Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM

958 posts, read 1,099,318 times

Advertisements

This is AMERICA we speak English here.
SEARS just got all my business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,306,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
American's are the only country that claims to be a modern 1st level country that can barely speak ONE language.
"American's" are a country?

You need to brush up on your English skills yourself!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,423,336 times
This is discrimination pure and simple. Hopefully Sears ends up with a pricey lawsuit.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,065,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
This is AMERICA we speak English here.
SEARS just got all my business
This is AMERICA...we speak MULTIPLE languages here.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,249,310 times
its not discrimination at all. You should actually read the law concerning employment. Not allowing someone to speak their native language while ON the business times (as a representative of that business) is in no way an issue of discrimination .

Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
"American's" are a country?

You need to brush up on your English skills yourself!
*American's are the **only people** in a country*

Some words left off in the editing. But glad to know that you're attention to the substance was not missed and by your position only the editing of a sentence before posting is the subject of your objection.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
its not discrimination at all. You should actually read the law concerning employment. Not allowing someone to speak their native language while ON the business times (as a representative of that business) is in no way an issue of discrimination .

I think you should read the law. I've posted the case law from the EEOC already several times within this thread.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,249,310 times
Quote:
I think you should read the law. I've posted the case law from the EEOC already several times within this thread.
I have read the law and the EEOC. None of it supports that its an act of discrimination if it applies across ALL people who speak ANY language.

If its not targeting a specific group of people, its not discrimination.

Sear's policy is applying to all employees (spanish speaking, japanese speaking, russian speaking, whatever).

BTW, Sear's is not saying that their employees can't speak to customers in the language they understand. They are just not allowing their employees SPEAK different languages to each other, in the ear shot or in front of customers if it has nothing to do with business.

Back room, stock, repair area, outside of customer's ear shot, they can speak whatever language they want.

This is the policy that many businesses adopt.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,291,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Why do we favor accommodating Spanish speakers over KOREAN, FRENCH, GERMAN, OR CHINESE?
Spending power ... our country and the participating companies here have realized the money that could come from all the Spanish-speaking people here. I was watching a basketball game today from the NBA and the team jerseys said, "Los Bulls" and "Los Heat." I had to chuckle because I always LARGE if it were not for illegal immigration.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,291,842 times
Quote:
My maids are white. They can barely speak English themselves. My yard guys are Mexican. They can speak English, Spanish, Portuguese and two speak fluent french. I'm sure they could teach you a few things.

I and many others would consider them superior, not only to the fine young ladies who clean my house, but to my Mayor, my councilwoman, my police chief, and my President who can only speak one language as well.

Nice try at the bait...guess which group applies?
Your maids are "white" and they don't speak English? Wtf? What do you mean "white?" I think you are making this up to try to support what you are saying and to try to prove a point against the other poster. Especially with your "I'm sure they could teach you a few things," comment.

I think you are sitting behind a computer and making this stuff up. You probably don't even have maids, lol.

You're playing that whole role of trying to uplift "Mexicans" or other Spanish-speaking people while trying to make everyone else in this country appear like the bad guy or limited.

That is the role that people like yourself play. You also say, "Nice try at the bait ..." to that other poster, it shows that you recognize your own crafty ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies