U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,767,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Just won't ease up on that death grip you have on this false poll eh?
No--Frank Luntz (a radical right wing spin doctor) and the Media Research Center (another far right group) say the polls aren't valid because they used the term "employee" vs. "worker"--that when the term "worker" is used the polling numbers should go down. Just which do you think is a more accurate description of college educated nurses, teachers, firefighters, and police officers--employees or workers? That's insulting to the people who pick careers in public service, and you know it. My husband is an attorney who spent time working for state government--was he an "employee" or a "worker?"

I know the far right is trying to spin this into making it an "us against them" issue, but most people like the folks they know in those professions, and they value the job they do, and the sacrifices they make for our communities. Trying to downplay their value just ticks people off more--if they're trying to win a PR war with this by calling them "workers" (like they're being paid to pick peas or something) it's a loser strategy. That tells me the R's are desperate on this one.

I'm sure the far right is trying to spin this as hard as they can, because the truth is that the numbers aren't on their side and they know it. Even the Rasmussen poll kept phrasing questions with "state unions" and "public employee unions" in an attempt to make this a union issues vs. an issue of fairness for public employees, and the polling still didn't come out in their favor.

Sorry folks--you're not going to win this one. I keep saying it, but this is one issue where moderate R's and D's are pretty much in agreement. The far right wing only has around 30% of the vote, and it's showing on this one.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-04-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,323,222 times
There once was the GOP,
who relied on a poll or three,
when polls weren't in their favor,
and folks sided with labor,
they said, "This poll's a lie, can't you see?"

Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM

42,347 posts, read 50,061,174 times
Why do we care about polls and what people think anyway?
If the majority of people think it's a good idea to stab themselves in the eyeball and dance naked in a tub of salsa, that still doesn't make something a good idea (or a bad idea).
Given some of the crazy things the general population believes, I put no weight or credibility on what some poll says.
I am guessing those who like polls like the fact that the outcomes (real or faked) will cause many people to go along bc they want to be like everyone else.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:38 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There once was the GOP,
who relied on a poll or three,
when polls weren't in their favor,
and folks sided with labor,
they said, "This poll's a lie, can't you see?"
I wish I could give you 10x for this one, lol! Very clever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies