's just being fed up.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 05-04-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 06:47 AM

36,518 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Especially the kind of people I know who have no problem with Russian or French or German but have a huge problem with Spanish, Swahili, Arabic, etc. That to me seems like it's racism disguised in the excuse of "we speak English here."
Because Russian, French, Germans, Asian, and Indian people learn the language and dont refuse to speak English while demanding you speak their language. Of all these nationalities that I have known personally or have come in contact with it is only the Spanish speaking ones that refuse to speak English. Except for one very old Polish woman who could not understand English but then she was not about working or in school or doing business.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because Russian, French, Germans, Asian, and Indian people learn the language and dont refuse to speak English while demanding you speak their language. Of all these nationalities that I have known personally or have come in contact with it is only the Spanish speaking ones that refuse to speak English. Except for one very old Polish woman who could not understand English but then she was not about working or in school or doing business.
I know A LOT of Africans that speak ONLY French. Same with Koreans, Chinese, and Indians. You do realize that it's based on generation? The first generation is not likely to know English well. It's later generations that pick up the language. Spanish speakers follow the same pattern.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I know A LOT of Africans that speak ONLY French. Same with Koreans, Chinese, and Indians. You do realize that it's based on generation? The first generation is not likely to know English well. It's later generations that pick up the language. Spanish speakers follow the same pattern.
It's funny. The excuses start pouring in.

That is not the point the poster was trying to make.

It is a fact that Spanish is widely spoken. Yes, more than French and German and Korean. And it's also a fact that we don't press number 2 for any of those languages. It is also a fact that labels are printed in English and Spanish. Sometimes in French is the product is also distributed in Canada.

I have worked with Koreans Lithuanians, Romanians,, Egyptians, Russians, Somalians of all ages. They spoke English. Some not too well but they spoke it.

There is no catering to those. Do you realize that? I repeat, there is no catering. Go look at jobs online and tell me which language at least 80% of the jobs that require a bilingual candidate is looking for. Bilingual nowadays means English / Spanish.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM

328 posts, read 996,884 times
I highly doubt they are speaking spanish just to be rude. It is probably a lot easier for them to converse in their native tongue. If they have a question for a co-worker for example they may understand better if they ask the co-worker in spanish and get a reply in spanish.

It's kind of paranoid for people to that just because people are speaking another language that they are talking about them behind their back. It is most likely that it is just a lot more convenient to speak in your native tongue.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
I think every corporation and company should put this in place.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
haven't read the whole thread yet but, I will. Just want to say one thing..... YEEHAWWWW ! good for Sears !

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Some people will never understand the concept of common courtesy. Thier sense of entitlement and arrogance is overwhelming.

Years ago, at a large office I worked in, if the staff was engaging in private conversations during work hours, other than brief "good morning, how are you ?" types of things, we were told to take our personal conversations to break or lunch time.....we were supposed to be working. We accepted this rule with good grace. It imposed no hardship.... it was a good company to work for...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
It's funny. The excuses start pouring in.

That is not the point the poster was trying to make.

It is a fact that Spanish is widely spoken. Yes, more than French and German and Korean. And it's also a fact that we don't press number 2 for any of those languages. It is also a fact that labels are printed in English and Spanish. Sometimes in French is the product is also distributed in Canada.

I have worked with Koreans Lithuanians, Romanians,, Egyptians, Russians, Somalians of all ages. They spoke English. Some not too well but they spoke it.

There is no catering to those. Do you realize that? I repeat, there is no catering. Go look at jobs online and tell me which language at least 80% of the jobs that require a bilingual candidate is looking for. Bilingual nowadays means English / Spanish.
It's not an excuse. I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume that you were born in the US. See, I wasn't. I actually know immigrants pretty well and know what its like. My mom is from Cote d'Ivoire. We know a lot of first generation immigrants that don't speak English...but French.

Of course Spanish if more widely spoken...but you need to look at percentages, not sheer numbers to determine whether people are learning the language or not. Turns out, YES at similarly the same percentages as Koreans, etc.

Do you realize that in MANY communities in the nation there is "catering" to those. I repeat do you realize that. I didn't get a job because I didn't speak Russian or Armenian (in CALIFORNIA...working for the state). Look at school flyers in Orange County. Half the time it's in Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog and English.

I think that since Spanish is more pervasive in the US, people don't seem to notice other immigrants and assume that the 1 or 2 they do know is representative of the whole...when in fact, the percentages are roughly the same (when taking age, income, and educational attainment into consideration).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies