Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You progs really need to stop your fear mongering. The laws aren't going anywhere. You act as if the majority of companies in this country are unionized which they aren't. Union workers are the minority in this country and since you lefties believe so much in Democracy and mob rule, you lose this big time. Sorry about your bad luck.
You bring up an interesting point. Union membership in this country started declining in the mid to late 1970's with the de-industrialization of the Midwest. In the last 30 years middle class incomes have basically stagnated while incomes for the top 10% of income earners and in particular the top 1% have skyrocketed.

Ronald Reagan got the the majority of Americans to believe in "Trickle Down Economics". What he didn't tell them was that corporations and the super-wealthy were pissing on them and telling them it's raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
A union is effectivly a member owned corporation that rents it members to other corporations to perform work. I guess the buyers don't want to negoiate a price they think they have a right to set.

Them that has, gets. Then that has most, get all. Then that has the least, gets nothing. Ya gotta love an economy that works that way.

Solidarnosh! Make the bastards pay for our time and effort. They just want a corporate free lunch.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then you should tell me why the wages haven't moved for the average worker, while corporate profits have jumped significantly and the top earners have seen their incomes multiple.
I think I just did. Do market forces ring a bell??

Quote:
Remember, you were talking about something being strong... what was it again?
That would be workers rights. Please tell me how they have been erroded. Surely you don't suggest workers have a right to corporate profits?

Quote:
Outside of self-defeaters (ideological or just plain stupid people), I do not see any person or an association of persons not be out for their own enrichment.

Well exactly right. There is no reason for us to sacrifice our self interest for the enrichment of unions. Everyone should oppose the teachers union attempted extortion.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A union is effectivly a member owned corporation that rents it members to other corporations to perform work. I guess the buyers don't want to negoiate a price they think they have a right to set.

Them that has, gets. Then that has most, get all. Then that has the least, gets nothing. Ya gotta love an economy that works that way.

Solidarnosh! Make the bastards pay for out time and effort. They just want a corporate free lunch.
Speaking of a corporate free lunch the State of Ohio ABOLISHED CORPORATE INCOME TAXES. And they want to cut the estate taxes for the wealthiest people in the state.

Now they are whining they don't have enough money and they are attempting balance their budget on the backs of state and local public sector workers.

The Conservatives are always bitching about people not paying their taxes.

Where is their outrage?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Market forces where an average American is losing and corporations and the wealthiest winning is a sign that the workers are as strong as ever been?

And, I won't be holding my breath for that bell to ring.

Quote:
Well exactly right. There is no reason for us to sacrifice our self interest for the enrichment of unions. Everyone should oppose the teachers union attempted extortion.
Please go ahead and do whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect everybody to join you.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Market forces where an average American is losing and corporations and the wealthiest winning is a sign that the workers are as strong as ever been?

And, I won't be holding my breath for that bell to ring.
I am sure you won't since you won't tell me what wages have to do with workers rights.

Quote:
Please go ahead and do whatever floats your boat. Just don't expect everybody to join you.
Fortunately not everyone has to join me, just the majority!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I am sure you won't since you won't tell me what wages have to do with workers rights.
Yeah, wages themselves aren't a part of workers' rights.

Quote:
Fortunately not everyone has to join me, just the majority!
"But the king says: “Cuss the doctor! What do we k’yer for HIM? Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?”
- Mark Twain (The Huckleberry Finn)

Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?

some of us still do work that many hours.

But are the unions still needed to prevent that? I've never had a job that required me to work 80 hours a week, or that forced 9 year olds to work. But I've never worked in a union shop either. I wouldn't want a job where I was required to join the union.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
some of us still do work that many hours.

But are the unions still needed to prevent that? I've never had a job that required me to work 80 hours a week, or that forced 9 year olds to work. But I've never worked in a union shop either. I wouldn't want a job where I was required to join the union.
You may be able to thank FLSA for it.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:

Global market forces would be more accurate right?
Since were competing with other workers in other countries.

So tell me, why is CEO pay climbing exponentially actually and not dropping to normalize with what other CEO's are paid around the world?

It would have nothing to do with the fact that the board of members would be cutting their throats if they paid a CEO less than they get?

Looks like this free market crap is for the pleebs at the bottom while the top holds all the cards and the government in their pocket to boot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies