Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?
The answer is simple: Because unions are bankrupting the country.

Quote:
The two top-paid garage attendants took home $94,000 and change, dramatically boosting their annual salaries of $55,000. The top 10 parking lot attendants —all members of Teamsters Local 25 — pulled a combined $262,000 in overtime.
That's a reasonable salary for a parking lot attendant as long as they're in a union, right???

http://bostonherald.com/news/politic...ay_at_massport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The answer is simple: Because unions are bankrupting the country.

That's a reasonable salary for a parking lot attendant as long as they're in a union, right???

Parking attendants haul in OT pay at Massport - BostonHerald.com
What you call "overpaid" all progressives on this board call "a living wage".

Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
MILLIONS of American's DO work 60-80 hour weeks. I guess that's something the O'bots would know nothing about.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 AM

76 posts, read 143,395 times
I did until the LAYOFF!!! and so did millions of Americans.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think you answered your own question. Much of the gains made in employment is codified by law. Unions by and large have outlived their usefulness. They are only interested in enriching themselves and maintaining the status quo. No where is it more apparent than in education. We lead the world in education spending with dramatically inferior results. Yet the unions block any meaningful reform.
The first response and you nailed it on the head. Not sure why this debate had to go on for 20 pages. Unions served their purpose generations ago and today have become an impediment to efficiency and competitiveness.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM

465 posts, read 507,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I really don't know why people look at me with 2 heads when I say I work 70 hrs a week.

The problem I see working so many hrs....I get a bigger tax bill because it pushes me into a different tax bracket.
The goverment doesn't distinguish between someone making a certain amt with 2 jobs vs 1.
They should at least reduce taxes for people working 2 jobs.

Can someone answer this for me....
I'm an hourly employee. Why can't I sign a waiver stating I will work 70 hrs for one job,and exempt myself from overtime pay?
Meaning,why can't I work 70 hours for straight pay? Why are there laws that require overtime pay for any hours over 40?
Because an employer could make you do that. I think if it could be shown you did it of your own freewill then yes you could. I've known employers make workers sign certain papers or you don't work there. Of course people don't work for them long if they can help it. Most people don't want to work more hours than they're paid for for example, this company was found out and straightened up which I'm glad for. I think you should be able to make decisions about your own life though and sign a waiver.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
40 hours a week is even too much.

we were not put on this earth do do nothing but work till we die.

yet man created this. man has created its on prison sentence.

20 hours would have been nice, but really 40, it is almost the whole entire week.

or even maybe a 4 day work week.

we are prisioners in our own beign, and man created this, not God.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
MILLIONS of American's DO work 60-80 hour weeks. I guess that's something the O'bots would know nothing about.

i have better things to do than work 60-80 hours a week.

working that much gives your life no balance at all.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Um, I *do* work 60-80 hours a week. And then in return for my hard work, the fringes of the left attempt to vilify me for making too much money because it's all in salary as opposed to union negotiated overtime and "not paying my fair share" while they put in next to no effort or contribute anything to the pot, day in and day out. You know, because "conceivably", I could make the same amount of money while working 1 hour a week in their twisted world.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i have better things to do than work 60-80 hours a week.

working that much gives your life no balance at all.
That's pretty much how i feel. Unless you're a business owner, working 60-80 hours a week is for a damn fool. I realize that some people might be forced into it, but anyone that would voluntarily work those hours is nuts. There is far more to life than clock punching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Um, I *do* work 60-80 hours a week. And then in return for my hard work, the fringes of the left attempt to vilify me for making too much money because it's all in salary as opposed to union negotiated overtime and "not paying my fair share" while they put in next to no effort or contribute anything to the pot, day in and day out. You know, because "conceivably", I could make the same amount of money while working 1 hour a week in their twisted world.
No one vilifies you for anything. Lay off of flattering yourself. If you're crazy enough to work yourself into the ground, i might laugh at you, but i damn sure wouldn't vilify you. If you need money bad enough to work 80 hours a week, then that's your problem. But no one really cares enough to vilify you over the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies