U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 AM

29,419 posts, read 17,983,254 times

Advertisements

If I moved to another country I would learn their language out of respect to their country. Also as a way to find my way around and communicate with folks. No here WE are expected to learn somebody's language who decides to come here or pay for interpreters and the like so THEY can communicate and get around. We print up government documents in all kinds of different languages that costs piles of money to do so. On and on and we pay for it all through taxation. It's complete nonsense. I haven't shopped at Sears for some time but will be perusing their wares this weekend. Somebody finally steps up against the insanity that is being pushed onto us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,365,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
In American people need to speak and read English.
What?

Quote:
I am sick hearing and seeing all that other crap as English should be forced to be used in America.
What?

Quote:
If people can read or speak OUR language then they need to learn it or leave.
What?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 AM

2,548 posts, read 1,802,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What?

What?

What?

CASA DE MI PADRE film clip - "do you speak American? (Censored) - YouTube

Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,504,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter
If you want to speak Spanish, speak it at HOME, or when you get a caller who speaks it, NOT when conversing with your co-workers
Stupid attitude!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,493,692 times
English is the pre dominant language of the US and most of the business world. However you have crazy Xenephobic Americans who hear another language ( in this case Spanish) and feel "threatened by it.
We went through this debacle in Miami in the 1970s when there a referendum to make "English" the official language of Miami and it failed!
Guess what? English is still spoken in Miami inspite of having the highest foreign born population of any major city in the country! Miami has 3 official languages now and that is English, Spanish & Creole and it reflects it's population. Isn't that what Government is supposed to do? Serve it's population?
I really don't get why so many Americans are scared of speaking another language like Spanish considering we have about half a billion people to the south of us whose language is Spanish.
Every time you utter these state's names you are speaking Spanish : Nevada, Colorada, Arizona, Florida, Texas (Tejas) , Montana , California, etc.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Stupid attitude!
No, it is your attitude that is stupid. Co-workers when on the clock should be speaking English. Even when off the clock (breaks and lunches) is it very devisive blabbing in a foreign language when those conserving know English. At least have the decency to go off in a private corner to hold your foreign language conversation.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I'm afraid that the laws pertain to the "provider" of the services. If you own a restaurant, you can not refuse to serve an Afro-American because his/her skin is dark. You must treat ALL RACE, COLOR, CREED. OR NATIONAL ORIGIN equally. Language is part of that treatment. It follows NATIONAL ORIGIN. Federal law. And, it's being violated.
If a patron of a business does not speak English (hopefully they are a tourist and not a citizen) and an worker interpreter can be provided that's fine but I object to workers on the clock conversing with each other in a foreign language when they know English. Why in the world would you bring up skin color? It has nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies