U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Its hurting us because of my wifes Job with Haliburton being Outsourced,having to drive 55 miles one way for School to retrain her.We have to have Full Size 4WD to get in and out of our place.We can't sell the place because of the Housing Market.

brushrunner
Those with long commutes will be most immediately impacted, but all of us will pay in higher costs for everything that depends on trucks to move them, like food, heating oil, etc. Electrical bills will go up with higher fuel costs. This is not a temporary blip in prices this time, and higher costs for basic living will stay with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 PM

19,271 posts, read 20,147,764 times
It`s over five bucks a gallon here near Osaka, and rising every day.

Luckily, everyone uses bicycles or walks. Or uses the trains and subways built decades ago. And you hardly ever see any fatties.

One other note: I had outpatient cryosurgery yesterday for actinic keratosis. Cost me 1100 yen total (About fifteen bucks). If I were back in the States, I`d still be filling out forms -- and I`d be getting mysterious little bills for a couple hundred for band-aids three years from now.

Gotta tighten up the SHIP, people. Smarter, faster, friendlier. Less oil, less reliance on nutballs for our fuel / more reliance on our bodies to get us where we`re going!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I have noticed many annoying SUVs trying to drive 55 mph in the fast lane trying to save gas....
Government is broke, and there is no money to pay for road repairs, so all of us will be driving a lot slower soon.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,470,760 times
Central bankers have now inflated commodity prices all around the world which is causing big problems. Things are speeding up now.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Government is broke, and there is no money to pay for road repairs, so all of us will be driving a lot slower soon.
More time for texting for the under-30 set. So it`s not all bad....

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,461,323 times
I have no choice but to absorb it, what else am I going to do, ride a bike or take mass transit? That's for commies!!

I do curse Obama while I'm at the pump, it makes me feel better.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Gotta tighten up the SHIP, people. Smarter, faster, friendlier. Less oil, less reliance on nutballs for our fuel / more reliance on our bodies to get us where we`re going!
People will begin trying to move in closer to work if they have long commutes (which doesn't bode well for suburban real estate). Urban transit systems need to be expanded wherever possible, and put in place where they don't exist presently. Many of us have already bought our last automobile and don't even know it. The changes that are coming (and are unstopable) will take most people completely by surprise, and it's not going to be pretty.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Good Lord, how poor are you? Of course, I recognize that most of the posters herein are on disability, hence their ability to post all day long during workdays.

I can absorb the prices ok. For one, I am old enough to recall 13 cents per gallon gas. I do not think that $4.00 is that much, when you consider that back in 1974 I was paying about a buck per gallon. Gas is still cheap and plentiful.

Second, I happen to own interest in gas wells (which are different from oil wells). I get, presently, about $300 per month from these gas wells.

However! All is not lost. Do more walking. I shall continue with my vacation (note: a vacation is time away from WORK, which many of you may not understand).
Get back to work;LOL

Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,461,323 times
Quote:
People will begin trying to move in closer to work if they have long commutes (which doesn't bode well for suburban real estate). Urban transit systems need to be expanded wherever possible, and put in place where they don't exist presently. Many of us have already bought our last automobile and don't even know it. The changes that are coming (and are unstopable) will take most people completely by surprise, and it's not going to be pretty.
Suburbs are already becoming ghettos. Been happening for 2 decades. Nothing new here.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Many of us have already bought our last automobile and don't even know it. The changes that are coming (and are unstopable) will take most people completely by surprise, and it's not going to be pretty.
I`m not so sure about that. We may end up benefitting more from the added physical fitness and exposure to nature (and the sight of slimmer, healtheir people) than we will suffer from inconvenience and a modest decline in discretionary spending money.

Fewer health problems, less pollution, more human contact, fresh air and sunshine daily: silver lining possibilities abound here...

Who knows? We may all become so fit that we can even outrun the muggers in blighted urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or