Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
I am not dismissing history, Ghost old boy, I am just not LIVING IN IT.
In other words, you can't handle the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In other words, you can't handle the truth.
That was perhaps the stupidest thing I have ever read in a post, when compared to the post it was in response to. Absolutely stupidest thing!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?

Most people I know DO work 60-80 hours per week. (and some are union)

Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Silas - So now we are asked to be sympathetic to fools that don't know when to shut down a losing business?

Hardly Greg.......simply pointing out reality. Those who actually create things , produce and employ people and drive the economy...........rarely put in 40 hour weeks, that is a joke. By calling those people "fools in losing businesses" shows your ignorance.Every person I know in Business, and I know a lot of them, put in massive hours to get it started and become successful to the point where they could back off and let employees handle it. I wont spend the time to explain the nuances of the delicate balance of when there is enough work to hire another employee or continue to do the work with the existing ones by putting in more hours! Americans, "union workers"could take a lesson from a lot of the foreigners who come to this country and are willing to do what ever it takes and work however many jobs and hours they need to. to put themselves through school, start their own business and become successful...all the while not feeling like they are entitled or owed something by everyone else.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Huh?????
What do you mean by "huh" ??

Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?
Actually I have worked many a 60 or 70 hour work week, but I do get paid extra to do it. As for the others, just wait they will all come back if the Pawns have their way.
Casper

Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
And the cat in the cradle ...........

When ya coming home dad?

"I don't know when but we'll get together soon"

Hi son, I am home finally but too tired for you, I have to go to work again in 6 hours so maybe when I retire we'll get together............

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
I have to disagree that unions aren't useful today, though I can understand why some people might think that way. Laws don't allow for workers to make a decent living and have health insurance. At the factory where I used to worked, management tried hard to cut our pay down to damn near minimum wage and to take away health insurance benefits (along with some lesser stuff). We fought to get a union in and being unionized gave us a voice. No, we didn't get the sun and the moon in return for being unionized and we had to take some cutbacks, but we were able to retain most of what we had originally.

At my factory where my uncle works, it's not unionized. He's been there 23 years and only earns $10/hr (which is the top pay there). I worked there for a spell and it is back-breaking work at that shop. I don't understand why the workers don't band together there and get unionized. They're worried about having to pay union dues, but at least they'll have some job security. As it stands right now, the boss there has fired longtime employees because they complained. And the company doesn't care because there's always a ton of immigrants ready to work for minimum wage and no benefits.

Without the unions standing up for workers, I suspect that America would turn into a third-world country. Why should the bigwigs care about the little guy?
I suspect you are wrong. The market determines what your labor is worth. If your uncle is paid $10 per hour that is what his labor is worth, if his company pays less than the market thinks is fair, other companies will pay him more. Try paying a nurse $10 per hour and see how many applicants you get. Unions artificially inflate wages causing the cost of their products to be artificially high or the quality to be inferior. See the US auto industry.

Don't kid yourself, your union doesn't give a fig about you. What recourse do you have if you are unhappy with the uinion? Do you think they know you have no choice? I'll tellyou, they know.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
As soon as people are not forced to join unions in order to work in certain fields there is no freedom. There are very few right to work states.
One right to work state is too many.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Define market

2- How does the market decide a worker's compensation versus a CEO's compensation?

3- Does a worker have any rights? Does the CEO?

If you don't know what a market is, you have no business posting here.

2-The market doesn't decide compensation versus other occupations it determines the worth of specific jobs. For instance the market doesn't determine wages for a truck driver based on a physician's wages. It determines how much it must pay in order to attract workers with the best skills.

3-Workers and CEO's have rights as provided by the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies