U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,406,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
3 Days of the Condor.

Read everything. Collect the kernels of truth. Then try to figure out what it all means.
The book was 6 Days of the Condor. The movie lopped off 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,660,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I give you my word that if you don't find that book one of the best written books you have ever read, I'll buy it from you. Its not just the great content, the guy is a magician when it comes to writing and it is hard to put his stuff down.
I've requested both books through the library. Can't wait to get a phone call from the local librarian telling me to pick 'em up!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,921,856 times
For a nation of superficial, materialistic people what sort of media should we expect to have?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM

39,075 posts, read 23,170,087 times
Quote:
I understand the need for the US to get "its message out", but watching that video, there is a sense or feeling of urgency that is conveyed. It gives the sense of weakness and futility, as well as being an admission of overt propaganda at the same time as denouncing our own media as being inane and grossly negligent in its duty.
I was thinking about this this past weekend. A few decades ago, when arguably the brand "America" was at its peak, Southeast Asia was seeing revolutions ripple across the region in much the same way we are seeing revolutions ripple across the North Africa/Middle East region right now. Then, when the idea of democracy was so strongly associated with America, when Americans were still riding the wave of popularity because of our actions during World War II and our subsequent economic strength, those revolutions in Southeast Asia reflected the strength of the communist message. Obviously, there are a number of reasons for that, but I think it's notable that when the American brand is actually being weakened, when there is a strong message that Americans don't spread democracy but instead spread imperialism, when our global popularity is waning, that the most recent uprisings reflect the strength of the democracy message.

I think the urgency in the video may reflect the idea that we are losing ownership of the message, not that the message isn't getting through. But that democracy isn't an American brand anymore. What's scary about that is that when we lose ownership of the message, we lose control of the message. And isn't that what this thread is about. Our government's efforts to control the message, to own the brand, to regulate it?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM

23,761 posts, read 16,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
For a nation of superficial, materialistic people what sort of media should we expect to have?
Exactly! The other day while shopping I overheard a woman say to her friend..."I have to hurry home so that I do not miss Jersey Shore".

I have never watched that show nor do I intend to, just as I never wear clothing that has some designers logo on it. Whose reality is it anyway? Some nitwit, but certainly not mine.

BTW..This woman that I overheard, just moments before passed between me and the shelf of merchandise I was browsing without so much as an "excuse me". Yes, the typical brain dead numbskull that would be rushing home to watch "Jersery Shore".

Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,195,645 times
Quote:
Cancel my Satellite service and get rid of the television. I don't watch TV much as it is and after a series of discussions, then watching this clip from RT News, something just clicked.

Someone once said that the more you watch TV the less you know, and having spent about 1 1/2 hrs watching cable news last night, I've concluded that watching FOX, MSNBC and CNN is the fastest route to self inflected mental degradation when combined with general programming of sitcoms and un-real reality TV. It isn't mere dimming of your mind, its a voluntary lobotomy combined with reprogramming measures to keep you obedient, apathetic, and stupid.

Look and listen to the tone of Mrs Clinton, she appears genuinely fearful and worried about losing the information wars to places like RT, Al Jazeera, and basically all the new net upstarts that are sweeping aside ALL US news media and press.

RT Win: Clinton asks for cash as US 'losing world info war' - YouTube

A couple of things of note on this clip. Notice that even Clinton points out the inane banality of US media and why it isn't helping the US government win the war of minds abroad, because our media is now so idiotic that even the third world countries shake their heads at its level of stupidity.

In light of numerous recent admissions where places like the NY Times, Washington Post and most of the majors have 'curtailed programming at the request of the White House', such as the spy still being held in Pakistan and other like stories, the media is already 'government friendly' in its message to the American citizen, in other words, propaganda. Now it seeks billions of dollars in State Department funding to spread the gospel of America BS to the rest of the world.

I conclude that at current, the only place actual free information, be it sound or fluffy, credible, incredible or bunk, is on the net. It is the only place I can go and pick the information or entertainment I want instead of what others choose for me. So other than PBS, LINK, Turner Classic Movies, I must say goodbye Bill Maher, Bill O'rielly, Maddow and Hannity, goodbye to all, I'm claiming my mind back and I taking the first months Satellite savings and treating myself to a fat steak dinner.

Now I'm off to shop for a new bookself to replace the empty space where my TV once was.
excellent post.

people are tuning out to msm garbage. The truth is completely obliterated by useless corporate media. That's why they want the sheep to keep talking about stupid celebs and piers morgan. The truth of what is happening is a wake up call.

NO more trash media. Both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies