Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,742,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actually, they aren't. With the exception of wage and hour laws, workers have no right to any compensation other than what the market decides they are worth.
1- Define market

2- How does the market decide a worker's compensation versus a CEO's compensation?

3- Does a worker have any rights? Does the CEO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,204,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?
I'll be happy to set you straight.

It is for much the same reason you don't see a lot of buggy-whip dealers anymore, or kegs of whale oil for lamps. Simply-put, they have outlived their usefullness.

It isn't the 1930's anymore, and nobody needs to be concerned with the length of the workweek, or child labor anymore. as they are settled issues now.

However, the thugs that run and beneftit from unions don't want to lose the power and income stream, so they keep fighting against America.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,937,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Do tell. What is the normalized CEO rate?

Of course it is a free market. If you object to the CEO compensation of a given company don't invest in it or buy its goods or services.
A CEO is a job just like any other, and there are many other CEO's around the world that would be equally qualified. The question is, how do we get these qualified people into America to take these CEO jobs, just like we have worker visa's, outsourcing and off shoring operations to pay others less money for the same job.

Well, the answer is that the CEO's are not part of the worker free market since they are the market and call the shots, and dictate policies beneficial to them in our government.

Here is a paper discussing the US vs the rest of the world CEO pay and the causes for this.

This was as of 2005, so it has increased much more than this data.

http://www.cab.latech.edu/~mkroll/510_papers/fall_05/group6.pdf (broken link)

CEO Pay Rates
U.S. vs. Foreign Nations

Country Ratio of CEO pay to average worker pay

Japan 11:1
Germany 12:1
France 15:1
Italy 20:1
Canada 20:1
South Africa 21:1
Britain 22:1
Hong Kong 41:1
Mexico 47:1
Venezuela 50:1
United States 475:1

The question now becomes, in this global free market, how can we get those CEO's over here to do these jobs. Just think of the savings and how much more efficient it will be for the company if they reduce these CEO costs.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,147,945 times
Come on, America! Put your nose to the grindwheel!
Work harder, work faster, work longer!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,599,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
A CEO is a job just like any other, and there are many other CEO's around the world that would be equally qualified. The question is, how do we get these qualified people into America to take these CEO jobs, just like we have worker visa's, outsourcing and off shoring operations to pay others less money for the same job.

Well, the answer is that the CEO's are not part of the worker free market since they are the market and call the shots, and dictate policies beneficial to them in our government.

Here is a paper discussing the US vs the rest of the world CEO pay and the causes for this.

This was as of 2005, so it has increased much more than this data.

http://www.cab.latech.edu/~mkroll/510_papers/fall_05/group6.pdf (broken link)

CEO Pay Rates
U.S. vs. Foreign Nations

Country Ratio of CEO pay to average worker pay

Japan 11:1
Germany 12:1
France 15:1
Italy 20:1
Canada 20:1
South Africa 21:1
Britain 22:1
Hong Kong 41:1
Mexico 47:1
Venezuela 50:1
United States 475:1

The question now becomes, in this global free market, how can we get those CEO's over here to do these jobs. Just think of the savings and how much more efficient it will be for the company if they reduce these CEO costs.
Is cheap always as good or better?

Is it any of your business if G.E. wants to pay their CEO 475 x more than the factory worker?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,937,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

Is it any of your business if G.E. wants to pay their CEO 475 x more than the factory worker?
Yep, I'm making it my "business" in this global free market ideology espoused by many. It does not seem to be such a "free market" when the forces are not allowed to effect everyone equally.

We need to get a CEO visa program going to help the "free market" out.

The common idea's held by many in the free market, is that if someone in China can build a widget cheaper than, then you are being overpaid.

The same reasoning can be said about CEO pay. There are many qualified CEO's around the world that can direct a company in the same fashion for a lot less pay, so the majority of the ones in the US are being overpaid.

Add up all CEO pay in the US and imagine that now going into the pockets of consumers in the form of savings or better wages.

My point in all this, is that there is no "free market" and is a bunch of hogwash.
There are policies of control, where the mega corps and banks in bed with the government run the show to their own benefit screwing over everyone else as much as they can.

Last edited by J746NEW; 03-04-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What do you think? Depending on your response, I will provide you with example of it in the market.

Quote:
Are you in denial that an average CEO is not making several hundred times more than an average worker, a figure ridiculously high in the developed world?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Working 60 to 80 hours a week would turn me into a monster. I could barely handle working 30 hours a week. 60 to 80 hours a week would take almost beyond my limits. I believe more in the quality of work more than the amount of time put it. Yes, the more time you put in, the better your work might be, and the more money you make. With that said, if you are good at what you do and it only takes 40 hours a week to put in your BEST work, then its 40 QUALITY hours. I would rather put in 40 QUALITY hours than put in 80 fodder hours. If you have to work 60 to 80 hours a week to get by, then you do what you have to do. I understand. Me personally, if I can help it, I work my hours, and then I go enjoy my life.
Huh?????

Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What do you think? Depending on your response, I will provide you with example of it in the market.

Are you in denial that an average CEO is not making several hundred times more than an average worker, a figure ridiculously high in the developed world?
Are you aware that our Corporations run circles around everyone else?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Are you aware that our Corporations run circles around everyone else?
I do know they are into corrupting governments and interfering with political structure of other nations. East India Company and like were running circles around the globe at one point. They had nobility, passion for the people and their nations in mind, right?

Personally, I'm against running in circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies