U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 AM

29,012 posts, read 19,121,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually the improvement in the UE rate over the last 3 months is the best 3 month change since 1983!!!!

Ken

Or since we last had a real president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 AM

29,012 posts, read 19,121,609 times
[quote=mohawkx;18141477]
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
406,000 is a quarter of one percent of the total workforce (154,000,000).

Congratulations?

"which is a LOT better than any 3 month period in the last 3 years or so"

Do you mean at any time since Democrats took over Congress in 2007?[/quote]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Does your arguement account for the balance sheet Bush turned over to Obama in Jan. 2008?

Do you mean this one?

Gallup: February Unemployment Hits 10.3%-78.png

Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,125,781 times
Lightbulb My gosh!

The right wing negative spin on the better than expected Feb unemployment figures is almost enough to negate the Correolis Effect!

Quote:
O Wizened One, the BLS data is a telephone poll, which makes you sound quite silly and demonstrates you don't understand the process.

I would point out that because Clinton changed how unemployment was calculated in in 1994 to save his ass in the '96 Election, once someone gets discouraged and stops looking for work, or is forced to take a part time job because no full time jobs are available, they are no longer counted as unemployed.
Quote:
no.. try following the thread.. I was discussing inflation.. but now that you point out unemployment rate is dropping, we also said that.. we said for ages that the minute you extend the tax cuts, unemployment would drop.. The only reason it was rising is because companies are proactive and will lay people off BEFORE the tax cuts kick in, and when they are passed, they will fill vacancies..

Keep posting links validating I'm accurate.. My threads here are very public, you can go back a year and see that I said this exact same thing.. I've been VERY consistant on the matters..
Quote:
I think you really need to understand how that index is computed and what is and what is not included.

For example, in an extreme hypothetical, if ALL people polled were"discouraged" or "stopped looking" for work, the unemployment index would read 0%. Would you then say that everyone in this country was employed? On the other hand, if everyone polled indicated that they were actively looking for work and couldn't find it, the unemployment index would rate extremely high, skewing the interpretation to the other extreme.

And finally, how many times have the jobs numbers been "modified", "corrected", etc. 2-3 months down the road? I still do not know why people put stock in these numbers like this, in either direction (gains or losses).
Thank you for your negativity and hyperpartisanship, various economic "scholars"...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 AM

19,003 posts, read 22,021,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
haha.. you pretend that "NET" only applies to yearly and not monthly.. dont worry, I'm laughing again at you.. NET indeed can apply to MONTHLY statistics, which again was what we were discussing.. I even QUOTED the parts.. Heck I even said since the GOP took over Congress, which took place months ago.. why would you turn the topic over to "yearly".. You didnt.. you meant monthly, dont worry I know you did.. thats ok.. you made a mistake because clearly MONTHLY, there was no increase over the past year like you claimed..
Oh give me a break. It's OBVIOUS what I meant.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-05-2011 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal comments

Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Or since we last had a real president.
Good to know you don't think the 2 Bush's were "real" Presidents. I certainly agree with you about Bush 43.

Ken

Old 03-05-2011, 08:53 AM

19,556 posts, read 18,810,811 times
Quote:
Actually the improvement in the UE rate over the last 3 months is the best 3 month change since 1983!!!!

Ken
Due mainly to a revision,not an actual drop in the unemployed....

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

32,761 posts, read 17,819,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Still sore?

good news is bad

Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Revisions simply reflect that fact that NOT ALL THE DATA is in place when the initial report is released. As the remaining data comes in the numbers are changed to reflect the more complete picture.

Ken

Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,806,513 times
There are still people who want to believe the Repub efforts to stop job growth are working, when clearly they are not.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,840,354 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break. It's OBVIOUS what I meant
Not its not.. you changed the period of timeline being used and made claims that were false..

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-05-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies