U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
 
11,128 posts, read 12,372,439 times
Reputation: 3668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
TN welcome to my world a month before Obama announced he was running for office. The plug was yanked long ago. Even prior to that I felt myself retreating more to net, rental documentaries, PBS, Cspan, etc. The white noise of this brand of civilization is deafening, isn't it? Soon the Pope will have a billboard on his behind. The marketeers haven't figured out how just yet but give them time to free enterprise Catholicism.

I disagree with your perceptions of Hillary's intentions. There is a danger in high end positions to find themselves partially blinded by the restraints of the job title precluding them from thinking outside the box. Like Colin Powell, she's treading in dangerous water trying to negotiate all sides and ethics/ constitutional issues may get lost hammering out the details. What she and progressives have always intended to defend was the integrity of information, not to dictate what's said and by whom. Whether or not they've succeeded in doing that... looks to me like there are still Americans who continue to believe Obama is a muslim raised in a madrassa and Saddam/Iraq sent and airplane to WTC. I really have no idea how to fix that if there are far too many people preferring someone lie to their face to make them feel better about themselves. This avoidance, the confrontation of the self we do in grown up personal accountability--- too many in the masses have been led around to find a scapegoat as a full time profession. They're instructed to purchase a gun and shoot the teacher that would free them from the scapegoat salesman. So long as accountability is cloaked in millions of misdirections, high stakes players laugh all the way to the western civilization monetary system they control. Are we having fun yet?

The problem with so much abstraction upon abstraction law & technology relative to the human animal-- we're able to write wild checks our bodies can't pay. I'm able to destroy the state of Tennessee with vial of Anthrax just because you personally hurt my feelings one day. How does anyone know for sure who to believe if there's no unbiased source? If what we call news and recorded history isn't an elaborate whisper campaign? How many holocaust deniers can humanity afford to have around once photoshop is so good no one can believe a photograph? Nothing happening in the news is anything we personally witness and even if we did it's not as if we say the full comedy of error setting up a tragedy from the onset.

I understand the need for the US to get "its message out", but watching that video, there is a sense or feeling of urgency that is conveyed. It gives the sense of weakness and futility, as well as being an admission of overt propaganda at the same time as denouncing our own media as being inane and grossly negligent in its duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
Reputation: 6875
The only wars America could possibly win are those where brawn is the primary factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Reputation: 27519
Congrats Tn. There's plenty on the net, especially foreign news and information sites.
You'll find your info and favorite sites in due time. It takes a bit to find reliable sites.

I gave up DirecTV about 3 years ago. There's hulu.com for the escape..I do watch Burn Notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,245,696 times
Reputation: 3088
You're preaching to the choir here, Tn. People here complain about the stupidity of Fox News (and, IMO, rightly so) but almost ALL cable news is idiotic. For instance, I've been going to the BBC and Al Jazeera English for their coverage of the Mideast revolutions. Forget Fox, MSNBC and CNN. I also watch France 24 (I speak French) and the CBC. 24hour American news is an embarassment to this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Cancel my Satellite service and get rid of the television. I don't watch TV much as it is and after a series of discussions, then watching this clip from RT News, something just clicked.

Someone once said that the more you watch TV the less you know, and having spent about 1 1/2 hrs watching cable news last night, I've concluded that watching FOX, MSNBC and CNN is the fastest route to self inflected mental degradation when combined with general programming of sitcoms and un-real reality TV. It isn't mere dimming of your mind, its a voluntary lobotomy combined with reprogramming measures to keep you obedient, apathetic, and stupid.


Look and listen to the tone of Mrs Clinton, she appears genuinely fearful and worried about losing the information wars to places like RT, Al Jazeera, and basically all the new net upstarts that are sweeping aside ALL US news media and press.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6sYB...layer_embedded

A couple of things of note on this clip. Notice that even Clinton points out the inane banality of US media and why it isn't helping the US government win the war of minds abroad, because our media is now so idiotic that even the third world countries shake their heads at its level of stupidity.

In light of numerous recent admissions where places like the NY Times, Washington Post and most of the majors have 'curtailed programming at the request of the White House', such as the spy still being held in Pakistan and other like stories, the media is already 'government friendly' in its message to the American citizen, in other words, propaganda. Now it seeks billions of dollars in State Department funding to spread the gospel of America BS to the rest of the world.

I conclude that at current, the only place actual free information, be it sound or fluffy, credible, incredible or bunk, is on the net. It is the only place I can go and pick the information or entertainment I want instead of what others choose for me. So other than PBS, LINK, Turner Classic Movies, I must say goodbye Bill Maher, Bill O'rielly, Maddow and Hannity, goodbye to all, I'm claiming my mind back and I taking the first months Satellite savings and treating myself to a fat steak dinner.

Now I'm off to shop for a new bookself to replace the empty space where my TV once was.
You could also take more stress of sorting the issues for yourself by not voting ;if you want . That is your right.Even better stop visiting forms if you really want o turn on and dropout.Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 AM
 
11,961 posts, read 12,431,767 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I understand the need for the US to get "its message out", but watching that video, there is a sense or feeling of urgency that is conveyed. It gives the sense of weakness and futility, as well as being an admission of overt propaganda at the same time as denouncing our own media as being inane and grossly negligent in its duty.
I hear you and concur all those messages are present. The motive behind it: she's more frustrated by the fact that 'facts' aren't facts anymore in the hearts and minds of a nation fighting 2 un-wars (or is it 20?). We are too splintered as a nation relative to the united front of other nations. There's a strong possibility that Dems trying to hold up both ends with ankle biter opposition will fail to guard this nation. Her cards are on the table, no matter how distasteful they may be and no matter how she looks doing so- she's not a slave to appearance or false bravado. If she had a preformed agenda she could have done an end run around it using national security card in back room deals the exact same way Bush/Cheney did riding on authoritarian airs. Don't get me wrong, I support Assange, but her concerns about rightful covert status in the hands of sensationalists cannot be considered lightly. Ask the troops for their vote if you doubt it's necessity.

I cannot help but conclude from consistent behaviors over long period of time it's a deliberate assault on our sovereignty whether or not people can stand above all this noise/ 500 wedge issues and see from a birds eye view the motive behind turning our congress into a war games arena. It was a joint bit of legislation between koch/coors libertarian think tank and neocon republicans that became the sugar in the gas tank of the global economy. I do not believe it was a mistake. They meant it.

Koch bros utilizing psy ops tactics are steering this nation out from under it's formally elected officials. Looks to me our entire government is experiencing a hostile takeover by a 'corporation'. We are so strung out in abstract existence (legally, monetarily and technologically) as individuals we cannot function as humans independently. The Amish have immunity. And those living on Yachts, allegiance to none. It's happening from within, not some 'mooslim' in a cave but so long as sober people are occupied trying to calm down village idiots, the real crime continues unabated. Military tactics are being utilized.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. What does that mean to sociopaths with multi-trillions in their pockets?

William Buckley was rightfully vexed.
Quote:
"Anarcho-Totalitarianism."

What the Kochs were doing, as Mayer astutely notes, is implementing the strategy originally laid out by Lewis Powell's now infamous 1971 memo to the director of the US Chamber of Commerce, by which the political culture of the United States would be transformed on behalf of individuals and corporations of great wealth. The primary obstacle Powell identified was not the remnants of the late-'60s antiwar and civil rights movements, which were both in the process of disintegration. Rather, they sought to undermine the "respectable elements of society" and replace them with people like themselves.
Money Well Spent | The Nation
The first rounds was the 80's business ethic run into the ground to drive out Judeo Christian work ethics.
This round military betrayed by contractors funding taliban, attack cops, firemen, teachers, intellectuals, journalists, earnest public officials... who's next on the henchmans list? Religious after the faux religious cry wolf 5 dozen times, then the real religious persecution will get ignored. Drain everyone down with false alarms going off everywhere. A few dems stepped out of the fray and headed to a think tank of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 AM
 
17,022 posts, read 9,064,676 times
Reputation: 5685
I think they (Clinton Et al) are concerned mostly with the domestic propaganda.

Wonder why Obama doesn't have a "Propaganda Czar".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
28,987 posts, read 18,998,551 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Cancel my Satellite service and get rid of the television. I don't watch TV much as it is and after a series of discussions, then watching this clip from RT News, something just clicked.

Someone once said that the more you watch TV the less you know, and having spent about 1 1/2 hrs watching cable news last night, I've concluded that watching FOX, MSNBC and CNN is the fastest route to self inflected mental degradation when combined with general programming of sitcoms and un-real reality TV. It isn't mere dimming of your mind, its a voluntary lobotomy combined with reprogramming measures to keep you obedient, apathetic, and stupid.


Look and listen to the tone of Mrs Clinton, she appears genuinely fearful and worried about losing the information wars to places like RT, Al Jazeera, and basically all the new net upstarts that are sweeping aside ALL US news media and press.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6sYB...layer_embedded

A couple of things of note on this clip. Notice that even Clinton points out the inane banality of US media and why it isn't helping the US government win the war of minds abroad, because our media is now so idiotic that even the third world countries shake their heads at its level of stupidity.

In light of numerous recent admissions where places like the NY Times, Washington Post and most of the majors have 'curtailed programming at the request of the White House', such as the spy still being held in Pakistan and other like stories, the media is already 'government friendly' in its message to the American citizen, in other words, propaganda. Now it seeks billions of dollars in State Department funding to spread the gospel of America BS to the rest of the world.

I conclude that at current, the only place actual free information, be it sound or fluffy, credible, incredible or bunk, is on the net. It is the only place I can go and pick the information or entertainment I want instead of what others choose for me. So other than PBS, LINK, Turner Classic Movies, I must say goodbye Bill Maher, Bill O'rielly, Maddow and Hannity, goodbye to all, I'm claiming my mind back and I taking the first months Satellite savings and treating myself to a fat steak dinner.

Now I'm off to shop for a new bookself to replace the empty space where my TV once was.


I agree with you that network and cable news outlets have become largely irrelevant since the Internet has come into it's own. I would also add that even using the Internet as a primary source of information requires a tremendous commitment to sifting out the truth from many sources. Having said that, I'm pleased that so many new sources of information are available on the web. We at least have a chance to expose the lies which went unchallenged in years and decades past. No surprise Ms. Clinton speaks so fondly of a time when propaganda was dispensed to a world populated by those who had few tools with which to dissect this "official information".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 AM
 
5,235 posts, read 3,007,657 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
BTW TnHT- thanks for another interesting post. TV is worse than a wasteland. A wasteland will only starve you. TV will make you dumb while doing so.

We watched a half hour of CNN last evening and all I got out of it was higher blood pressure. Turned TV off and listened to classical music on FM radio. My wife didn't want to hear "Pulse" by Pink Floyd again. When I am alone and the neighbors are away I play that with the system cranked to about 90+ db or so.
My neighbors get a dose of Division Bell on a starry night in quadraphonic Led,the Dead,Motor Head...you name it we play it...T.V. SUX...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
 
11,128 posts, read 12,372,439 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I hear you and concur all those messages are present. The motive behind it: she's more frustrated by the fact that 'facts' aren't facts anymore in the hearts and minds of a nation fighting 2 un-wars (or is it 20?). We are too splintered as a nation relative to the united front of other nations. There's a strong possibility that Dems trying to hold up both ends with ankle biter opposition will fail to guard this nation. Her cards are on the table, no matter how distasteful they may be and no matter how she looks doing so- she's not a slave to appearance or false bravado. If she had a preformed agenda she could have done an end run around it using national security card in back room deals the exact same way Bush/Cheney did riding on authoritarian airs. Don't get me wrong, I support Assange, but her concerns about rightful covert status in the hands of sensationalists cannot be considered lightly. Ask the troops for their vote if you doubt it's necessity.

I cannot help but conclude from consistent behaviors over long period of time it's a deliberate assault on our sovereignty whether or not people can stand above all this noise/ 500 wedge issues and see from a birds eye view the motive behind turning our congress into a war games arena. It was a joint bit of legislation between koch/coors libertarian think tank and neocon republicans that became the sugar in the gas tank of the global economy. I do not believe it was a mistake. They meant it.

Koch bros utilizing psy ops tactics are steering this nation out from under it's formally elected officials. Looks to me our entire government is experiencing a hostile takeover by a 'corporation'. We are so strung out in abstract existence (legally, monetarily and technologically) as individuals we cannot function as humans independently. The Amish have immunity. And those living on Yachts, allegiance to none. It's happening from within, not some 'mooslim' in a cave but so long as sober people are occupied trying to calm down village idiots, the real crime continues unabated. Military tactics are being utilized.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. What does that mean to sociopaths with multi-trillions in their pockets?

William Buckley was rightfully vexed.
Money Well Spent | The Nation
The first rounds was the 80's business ethic run into the ground to drive out Judeo Christian work ethics.
This round military betrayed by contractors funding taliban, attack cops, firemen, teachers, intellectuals, journalists, earnest public officials... who's next on the henchmans list? Religious after the faux religious cry wolf 5 dozen times, then the real religious persecution will get ignored. Drain everyone down with false alarms going off everywhere. A few dems stepped out of the fray and headed to a think tank of their own.

When one lets their mind wander in the weeds of these issues you put forth, it is hard not to notice the google of rabbit holes in the field surrounded by land mines to 'protect us from the banners at our gates'.

It is easy to see how this can be a contrived thing, but at the same time the level of complexity in dealing with the endless nuances and periphery matters, one can also see how this can be what I've heard called a 'Tacit Conspiracy'. A tacit conspiracy is not one in which people collude to do a thing, but one in which individuals with common goals commit to common actions towards the same end point. In doing so, they indirectly conspire unannounced to each other to achieve a certain similar aim.

In this scenario we can see how easily that be it the Koch brothers or Soros or whatever financial lord of the manor it may be has fingers in every side of the government pie. No one with financial interests in any given thing is going to place all their eggs in one basket. Matters not if it is a Republican or Democratic President, administration, Congress person or official, since elections require such vast sums of capital, they all bend down to drink from the same muddy trough.

Who writes the bulk of financial legislation... finance lobbyist? Who writes the bulk of health care legislation... health care lobbyist? Who pushes for greater spending in the defense budget... defense lobbyist? Who would normally write stories or broadcast stories where these groups intrude too far or the government drinks too deeply... the press? Not any more. The press and media being corporate for profit things are not going dig too deeply when a story or information might hurt their own financial interest and dent their bottom line.

Do all these people and groups conspire together, I say no, but they act together independently with similar goals and in doing so, the produce similar actions and with a press in the same bucket, there are few to say, "you can't do that", other than the people who pay close attention. Yet most people are bombed with bunk and at war with what I believe is the false dichotomy of left vs right, when it should be people v government-military industrial-corporate-media complex. While we bicker over the periphery, our wallets are being emptied, our rights being infringed and the nation is going broke.

The last gasp of a dying empire is to loot the treasury and head for the Caymans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top