Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,192,950 times

Advertisements

they let go of .50 cal sniper rifles i mean do they need to immobilize a vehicle, because a .50 BMG round in the engine block will shut it down quickly. If it is necessary to breach barriers I mean a .50 BMG round will penetrate most commercial brick walls and concrete cinder blocks.

some how letting drug cartels walk with a gun that has a effective range of over 1,800 metres and serious stopping power seems like a bad idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Makes you wonder if they are the ones selling the cartels rocket launchers and grenades too.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:01 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,797,893 times
It's a big business getting bigger. A big business with all the typical big business support.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

467 posts, read 1,187,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they let go of .50 cal sniper rifles i mean do they need to immobilize a vehicle, because a .50 BMG round in the engine block will shut it down quickly. If it is necessary to breach barriers I mean a .50 BMG round will penetrate most commercial brick walls and concrete cinder blocks.

some how letting drug cartels walk with a gun that has a effective range of over 1,800 metres and serious stopping power seems like a bad idea
Okey Dokey, let's just check that Barrett .50 BMG out and you tell me if it's the kind of weapon the public can carry and have a concealed weapons permit for it. Would it ever fit down one's pants?

One Mile Sniper Kill Shot | Military.com

Now, that you have seen the video...can you now tell me what the ATF was thinking? Is this the kind of gun that you can go deer hunting with? Or, is it the type of gun there you can sit on top of a building on the other side of the border and pick off border patrol agents? Hum...let me think.

WTH were you ATF guys thinking? Oh, I'm sorry...you weren't!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,494,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Here's a little more on the story. Nothing more then a continuation of the war on drugs that's been going on for the past 40 years. A war that will never be won but just drains our tax dollars. Just pathetic.
ATF Mexican gun-smuggling sting scrutinized
Can't the same be said for the war on weapons? It's Mexico that makes guns illegal - yet there's a demand for weapons all the same.

Legalize guns. Otherwise people must turn to the black market to fill their need for them.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 PM

467 posts, read 1,187,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Can't the same be said for the war on weapons? It's Mexico that makes guns illegal - yet there's a demand for weapons all the same.

Legalize guns. Otherwise people must turn to the black market to fill their need for them.
Well, I hear all the time down here that it our fault (Americans) for the drug problems! So, that get me to ask..."how do you figure that, no ones putting a gun to your head to tell you to sell them to us, are they?

Answer: "No, but because you want them, we have to sell them too you, which forces us to make them and then sell them to you!"

That's when they throw in the..."Supply and Demand" argument!

Not that I agree with what the ATF just did...the morons! But, guns are illegal here. Well, unless you are hunting an elephant or a stray donkey, then it's ok.

But, you don't hear me saying..."Oh, you want the guns, so we have to give them too you, because you force us to give them to you...supply and demand!"

You see, where does this make sense...it doesn't. What makes even crazier sense is to sell a military grade weapon to anyone. I don't care if you are an American citizen, WTH are you going to do with it anyways...shoot can's in the neighbors backyard a mile away?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,542,364 times
If Americans have the right to own firearms, why shouldn't Mexicans have the right as well? You'd think the Second Amendment folks would be happy for them.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If Americans have the right to own firearms, why shouldn't Mexicans have the right as well? You'd think the Second Amendment folks would be happy for them.
I'd say only if they were over here legally. The 2nd amendment applies to citizens of the US.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,542,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd say only if they were over here legally. The 2nd amendment applies to citizens of the US.

No, they can stay in their own country. But what does it matter if they have guns, as long as they're staying over there?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,494,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Well, I hear all the time down here that it our fault (Americans) for the drug problems! So, that get me to ask..."how do you figure that, no ones putting a gun to your head to tell you to sell them to us, are they?

Answer: "No, but because you want them, we have to sell them too you, which forces us to make them and then sell them to you!"

That's when they throw in the..."Supply and Demand" argument!

Not that I agree with what the ATF just did...the morons! But, guns are illegal here. Well, unless you are hunting an elephant or a stray donkey, then it's ok.

But, you don't hear me saying..."Oh, you want the guns, so we have to give them too you, because you force us to give them to you...supply and demand!"

You see, where does this make sense...it doesn't. What makes even crazier sense is to sell a military grade weapon to anyone. I don't care if you are an American citizen, WTH are you going to do with it anyways...shoot can's in the neighbors backyard a mile away?
Yes, I don't see the double standard myself.

When it comes to drugs, the Mexicans will shrug and say it's all our fault because the drug addicts here want their drugs, so they have to traffic drugs over the border no matter what and besides if we want it stopped, that's the job of our customs and border control at the border.

But when it comes to weapons coming into their country, they still want no responsibility. They want to buy weapons so it's our fault for selling them to them. They also have customs agents but so what, it's still our fault.

They need to look at their arguments better - if drugs should be legalized because having them illegal isn't going to stop them from delivering and selling them here, then the same argument should apply to guns.

The real problem is the border itself. The cartels control it, neither government controls what goes back and forth across that border. Or neither government wants to do it's job for various reasons.

If they can't control a mere 2000 mile long line, then they can forget controlling vast areas. A 1 dimensional line is feasible to control but a 2 dimensional huge area is not. I suspect the real goal is to try to control our citizens and remove our Constitutional rights and this is just a pretext.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies