U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,626,491 times

Advertisements

I do work 60-80 hours a week. I run my business.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM

32,761 posts, read 17,827,398 times
Lightbulb Why don't Americans work 60-80 Hours Per Week?

According to Romney, it must be because we're lazy leeches. Leeches who weren't clever enough to be born into families of millionaires. And that echos the comments of Phil Gramm (R-TX) and other GOP economic geniuses; America would be so much better off if only millionaires lived here. All of us "little people" are such a bother.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 AM

25,397 posts, read 16,427,011 times
Quote:
Why don't Americans work 60-80 Hours Per Week?

Lets set the record straight...many still do. They are largely small business owners, executives, professionals and others with positions of resoponsibility.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM

8,814 posts, read 5,374,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The goal of the corporatists that have usurped power in this country is to return working conditions to pre depression levels in order to maximize their profits. They have managed to further that goal by sending investment and production to China and elsewhere that do not have any problems with unlimited work weeks, child or slave labor, killing people in coal mines, or any other of the abuses that make money.

WE not only need more powerful unions in this country we need to unionize the third world’s workforce. Until then we need to protect our domestic workers and industrial investors with countervailing tariffs set to eliminate the foreign advantages created by abusing their workforce. Without any price advantages even Wally World would have to buy American in order to sell American.
Brilliant post Greg. This is perhaps the most insightful take on the situation that I've seen. The ability of corporate manufacturing to circumvent union labor through offshore utilization of non-unionized slave labor represents a 2x strength poison pill, that has now put the entire US economic system in critical condition. And though Business likes to blame high taxes and labor unions for forcing them to move offshore, I'm of the firm belief that this offshore tactic would have been employed regardless of unions, simply because these slave labor operations are paying such low wages. I think manufacturing is blowing smoke when they cite these excuses ... since the cost savings for moving offshore are so huge, zero taxes and half-minimum wage labor rates still couldn't compete against those foreign operations.

But this is nothing new, really ... as they say, there is nothing new under the sun. Import-export laws and tariffs have existed for a very long time, and their sole purpose was to protect domestic production against the very things we see occurring right now. And this is not a result of incompetence. It's the proof that the United States congress has sold out the American people to the international corporate plutocracy.

Sadly, the situation we face today extends well beyond what labor unions can effectively address, since we are NEVER going to witness the organization of unions in each of these offshore slave operations. Those workers have no means at their disposal to organize. They are literally imprisoned. Consequently, much of the debate about labor unions in the US is nothing more than a distraction, and I'm not sure that even the reinstitution of import-export tariffs could rectify the damage at this stage.

The only solution possible at this stage will require either a worldwide revolution, or an unprecedented revelation. Either a cooperative agreement with the controlling plutocracy will manifest, or a bloodbath will ensue. I see no other outcome potential. Unfortunately, cooperation does not seem to be the path they're choosing. Sadly, this plutocracy is investing great effort and resources in consolidating their power under the guise of "globalization" and the "New World Order", which is in reality just the "Old World Order" consolidating their control well beyond anything achieved in the past.

What they obviously realize, while too few of the common people do at the moment, is that the natural progression of this current course will eventually lead to that mass population awakening. The only other option, aside from reversing course and engaging in mutual cooperation, is for them to preempt the impact of that awakening by population reduction. This is underway now, by means of stealth soft kill mechanisms, which is the only rational explanation for what can otherwise ONLY be viewed as outrageously self destructive policies taking form.

Those who respond with quips about "tin foil hats" are just the most damaged segment of the population that have been most affected by some of those soft kill components, like heavy metal poisoning, which severely impacts brain function.

If you have ever wondered to yourself how the world has become so "Orwellian", and why so many in the world seem to be thinking totally backwards, and completely missing the obvious .... you now have the answer.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM

3,065 posts, read 3,713,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

No one vilifies you for anything. Lay off of flattering yourself. If you're crazy enough to work yourself into the ground, i might laugh at you, but i damn sure wouldn't vilify you. If you need money bad enough to work 80 hours a week, then that's your problem. But no one really cares enough to vilify you over the issue.
Sure they do. I'm vilified for owning a small business and tempering its growth due to uncertainty of the future cost of doing business (yes, this is the fault of Democrats). And I'm damn sure vilified for the "normal" job I keep (above owned business, I pay others to run for me at this point) - every "Occupy" protest was nothing but an aggressive display of the bottom of society demanding that I be forced to give more of the fruits of my labor to them.

I could go to the Huffington Post right now and find no fewer than 20 current articles claiming that I need to be taxed more because I have the audacity to achieve more and how I'm responsible for these people failing to pay their mortgages, taking out more student loans than they need, or their inability to find a 70 grand a year job pushing a button. Because, you know, how dare I want to retire by 40 and actually enjoy a good chunk of my life without slaving to subsidize the recipient class.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,843,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Sure they do. I'm vilified for owning a small business and tempering its growth due to uncertainty of the future cost of doing business (yes, this is the fault of Democrats). And I'm damn sure vilified for the "normal" job I keep (above owned business, I pay others to run for me at this point) - every "Occupy" protest was nothing but an aggressive display of the bottom of society demanding that I be forced to give more of the fruits of my labor to them.

I could go to the Huffington Post right now and find no fewer than 20 current articles claiming that I need to be taxed more because I have the audacity to achieve more and how I'm responsible for these people failing to pay their mortgages, taking out more student loans than they need, or their inability to find a 70 grand a year job pushing a button. Because, you know, how dare I want to retire by 40 and actually enjoy a good chunk of my life without slaving to subsidize the recipient class.
You too, eh?

I need to find a site where there are real people. You know...ones where every single frickin' poster isn't a wealthy business owner. Geez.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

There is an underlying current which exists in your take on the situation, which screams "class warfare". And, a certain element of entitlement and superiority as well, which ought to anticipate a certain amount of resistance, since others are not immune to the lure of such clashing of classes either. Now, don't get me wrong .. I'm a free market proponent all the way. Yet, I also recognize that under the current structure, there is really no such thing existing at the moment. What we have is crony capitalism, under the disguise of free markets.

In my not so humble opinion, free markets must necessarily observe fast rules applicable to all, and not these current rules which promotes and protects market monopolies. In defense of the Occupy Wall Street crowd, they recognize something is wrong, they simply don't have a clue about what that something actually is ... which puts them in very good company, because the same can be said of the vast majority.

For capitalism to enjoy a free market environment, capital itself must be free of manipulation, because that's where the game begins. If source capital is controlled and manipulated by a few, free markets are dead out of the blocks. All outcomes ... all winners and losers can be controlled by those controlling the flow and price of capital, just as surely as farming could be controlled by those controlling water and sunshine. If you can direct the flow of water and all of the sunshine to your affiliated farming operations, while denying them to your competitors, me thinks you will be the only one with veggies for sale.

Unfortunately, there is an aspect of human nature that is all but universal, and particularly so with regard to those most driven and most likely to succeed ... and that is a healthy form of selfishness which seems to transmute into insatiable greed, and an overriding sense of entitlement in direct proportion to the level of success achieved. Money and power just seems to bring out the worst in people.

This allows the caring father and loving husband who owns a successful business to lay off a couple of dozen employees three days before Christmas, after the work has been completed, without a second thought about the impact to those workers who's efforts helped pay for that brand new Jaguar he gifted his 16 year old daughter on Christmas morning. He feels fully justified in his actions, because after all, it was his ingenuity and savvy business acumen that made all of that possible ... and those workers were fortunate to get what they got from him and his business.

As he and his family rejoice around the Christmas tree, those laid off workers and their families are now wondering how they will make the mortgage payment and keep from becoming homeless ... Merry Christmas.

So much for the "entitlement" mentality. It's only recognized in others .. and never recognized by those who equally suffer the disease themselves.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

17,056 posts, read 11,455,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?

I already do work 80 hours a week. And children SHOULD WORK. If they did, they would probably not be as lazy when they became adults.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I already do work 80 hours a week. And children SHOULD WORK. If they did, they would probably not be as lazy when they became adults.
The oligarchs basking in the warmth atop their Yacht's sundeck, provided by your selfless labor, thank you ever so sincerely for the Dom Perignon.

Cheers.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM

23,892 posts, read 16,143,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Should child labor start at six or seven years of age? And just how far back pre-labor laws do you think we should revert to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies